Re: [SODZ] Interest in Fresh Hop Order?

  • Marc Peabody
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
      Definitely in, especially so for Cascade.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 1, 2012, at 12:17 AM, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@...> wrote:

      Not trying to be a corporate shill, but...

      Last year Roger at Gentile's did a buy order on fresh hop Citra, which was shipped to the store within a day of being picked (you'd want to be able to pick it up and use it shortly after it comes in). He hasn't said anything about doing it again this year, but I thought I'd see what sort of interest there might be if he decides we want to do it again. There were other varieties available last year, but Citra was the only one that there was enough interest in to warrant making a bulk purchase. I believe the price came out to be in the neighborhood of $19/lb. Also keep in mind that fresh, wet hops have more water weight than dry, so this would be approximately the equivalent of 2.5 ounces of dry. Fresh hops are most suited for late additions, to capture the more volatile compounds that are thought to be driven off during the drying process. If there is a decent amount of interest among SODZ folk, I can put the bug in his ear and see if a fresh hop buy could be set up for this coming harvest season.

      As another side note, we are WELL stocked on Amarillo and Simcoe, so if you've been looking for it, come buy some so I don't look like an idiot for ordering in a shit ton of it only to have it sit in the cooler.

      =
    • cheddar56
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2012
        I'm interested regardless of the hop variety chosen to order.

        Cheers,
        Mike

        --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, Marc Peabody <marcpeabody@...> wrote:

        > Definitely in, especially so for Cascade.
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Jul 1, 2012, at 12:17 AM, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Not trying to be a corporate shill, but...
        > >
        > > Last year Roger at Gentile's did a buy order on fresh hop Citra, which was shipped to the store within a day of being picked (you'd want to be able to pick it up and use it shortly after it comes in). He hasn't said anything about doing it again this year, but I thought I'd see what sort of interest there might be if he decides we want to do it again. There were other varieties available last year, but Citra was the only one that there was enough interest in to warrant making a bulk purchase. I believe the price came out to be in the neighborhood of $19/lb. Also keep in mind that fresh, wet hops have more water weight than dry, so this would be approximately the equivalent of 2.5 ounces of dry. Fresh hops are most suited for late additions, to capture the more volatile compounds that are thought to be driven off during the drying process. If there is a decent amount of interest among SODZ folk, I can put the bug in his ear and see if a fresh hop buy could be set up for this coming harvest season.
        > >
        > > As another side note, we are WELL stocked on Amarillo and Simcoe, so if you've been looking for it, come buy some so I don't look like an idiot for ordering in a shit ton of it only to have it sit in the cooler.

      • thespiderwrangler
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 15, 2012
          Orders will be taken for the following varieties:

          Amarillo
          Cascade
          Simcoe
          Centennial

          Price will be $25/lb, which includes a $5 down payment per pound. When hops are shipped this fall, you'll need to be able to come in to get them and brew with them ASAP.
        • thespiderwrangler
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 16, 2012
            Correction, while the price is still $24.99/lb, the down payment will be $10 of that, rather than $5.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2012
              Just a heads up/reminder for anyone interested in the fresh hop pre-order, that orders must be in by this Saturday, the 28th.

              --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@...> wrote:

              > Correction, while the price is still $24.99/lb, the down payment will be $10 of that, rather than $5.
              >
              > --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Orders will be taken for the following varieties:
              > >
              > > Amarillo
              > > Cascade
              > > Simcoe
              > > Centennial
              > >
              > > Price will be $25/lb, which includes a $5 down payment per pound. When hops are shipped this fall, you'll need to be able to come in to get them and brew with them ASAP.

            • Jeff Rogers
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 26, 2012
                Jeff Lewis wins pilsner urquell competition at 9:18pm central time for 2nd year in a row.

                Damn!

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Jul 26, 2012, at 4:56 PM, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@...> wrote:

                Just a heads up/reminder for anyone interested in the fresh hop pre-order, that orders must be in by this Saturday, the 28th.

                --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@...> wrote:

                > Correction, while the price is still $24.99/lb, the down payment will be $10 of that, rather than $5.
                >
                > --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Orders will be taken for the following varieties:
                > >
                > > Amarillo
                > > Cascade
                > > Simcoe
                > > Centennial
                > >
                > > Price will be $25/lb, which includes a $5 down payment per pound. When hops are shipped this fall, you'll need to be able to come in to get them and brew with them ASAP.

              • Ben Siefker
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 26, 2012
                  Incredible!  Win once, shame on you. Win twice, shame on the Czech Republic...  Congratulations, Jeff

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jul 26, 2012, at 10:19 PM, Jeff Rogers <jeff528@...> wrote:

                  Jeff Lewis wins pilsner urquell competition at 9:18pm central time for 2nd year in a row.

                  Damn!

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jul 26, 2012, at 4:56 PM, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@...> wrote:

                  Just a heads up/reminder for anyone interested in the fresh hop pre-order, that orders must be in by this Saturday, the 28th.

                  --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@...> wrote:

                  > Correction, while the price is still $24.99/lb, the down payment will be $10 of that, rather than $5.
                  >
                  > --- In SODZ@yahoogroups.com, "thespiderwrangler" <thespiderwrangler@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Orders will be taken for the following varieties:
                  > >
                  > > Amarillo
                  > > Cascade
                  > > Simcoe
                  > > Centennial
                  > >
                  > > Price will be $25/lb, which includes a $5 down payment per pound. When hops are shipped this fall, you'll need to be able to come in to get them and brew with them ASAP.

                • Richard Sheppard
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 26, 2012
                    Awesome! Congratulations. We need pictures this time.

                    --
                    Richard Sheppard
                    richardlsheppard@...

                  • Andy Robson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27, 2012
                      That's awesome Jeff! Great job

                      Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4GLTE

                      --
                      Richard Sheppard
                      richardlsheppard@...
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 28, 2012

                        Excellent work Jeff! Congratulations!!!

                        --
                        Richard Sheppard
                        richardlsheppard@...

                      • Richard Sheppard
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 21, 2012
                          Ryan, have they given you a rough idea when this order will be in? Hopefully, we will have enough advance notice to make a starter.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 21, 2012
                            I don't think we will end up getting a whole lot of notice, but I'll ask for the pre-order customers to be notified ASAP. Best case is that we get told the day they day before they plan on picking and shipping, and would have 48 hours notice. Worst case is we find out we're getting them when they show up at the shop.