Re: Greetings...

  • thomas_pa1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2001
      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Daniel Thomas" <daniel_reji@h...> wrote:
      > Dear Emil Mishriky,
      >
      > Let Our Lord's blessing with you
      >
      > As u assumed, we are one of the Oriental Orthodox Church. Our head
      is
      > the Patriarch Of Antioch and all the east.
      >
      > There is no eastern orthodoxy in India so far.

      There is a Greek Orthodox mission based in Calcutta. Visit
      here:
      http://www.ocmc.org/countries/india/

      This mission calls themselves the "India Orthodox Mission"
      and claims that their mission is the first Orthodox mission
      in India after St. Thomas. In the future they may develop
      in to an "Indian (Greek) Orthodox Church", especially
      since a situation of tension exists in the true Orthodox
      Church in India (i.e. the Malankara Church).

      > Regarding the schisms, one group within our church is trying to
      > become an independent church under the Catholicos of East. This
      > crated a very sad divisions and court cases by our brothers.
      > We all Hope a day will come to end of this schisms. Please pray for
      > that.
      >
      > Please also try to visit the following community and try to become a
      > member of it.
      >
      > http://communities.msn.com/StGeorgeSyrianOrthodoxChurchCheppaud
      >
      > Be in touch with us
      >
      > In our Lord's Love
      >
      > Thomas Daniel

      The Malankara Church of India is an integral part of
      Oriental Orthodox communion. Established by St. Thomas
      in India, the Church accepted the Syrian rites against
      the rites imposed by Portuguese RC. The Malankara Church
      ordained their first "Mar Thomas" by their own priests
      laying hands of "Jathikku-Karthavyan" (leader of the
      community) Thoma and named him the first "Mar Thoma".
      Current succession of Malankara Church is from this
      "Mar Thoma". Malankara Church is divided in to Malankara
      Jacobite and Malankara Orthodox. Malankara Orthodox following
      the "Mar Thoma" lineage mantains the traditional identity
      of the Church and Malankara Jacobites increasingly
      adhere to traditions of West Syrians. Malankara Jacobites
      have several agreements with RC and Greek Orthodox. They
      also accept their sacraments (communion. marriage etc.)
      as valid in some cases.

      The Malankara Orthodox maintains strong ties with Coptic
      and Ethiopian Churches. The Malankara Orthodox also
      acknowledges the "Spritual" authority of Oriental
      Orthodox Patriarch of Anthioc while not accepting the
      intrusion of Patriarch in matters of internal administration
      which has caused much divisons in the past (formation of
      Mar Thoma Church, Thozhiyoor Church, Independent Knanaya
      Church just examples). The Church maintains that according
      to the protocol signed between Anthiocian Patriarch and
      Catholicos, the administrative authority of Malankara Church
      is the Holy Synod of India whose head is the Catholicose and
      "Mar Thoma". Malankara Jacobites on the other hands wants
      the Syrian Patriarch to rule the Oriental Malankara Church
      and are submitting Indian Churches of Malankara Nazranis
      to Syrians.

      In Christ,
    • Thomas Daniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2001
        Dear Thomas

        This style of argument and genre of writing is all too familiar to
        us. Many persons has for several years belittled the Patriarch and
        the Patriarch faction among Oriental Orthodox Christians on the
        internet, spreading the most blatant lies and gossip.

        As far as we concerned, the bottomline is that if the Catholicos
        faction thinks that they can subjugate the Patriarch faction they are
        dreaming. We have no intention of forcing the Catholicose faction to
        accept the authority of the Patriarch against their wishes; however,
        they are hell bent on forcing their authority over people who wish to
        be under the authority of the Patriarch through unethical means.
        Fortunately, we live in civilized societies where freedom of
        religious belief is a fundamental right and I am guarding mine very
        zealously!

        Keep in touch
        in Our Lords love
        thomas Daniel

      • thomas_pa1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2001
          Sir,

          I personally do not believe in faction politics. I can understand
          your difficulties and emotions.

          When we have an example of Christ who belittled himself
          from birth to death, how can I belittle some one more
          than Christ did for himself? This is just a humble question.

          Unity is a simple, yet the most profound concept in Christian
          faith, especially Orthodox faith. What unites two churches is
          not worldly authorities and power, but the true faith. I am
          not forcing my thoughts upon you, but sharing something
          because as an Indian Christian, unity of spiritual sons of
          Apostle Thomas must be our first preference. Take each
          interaction our Indian Church had with foreign Churhces,
          you will see that each one caused a division in
          Indian Church. Why this? Why?

          I sincerely request you (and me too ) to study the true nature
          of Oriental Orthodox Christianity in the context of Coptic and
          Ethiopian Churches, since we all follow the basic faith preserved
          by the Coptic Church and also in our times follow the path of
          Patriarch Shenouda who is a saint among us.

          Sincerely,
          Thomas