News: 'Catholicos Baselius Thomas I hasn't violated court orders'

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2002
      KOCHI: The Jacobite Syrian Christian Church has said that Catholicos
      Baselius Thomas I had conducted service only in churches which have
      accepted the constitution of the Jacobite Syrian Church and he does
      not want to enter the churches which follow the constitution of 1934.

      A statement from the Jacobite Syrian Church said that the Catholicos
      of the Orthodox faction has never welcomed the Supreme Court judgment
      in its true spirit. If they had accepted it, edicts would have been
      sent to parish churches to the effect that they had accepted the
      supremacy of the Patriarch of Antioch as envisaged by the court
      judgment.

      The accusations of the Catholicos of the Orthodox faction are
      contrary to the findings of the court. As the parish churches are not
      parties in suits and have opted out of the Malankara Association,
      framed a constitution for protecting their faith, tradition, freedom
      and object of foundation and also the fundamental rights guaranteed
      by the Constitution, the 1934 constitution does not affect the parish
      churches either on spiritual matters or on temporal affairs, since
      the parish general body is the final authority, the statement added.

      http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?
      ID=IER20020808141937&Title=Kerala&rLink=0