Re: Mother of God? Part 1

  • Issac K Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2002
      The author of this posting says this doctrine can found in
      the second century Fathers writings , but it is peculiar that
      he chooses as proof the writing of Tertullian, a man condemned
      as a heretic. Admittedly the text from Tertullian that he presents
      does reflect Orthodox teaching, but my question is why didn't author
      choose a text from a **true** Father of the Church, a title that
      Orthodoxy does not apply to heretics. We commemorate as Fathers
      men whom we also commemorate as Saints. It is western scholars
      who count as "fathers" all ecclesiastical writers of antiquity.

      Orthodoxy never needs to resort to heretical writers in order to
      support her doctrines, and certainly not to the exclusion of true
      Church Fathers.

      In Christ
      Issac K Joseph

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., SOCM-Moderator wrote:
      > From the second century onwards Church fathers had in no uncertain
      > terms held that Christ, born from holy Virgin Mariam, assumed a
      body
      > formed of the substance of her human essence.
      >
      > And was incarnate of the Holy Virgin Mary Mother of God, by the
      Holy