Re: Mother of God? Part 1

  • Steve Marin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2002
      It is commendable that the Moderator Daniel wishes to demonstrate the
      antiquity of the doctrine of the true enfleshing of the Son of God in
      the womb of the Virgin. He tells us this doctrine can be found in
      second century Fathers.

      Daniel, you'll find a great deal more (and better) second-century
      material in the works of St. Justin Martyr and St. Irenaeus of Lyon.
      But why not look to the FIRST century? We can go back to the FIRST
      century as well: St. Ignatius (the Godbearer) of Antioch called
      Mary "the mother of God the Logos (Word)" when he wrote in his
      epistle to the Ephesians (ch. 7, 18), "God was manifest in the flesh
      of born of Mary," "our God Jesus Christ was conceived in her womb."

      Steve Marin

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., SOCM-Moderator wrote:
      > From the second century onwards Church fathers had in no uncertain
      > terms held that Christ, born from holy Virgin Mariam, assumed a
      body
      > formed of the substance of her human essence.
      >
      > And was incarnate of the Holy Virgin Mary Mother of God, by the
      Holy
      > Ghost and became man;….. (Nicene Creed)
      >
      > Tertullian (155-240)
      >
      > This word is called His Son.. he was brought down from the spirit
      and....