Morth Mariam in the Sh-himo

  • Dr. Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 2:38 AM
      The hymns posted earlier by Thomas Daniel are sung by the laity in
      Malankara Churches during the Tooyobo (preparatory prayers preceding
      the public celebration of the Holy Qurbono). However, they are
      actually from the saphro (morning) liturgy of the Sh-himo (the Syriac
      Orthodox Common Prayer). Virtually every hymn in the canonical
      offices in the Sh-Himo has a section of stanzas which magnifies Morth
      Mariam. I am posting the translation of the hymn from d-saphro d-
      tleetho b-shabo (lit. morning of the third day of the week--Tuesday).
      The translation is from my forthcoming edition of the Holy Qurbono
      tekso in English from the original Syriac, translated faithfully in
      grammatically correct English (unlike the currently popular
      translation) and set to the appropriate qolo (meter). This hymn is
      set to the meter of daHto lo neHte. A few stanzas of the hymn are
      also sung in Malankara Churches during the Tooyobo; faithful from
      Malankara will recognize it as "dhanye mathave..." The manner in
      which it is sung in most churches is not faithful to the traditional
      qolo. I give you here both the original Syriac text and the English
      translation. The English is set to the traditional Syriac qolo but
      can also be sung in the tune now popular in Malankara (attributed by
      those I have consulted to Koruthu Malpan, who was taught the Beth
      Gazo by late Patriarch Ya`qub III but was in the Malankara Orthodox
      Church later). As with any hymn, the English will take a bit of
      practice to sing. (Note that in some cases the "and" at the beginning
      of a line and elsewhere have to be sung in a short syllable to fit
      the meter.)

      5. yoldath aloho: lek methkashfeenan emo m-barakto.
      dath-feeseen Hlofayn labro d-menek d-naH.
      dab-raHmé d-meneh nelHé shTor Hawbayn.
      w-mo dothé l-Harto l-deeno lo na`lan.
      `am halelooyah w-halelooyah.
      Sloothek tehwé lan shooro w-beth gawsov

      Bless-ed mother, we entreat you to plead
      for us to the Son who sprang forth from you.
      By His mercy may He erase our bonds
      and when He comes at the end, may He not judge us.
      Halleluiah w-Halleluiah.
      May your prayers be a fortress and refuge for us.

      6. emar leey maryam `nono qalyeelto.
      aykano T`enteey-haw ganbor `olmé.
      gabreeyel etho w-sabran w-emar leey.
      d-men `oobek donaH d-forooqeh d-`olmo.
      `am halelooyah w-halelooyah.
      w-hooyoo bashroro forooqeh d`olmov

      Recount to me Mary, O fleeting cloud
      How did you bear the God, Mighty for ever?
      "Gabriel came and greeted me and said,
      `From your womb will dawn the Savior of the world.'"
      Halleluiah w-Halleluiah.
      And He surely is the Savior of the world.

      7. sanyo haw daHzo mooshé b-Toor seenay.
      lek hoo Soy-ar hwo bthulto qadeeshto.
      sanyo roshem hwo l-gushmek qadeesho.
      wabthulayk Tarfaw d-lo ethHarak hwaw.
      `am halelooyah w-halelooyah.
      w-nuro dabsanyo aloho d-bek shrov

      The bush that Moses saw on the Mount Sinai
      was symbolic of you, O Holy Virgin
      The bush indicated your holy body
      and the leaf unsinged*, your virginity.
      Halleluiah w-Halleluiah
      and the fire on the bush, God Who dwelled in you.

      *singe - scorch, to burn superficially or lightly

      8a. bthulto qadeeshto emeh damraymo.
      qareb bo`ootho Hlof `awleh d`olmo.
      d-ho zaw`é qshayo waqrobé w-qeersé.
      Hdeereeyn loh lar`o wabHasho yothbo.
      halelooyah w-halelooyah.
      Sloothek tehwé lan shooro w-beth gawsow

      Holy Virgin Mother of the Most High God
      offer petitions for the sins of this world.
      Behold! rough trembles, wars and misfortunes
      encircle the earth and it sits in sorrow.
      Halleluiah w-Halleluiah.
      May your prayers be a fortress and refuge for us.

      8b. dukrono d-maryam nehwé l-borkothan
      waSlootho tehwé shooro l-nafshothan.
      d-moro danbeeyé wad-shleeHé w-sohdé.
      dnaH menoh wetho l-furqoneh d-`olmo.
      halelooyah w-halelooyah.
      w-hooyoo bashroro forooqeh d`olmov

      Let Mary's memory be a blessing for us all
      and may her prayers be a fortress for our souls.
      The Lord of the prophets, apostles and martyrs,
      sprang forth from her and came to save the world.
      Halleluiah w-Halleluiah.
      And He truly is the Savior of the world.

      a. and b. are variants in different manuscripts.

      In these days of fasting commemorating the Virgin Mary, Mother of
      God, may her intercession be a fortress and refuge for our church and
      her faithful children!

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
      Technical Editor, Hugoye (http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/)