Acknowledge Her as Mother of God

  • SOCM Moderator
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 31, 2002
      "Nestorious should be ashamed, and should place his hand on his lips.
      This Child is God. How then can she who bore Him be anything but
      God's Mother? If anyone does not acknowledge her as Mother of God,
      such a one is far removed from the Godhead. These words, though it is
      I who use them, are not my own for I have inherited these glorious
      teachings from Gregory the Theologian. Let us adore God alone, the
      Creator and Maker of all things. Let us offer to Him the worship of
      latria as to God who is of His very nature adorable. Let us revere,
      too, the Holy Mother of God, not indeed as God, but as God's Mother
      according to the flesh." Saint John Damascene (676-754)

      From a letter by Saint Cyril of Alexandria, bishop:

      "That anyone could doubt the right of the holy Virgin to be called
      the Mother of God fills me with astonishment. Surely she must be the
      Mother of God if our Lord Jesus Christ is God, and she gave birth to
      him! Our Lord's disciples may not have used those exact words, but
      they delivered to us the belief those words enshrine, and this has
      also been taught us by the holy fathers.

      In the third book of his work on the holy and consubstantial Trinity,
      our father Athanasius, of glorious memory, several times refers to
      the holy Virgin as "Mother of God." I cannot resist quoting his own
      words: "As I have often told you, the distinctive mark of holy
      Scripture is that it was written to make a twofold declaration
      concerning our Savior; namely, that he is and has always been God,
      and that for our sake in these latter days he took flesh from the
      Virgin Mary, Mother of God, and became man."

      Again further on he says: "There have been many holy men, free from
      all sin. Jeremiah was sanctified in his mother's womb, and John while
      still in the womb leaped for joy at the voice of Mary, the Mother of
      God."

      Athanasius is a man we can trust, one who deserves our complete
      confidence, for he taught nothing contrary to the sacred books.The
      divinely inspired Scriptures affirm that the Word of God was made
      flesh, that is to say, he was united to a human body endowed with a
      rational soul. He undertook to help the descendents of Abraham,
      fashioning a body for himself from a woman and sharing our flesh and
      blood, to enable us to see in him not only God, but also, by reason
      of this union, a man like ourselves. It is held, therefore, that
      there are in Emmanuel two entities, divinity and humanity. Yet
      our Lord Jesus Christ is nonetheless one, the one true Son, both God
      and man; not a deified man on the same footing as those who share the
      divine nature by grace, but true God who for our sake appeared in
      human form. We are assured of this by Saint Paul's declaration: When
      the fullness of time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born
      under the law, to redeem those who were under the law and to enable
      us to be adopted as sons."

      Prayer
      Father, the bishop Cyril courageously taught that Mary was the Mother
      of God. May we who cherish this belief receive salvation through the
      incarnation of Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the
      Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

      Every Grace Through Her
      "All gifts, virtues, and graces of the Holy Ghost are administered by
      the hands of Mary to whomsoever she desires, when she desires, in the
      manner she desires, and to whatever degree she desires. Mary is the
      dispensatrix of all the graces God bestows. Every grace granted to
      man in this life has three successive steps: from God it comes to
      Christ, and from Christ to the Virgin,and from the Virgin it descends
      to us. -St. Bernardine of Siena, "On the Birth of the Blessed
      Virgin"

      BIBLICAL BASIS
      (a) Luke 1:43: Elizabeth calls her "mother of my Lord." In the NT,
      "Lord" refers only to God.
      (b) Mt 1:23: "Behold the virgin shall be with child and bear a son,
      and they shall name Him " Emmanuel," which means "God is with us."
      (c) Luke 1:35: "the child to be born will be called holy, the son of
      God."
      (d) Gal 4:4: "But when the fullness of time had come, God sent His Son
      , born of a woman."

      EARLY CHURCH FATHERS
      "For our God, Jesus Christ, was conceived by Mary, in accord with
      God's
      plan..." LETTER TO THE EPHESIANS, 18, 2; Jurgens, P. 18, # 42. (St.
      Ignatius,
      110 A.D.)

      "The Virgin Mary, ... being obedient to His word, received from an
      angel the glad tidings that she would bear God. " AGAINST HERESIES,
      5, 19, 1; Jurgens, p. 101, #26a. (St. Irenaeus, 180-199 A.D.)
    • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 9, 2002
        Dear in our Lord,
        I read the many letters posted in this site upholding the values of
        christian witnessing in our society. All will agree that this is a shame on
        all Christians but nobody is willing to to be patient and prudent.
        The recent problems are created on the basis of the finding of the supreme
        court that the election at the Parumala meeting was acceptable. This is in
        continuation to the finding of the Kerala High Court in the execution
        petition 2000 that the claim of the Catholicose faction that " the Malankara
        Metropolitanship of Mathews 11 Catholicose was accepted by the SC in 1995
        Judgement " was untenable. The above claim was grounded by the verdict of
        the SC to conduct an election under an observor to find whether he had the
        mandate of the people. This direction itself proves that the former claim
        was baseless.

        Now their claim that the SC has given Mathews 11 Catholicose all the
        privileges to enter any of the parish churches is meaningless.
        It is the age old tradtion of the Malankara Church that Any spiritual head
        should be invited by the parish through its vicar for a visit. This right
        itself is the core of all the privileges enjoyed by the parishes. Moreover
        it is the most inappropriate move from a spiritual leader to seek the police
        protection to enter a church agaist the wish of its members. Here all
        propriety of the meaning of the term 'Bava' (beloved father) is lost.
        Keeping aside all the legal claims and interpretations of the findings from
        the courts, I will say it is against all the norms of the human
        relationships.

        The most tragic part of the recent move is the after effects of the HATE
        CAMPAIGN that is taking place in various places. This will release the anti
        social and politicised elements in the community to utilise the oppertunity
        to win their game at the expense of the church and the bible. The stand of
        an uncontented UDF leader is the best example . He is using this oppertunity
        to spit scandalous words agaist his rivals.

        The media coverage for this unhappy episode also will at the end be agaist
        the goodwill of the Christian works in the society.

        Finally, the legal part should start again from the Additional District
        Court of Ernakulam,Commonly known as the 'PALLY KODATHI'.This was suggested
        by the HC recently that the Catholicose side can move an execution petition
        intead of seeking police protection from the court and the government. There
        is a pending execution petition filed as per the direction of the Division
        Bench of the Kerala High Court in 2000. The Judgement of the Supreme Court
        in 1995 should be implemented in its tatality and the implemenation is not
        only the authority of the Malankara Metropolitan but other points like (1)
        the spiritual supremacy of the Patriarch of Antioch, (2)The rights of the
        parish churches, (3)The extent of meaning of the Throne of St. Thomas,(4)
        The autocephaly of the Malankara Church! as it was claimed by the
        Catholicose group,(5)Can the Catholicose group withdraw the acceptance of
        the spiritual supreme of the church?, etc. are also dealt there. (If the
        Catholicose group has any right to withdraw the relations with the Patriarch
        why not the parishes too have that right to keep away from the faction
        headed by the same Catholicose?)

        The implementing should cover all the above points.
        If someone of acceptance will come forward and find these facts and try to
        make a converging point I am sure there will be meaningful peace in the
        church.
        God bless us.
        Kuriakose Corepicopa Moolayil