Morth Mariam Yeldos Aloho, (St. Mary) Part-1

  • Fr. K.K. John
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 31, 2002
      Morth Mariam Yeldos Aloho, (St. Mary)

      Mary is familiar name for Bible readers. 7 different women bear the
      name, Mary in the New Testament.

      1, St. Mary, mother of Jesus.
      2, Mary, Mother of James and Joses, Mat 27:5, Mk 15:40, Lk 24:10.
      3, Mary Magdalene from whom Jesus cast out 7 demons, Mk 16:9,
      Lk 8:2.
      4, Mary, sister of Lazarus and Martha Lk 10: 39-42, John 12:3-4.
      5, Mary, Wife of Cleopas, Jn 19:25.
      6, Mary, Mother of John Mark, AA12: 12.
      7, Mary who greeted Paul at Rome, Rom 16:6.

      Multiplicity of names, absence of clear identification to discern
      relationship between each of them and translation errors have
      contributed lot of confusion and gave room for many erroneous
      interpretations concerning blessed Mary, the mother of God.

      Bible does not give enough details about St. Mary such as her birth,
      her parents, her life before conception of Jesus, her life with
      Joseph, death of Joseph, her life after the departing of Jesus,
      especially her death, etc. It is really difficult to construct a
      biography only based on Biblical references.

      Numerous traditions have emerged on these matters. Many of them are
      contradictory and some are even of vicious origin. While Roman
      Catholics heavily rely on such traditions and exalt her equal to God,
      Protestants fully repudiate the whole traditions as absurd because
      they are not found in the Holy Bible. Orthodox Church, as ever
      before, follows a medium course namely; we have neither added nor
      deleted anything from the genuine apostolic teaching. Thus we
      acknowledge her status as a created being. She was not born
      different. She, like any other human being, inherited at birth and
      shared in the fallen nature of Adam. She grew up like any other girl
      of her age yet, in humility and devotion. She found favor with God.
      The Holy Spirit purged her from all impurities of original sin just
      when she conceived Jesus. Her virginity was unaffected by the divine
      conception, bearing and delivery. She remained chaste virgin even
      after birth of Jesus. She was not defiled by human contact through
      out life either before or after divine conception as God predestined.
      Ezekiel's vision of `the shut gate' symbolized Mary, the mother of
      Jesus. In other words, the shut gate was the shadow of which St.Mary
      was the substance. "This gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened,
      and no man shall enter by it, because the Lord, the God of Israel has
      entered in by it." Ezk 44:2. Jerusalem temple had most holy place,
      which was separated by a veil, usually shut and the high priest
      entered only once a year on the Day of atonement, Heb 9: 7.
      Jerusalem Temple built by Solomon or any other temple for that matter
      had no such eternally shut gate through which human beings were
      forbidden to pass. Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, invaded,
      besieged, ransacked and destroyed Jerusalem temple around BC 600.
      Ezekiel saw the vision in BC 574 that is 26 years after the temple
      destruction. Spoils of the temple were only survived then. Thus,
      Ezekiel was referring to a heavenly `new messianic temple,' not to
      the Jerusalem or any earthly temple. This confirms and supports
      ever-virginity of St. Mary.

      We confer her first position before all apostles and saints but not
      equal to God for creation shall never equal the creator. We adore,
      venerate and honor her as first among saints but we do not worship
      her. Worship belongs to God alone. It was her unqualified submission,
      unmatched devotion to the ultimate will of God and active
      participation in the redemptive plan that merited her the first
      position before all saints. For this reason, we commemorate her day
      of departing (Soonoyo), not the day of birth, as the feast of the
      Church on August 15th.

      End of Part 1
      To be continued....
    • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 9, 2002
        Dear in our Lord,
        I read the many letters posted in this site upholding the values of
        christian witnessing in our society. All will agree that this is a shame on
        all Christians but nobody is willing to to be patient and prudent.
        The recent problems are created on the basis of the finding of the supreme
        court that the election at the Parumala meeting was acceptable. This is in
        continuation to the finding of the Kerala High Court in the execution
        petition 2000 that the claim of the Catholicose faction that " the Malankara
        Metropolitanship of Mathews 11 Catholicose was accepted by the SC in 1995
        Judgement " was untenable. The above claim was grounded by the verdict of
        the SC to conduct an election under an observor to find whether he had the
        mandate of the people. This direction itself proves that the former claim
        was baseless.

        Now their claim that the SC has given Mathews 11 Catholicose all the
        privileges to enter any of the parish churches is meaningless.
        It is the age old tradtion of the Malankara Church that Any spiritual head
        should be invited by the parish through its vicar for a visit. This right
        itself is the core of all the privileges enjoyed by the parishes. Moreover
        it is the most inappropriate move from a spiritual leader to seek the police
        protection to enter a church agaist the wish of its members. Here all
        propriety of the meaning of the term 'Bava' (beloved father) is lost.
        Keeping aside all the legal claims and interpretations of the findings from
        the courts, I will say it is against all the norms of the human
        relationships.

        The most tragic part of the recent move is the after effects of the HATE
        CAMPAIGN that is taking place in various places. This will release the anti
        social and politicised elements in the community to utilise the oppertunity
        to win their game at the expense of the church and the bible. The stand of
        an uncontented UDF leader is the best example . He is using this oppertunity
        to spit scandalous words agaist his rivals.

        The media coverage for this unhappy episode also will at the end be agaist
        the goodwill of the Christian works in the society.

        Finally, the legal part should start again from the Additional District
        Court of Ernakulam,Commonly known as the 'PALLY KODATHI'.This was suggested
        by the HC recently that the Catholicose side can move an execution petition
        intead of seeking police protection from the court and the government. There
        is a pending execution petition filed as per the direction of the Division
        Bench of the Kerala High Court in 2000. The Judgement of the Supreme Court
        in 1995 should be implemented in its tatality and the implemenation is not
        only the authority of the Malankara Metropolitan but other points like (1)
        the spiritual supremacy of the Patriarch of Antioch, (2)The rights of the
        parish churches, (3)The extent of meaning of the Throne of St. Thomas,(4)
        The autocephaly of the Malankara Church! as it was claimed by the
        Catholicose group,(5)Can the Catholicose group withdraw the acceptance of
        the spiritual supreme of the church?, etc. are also dealt there. (If the
        Catholicose group has any right to withdraw the relations with the Patriarch
        why not the parishes too have that right to keep away from the faction
        headed by the same Catholicose?)

        The implementing should cover all the above points.
        If someone of acceptance will come forward and find these facts and try to
        make a converging point I am sure there will be meaningful peace in the
        church.
        God bless us.
        Kuriakose Corepicopa Moolayil