Maramon Convention from today

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 3363 , Feb 11, 2007
      PATHANAMTHITTA: The Mar Thoma Evangelistic Association of the Mar Thoma Syrian Church of Malabar and Government departments have made elaborate arrangements for the 112th annual Maramon Convention beginning on Sunday.

      Mar Thoma Metropolitan Philipose Mar Chrysostum will inaugurate it at 2.30 p.m.

      Joseph Mar Ireneus Saffragan Metropolitan, president of the association, will preside over the inaugural meeting.

      Bishop Robert M. Solomon of the Singapore Methodist Church will deliver the keynote address. Association's general secretary, Johnson P. Mathew, will present a report.

      Samuel Kobia, general secretary of the World Council of Churches, R.
      Rajkumar, director of the Haggai Institute in Singapore, and Anni Lotz, daughter of Billi Graham, will be the main speakers at the convention.

      Religious discourses will be held in three sessions that begin at 10.30 a.m., 2.30 p.m. and 7 p.m. from February 12 to 17. Bible classes will be held separately for men and women at the venue from 7.30 a.m. to 8.30 a.m. from February 12.

      The meet, billed as the largest annual Christian religious congregation in the country, will end on February 18.

      The evangelical association has erected a shed (Pandal) to accommodate one-lakh people on the Pampa riverbed at Maramon. Members of the local parishes of the Mar Thoma Church have supplied men and material for the work on the pandal, the organisers said.

      Missionary units and social service agencies of the Church have set up information centres at the convention venue.

      The Mar Thoma Sevika Sanghom, Bible Society of India and Church dioceses will have stalls at the venue.

      Government departments have opened their temporary units at Maramon.

      Source: http://www.hindu.com/2007/02/11/stories/2007021102590300.htm
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3363 of 3363 , Apr 1 5:29 AM
        Dear honorable members