Devotional thoughts for all Souls Sunday – 11th Feb 07

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 3370 , Feb 10, 2007
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Luke 12: 32-40

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In the first sentence of today�s reading our Lord grants us more comfort. �Fear not, little flock�. It is better to analyze ourselves and finalize what sort of fear is there in our minds. The next sentence makes it clear that what was intended by our Lord, when He exhorted us not to fear. �It�s your Father�s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.� Let us examine ourselves and see whether we all were worried about the occupation of the kingdom of God.

      The next sentence in the statement of our Lord might not be so pleasing to many of us, when and where He commands, �sell what you have and give alms�. We find in St. Matthew 19: 16-19 that the same advice was given to a man who came to our Lord expressing his willingness to follow our Lord. It is needless to say what the response of the man was. He also might have thought in the same way as we are thinking now. But we all are supposed to think why our Lord insisted us to sell what we have. What our Lord means is that we must relinquish the right of ownership of our worldly riches and savings. We all behave as if we are the true owners of what we occupy and enjoy, whether it is ancestral or out of our own effort. We all have been taught that we all are only trustees of the worldly wealth and riches under our command and disposal, where the true owner is God Almighty. Our Lord is reminding this great truth. By selling a property or so, the owner loses his/her ownership right. In our thoughts and deeds, we often forget the fact that we are not the real owners and God Almighty is the real and genuine owner. So when we will have to give alms, we think twice or thrice, where as when we spend for our own pleasures we spend money on the spot, without any rethinking. When we listen to the exhortations for donations of any sort of genuine cause on humanitarian causes, immediately we would lose our happiness. This is quite natural and human. We often get back from giving alms with pleasure due to our thought of ownership rights. The modern society fears the shortage of his/her own wealth when and where all are longing to increase �our� tens as hundreds and hundreds as thousands. When we would realize that the wealth and riches under our disposal are belonging to God Almighty we would not feel much to give alms properly. If so there wont be any hindrance or block for granting aids to benevolent activities. Even if we handover our ownership right our Lord will not take back the riches from us. They will be
      with us only.

      Our Lord promise that one who is generous and caring to the downtrodden, poor and needy of the society could have treasures in heaven against their services to such. How true is our Lord�s word that where your treasure is, there will be your hearts too. We must long to have as much savings as we could have in heaven. If so our hearts will remain in heaven.

      In the verses from 35 to 40 of today�s reading we find the repeated
      exhortations from our Lord to wait for His second coming. It is explained in the very simple language, so that every listener would have a bright idea of the topic. The hymn after the reading of the Holy gospel (Evengelion) �Yajamanan varumannerath� is composed from this Biblical portion. We must have vigil waiting for His second coming, for which we find so many exhortations in the New Testament.

      What would have been the reason for adding this Biblical portion on the day we honor and pray for all the departed souls? One reason must be
      1) our beloved departed ones must have lived their lives in true expectation of the Lord and we must praise God Almighty for the blessings showered up on them.
      2) Beseech to God Almighty to shower more and more blessings on them
      3) Try to make our role models in our lives
      4) Pray for the forgiveness of their sins.

      Let us pray �Lord have mercy on us and all our departed ones� with full trust and faith in Lord Jesus.

      May God bless us all.
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3370 of 3370 , Nov 1 4:47 AM