Devotional thoughts for 2nd Sunday after Denaha – 14th Jan 07

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 3362 , Jan 14, 2007
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. John 1:43-51

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In the first verse of today�s reading we find a brief description about our Lord�s call given to St. Philip. Let us realize that our Lord had uttered only two words, �follow me� to get St. Philip in the fold of the Apostles.

      Kindly take special note of the verses 44 and 45, where St. Philip is introducing Lord Jesus to Nathaniel. St. Philip opened his mind and spoke about Lord Jesus. �We have found him, of whom Moses in the law and the Prophets did write, Jesus of Nazareth�. Philip could present his own version about Lord Jesus within a few hours of his audience with our Lord. What is the witness of you and me? How we could introduce our Lord God, about whom we have heard, whom we have seen and whom we have tasted, from the early days of our life on this earth? Let us think and find out an answer. Will we be able to confess that He is our Lord God, our redeemer and our Savior? And
      if we could not, let us try our best to find out why we could not do so. Other wise our faith, worship and prayers are null and void and of no use.

      Nathaniel raised a reasonable doubt on hearing that Lord Jesus hailed from Nazareth. He asked �Can there be any good come out of Nazareth�? When these words struck in the ears of Philip, he said �come and see� because he knew that Nathaniel was a great scholar. Philip�s reply to Nathaniel was greatly appreciable than his decision to follow our Lord soon on hearing His invitation to follow Him. In one thing Philip was confident. He was sure that there won�t be a chance to change his own confession about Lord Jesus, in front of Nathaniel or anyone else like him. Philip�s faith and conviction was so strong and bold. Let us think why we cannot uphold such a faith like that of Philip.

      When our Lord saw Nathaniel approaching Him soon on the invitation of Philip, our Lord said, �Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no guile�. What a sincere and appealing appreciation? Let us think whether our Lord could tell such an opinion about you and me. Oh Lord God, when you screen me, how many scrolls full of the lists of sins would be seen. Let us realize that the numberless sins are always blocking our way ahead in the spiritual growth and stability.

      When our Lord said the first report about Nathaniel, he was getting more and more humble. If I was in his place what would have been my attitude and posing? Nathaniel asked our Lord, where you had seen me, in sincere and humble words. When Nathaniel heard the right answer for his question from our Lord, Nathaniel said �Rabbi, you are the son of God, you are the king of Israel. When Nathaniel had a close watch at our Lord, he realized the divineness, holiness and simplicity of our Lord. He easily understood that Lord Jesus was the one for whom the Israel tribe was waiting for, generations after generations. Nathaniel was sure and certain that the entire humanity had been waiting for Lord Jesus and that is why he uttered �you are the King of Israel.�

      Immediately Nathaniel got a reply in his great favor. It was a great
      blessing in the life of a human being. We read in verse 51 � verily verily I say unto you, Hereafter you shall see heaven open and the angels of God ascending and descending up on the Son of man.

      Let us also wait to inherit such a blessing. Let us try our best to remove all sorts of hypocrisies and disguises from us. During His blessed public mission our Lord had spoken mostly about hypocrisies. In our personal lives we are filled with hypocrisies and disguises, instead of the real faith and love. Let us realize in humbleness that unless and until we would seek freedom from hypocrisies, we will not inherit a meaningful and valid spiritual life. Let us cleanse ourselves. Let us humble ourselves

      May God bless us all
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3362 of 3362 , Mar 1 5:41 AM