Re: New Constitution & the future

  • thomas_pa1
    Message 1 of 91 , Jul 12, 2002
      Dear Shri Jacob, Let us not discuss the administrative abilities of
      Mar Divannasios. I have no opinion about this. Regarding the
      constitution of 1934, didn't Mar Divannasios and other bishops accept
      this constitution in the Supreme Court. There is record that they
      accepted it. So, what is wrong if I conclude that the 1934
      constitution was the common constitution of both factions, approved
      also by the Patriarch of Anthioc.

      In the letter dated 9.12.1958 Patriarch said "we hereby accept mar
      Gheevarghse as Catholicos". And the Catholicos in a letter of
      reconciliation said "We are pleased to accept Mar Ignatius Yakub 111
      as Patriarch of Anthioc, ... subject to the constitution. We are happy
      to receive Metropolitans under his obedience in Malankara subject to
      the provisions of the constitution". This was the peace formula.
      The constitution of 1934 was thus acceptable to both parties.

      Catholicos and Mar Yulios with their supporters, priests and laity
      assembloed at Old seminary on December 16, 1985 at 11.00 PM and
      exchanged the letters of acceptance. Thus the consitution of 1934 was
      so drafted with one aim, to unite the Malankara church so that there
      is only One Holy synod, One Malankara Metran and One Catholicos for
      the Malankara Church. Soon after this there was Malankara Association
      convened on 1958 for the one Malankara Church.

      Few years ago, Catholicos issued a kalpana read in all malankara
      parishes. The topic was acknowledging the spiritual supremacy of
      Oriental Orthodox Patriarch of Anthioc. I heard this myself. So,
      issuing another Kalpana for the same thins is not needed today. One
      can just refer to the old Kalpana.

      Regarding the opinion of Fr. V.M. Thomas, the constitution does not
      carry the name "Indian Orthodox".

      I want to conclude by saying that administrative decisions of Nicea is
      not strictly followed today, though faith of Nicea is followed. Nicea
      has many administrative decisisions. Some for Church in Byzantine
      empire.

      So, the constitution of 1934 was accepted by both factions and the
      Patriarch. The purpose of the constitution was unity.

      Today, the administration of a parish church is carried out by the
      people of the Parish. The Vicar of the parish is the president of
      theis body. Thus every parish belongs to the parish members. But each
      parish first acknowledge the authority of Malankara Metran. This is to
      ensure the unity of the Church. The process we have in Malankara is to
      ensure the integrity of our community and growth of the Church in
      India. Actually our fight is for nothing. No real aim for it other
      than feeling of fear and our emotions. Adding to this is cynicism and
      numerous inferiority complexes of Keralite people.

      Regarding Anthioc, Anthioc did clearly had an aim to have temporal
      authority over Malankara Parishes. Jacobites faction must sincerely
      confess this. That is how problems started. Malankara Matran couldn't
      surrender the temporal authority. Asking him to do this is too much.
      We do not believe in infallibility of any one. Jacobite faction should
      also confess that certain things went wrong from their side instead of
      always criticising the other faction. I know that no one is perfect.

      -Thomas

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., jacob.joshua wrote:
      > Dear Mr Thomas,
      > Your question is genuine and natural. The existing constitution you
      mean is
      > the 1934 constitution ? If so, the very nature, genesis and the
      existence
      > of that 1934 constitution is completely wrong. This was formed by
      the
      > Orthodox faction alone and passed by them for the benefit of
      Vattipanam.....
    • SOCM- Moderatores
      Message 91 of 91 , Jul 23, 2002
        Dear SOCM forum members,

        According to the "Mangalm Daily", the declaration of
        ordination of Mor Dionysius Thomas as Catholicose of
        Malankara Jacobite Church is going to be on 28th Friday.

        Mor Divanyisos and Mor Gregarious are in Damascus. And the
        Church trusty Mr. T. George returned to Kerala.

        News in Malayalam please visit http://www.mangalam.net/

        Forum Moderators