Devotional thoughts for 4th Sunday after Pentecost – 2nd Jul 06.

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 3367 , Jun 15, 2006
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Luke 10:1-16

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      The advices to the 70 messengers who were sent to 35 cities before our
      Lord�s public mission in those cities, is the main theme of today�s reading.
      Our Lord advises them that the Harvest is plenty; the workers are less, so
      pray to the Lord of Harvest to send more workers. Let us think about the
      three words, about which we have some sort of understanding from our
      practical lives. 1) Harvest, 2) Lord of the Harvest, 3) Pray. We could see
      an almost similar illustration in St. Matthew 9:37-38. We all know what is
      meant by harvest. When somebody sows the seed of certain plants. When the
      new plants take life, somebody else feed them with manure and water.
      Somebody else reap the fruits. When the fruits are ripe enough, the fruits
      are separated from the original plants and the act of separation of the
      fruits is commonly known as the Harvest. Kindly listen to the more clear
      explanation of our Lord in St. John 4: 35-39. The 36th Verse confesses that
      our Lord is not mentioning about the Harvest through which man could hoard
      the grains or fruits in storerooms. Mostly the person who sows might not be
      the man of harvesting. According to our knowledge the worker who reaps the
      crop would get the wages for the work. But the condition here is entirely
      different. Please listen to the message of Verse No-36. The person who reaps
      the crops reserves the wages of the work in eternity, so that the person who
      sowed and who harvested could enjoy. Kindly read 1 Corinthians 3:9 and learn
      the more detailed explanation of St. Paul in this regard.

      See our Lord God�s promise about the Shepherds who are supposed to rear us
      through the green pastures. In Jeremiah 3:15 we read our Lord God�s promise
      to send shepherds of our Lord�s will who would guide us with wisdom and
      knowledge. See what is our God�s concept about His shepherds. This is the
      sacred and unique scheme of the Lord of the Harvest. St. Paul explains about
      the style of implementing God�s wonderful plan of appointing/authorizing
      more workers for the Harvest in I Corinthians 12:28. St. Paul confirms the
      appointment of the Apostles in the first rank, then the Prophets and thirdly
      the advisors/priests. And God Almighty entrusted certain gifts with the
      shepherds of different ranks, like the gift of miracles, gift of curing the
      diseases etc.

      Our Lord�s command is to pray to the Lord of the Harvests for more workers.
      St. Paul exhorts us to pray so that the word of God would reach all the
      nooks and corners of the world and the name of God would be glorified.
      (Refer 2 Thessalonians 3:1) We often forget the truth that Lord God is
      sending the workers for the Harvest and He is the authority to send. Often
      we give importance for our interests and tastes. We ignore God�s command to
      pray to God Almighty and we depend our own power and brain. Are we supposed
      to determine the qualities and abilities of the workers of the Harvest? When
      man gets more money and power in the world, he desires to be in the position
      of God Almighty. Are we worthy of such a position? In almost all the
      discussion Forums of the faithful from Malankara, the topic is the
      qualifications/qualities and abilities of the shepherds. How we could
      justify it in the light of today�s Gospel reading? Kindly think soundly and
      do the needful to correct us. We must make it a point not to interfere in
      matters, which are to be handled by God alone. Let us humble ourselves and
      pray for His more mercy and compassion.
      On the basis of our Lord�s command to pray to the Lord of Harvest, our
      celebrants assign us to pray for them, when the dispersal message is granted
      ( Go in peace and pray for us for ever) How many of us are praying for our
      Metropolitans and the priests? Kindly think.

      It is clear that the advices given to the Apostles are repeated to the
      Messengers also (In the Verses 3-11 of today�s reading) Kindly read the 13th
      verse with much care and attention. Our Lord should not address, as in the
      above verse, �Oh the children of Malankara�.� Let us repent well before
      inviting such a situation. Let us seek the mercy and compassion of our God
      with real repentance and true faith.

      How many shepherds, who were sent to us by Lord God, were ignored/ridiculed
      by us? To many of them we did not give heed. May God forgive all our sins
      and trespasses. Our Lord reminds us that one who listens the words of the
      shepherds listens our Lord. Let us meditate more on Verse 16. May God bless
      us.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3367 of 3367 , Aug 1