Spiritual Words.

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 17 , May 31, 2006
      "...many have endured great ascetic labors, much hardship and toil for God's
      sake; but because they relied on their own judgment, lacked discrimination,
      and failed to accept help from their neighbor, their many efforts proved
      useless and vain."

      St. Mark the Ascetic.

      "Lift up your heads, O you gates! Lift up, you everlasting doors! And the
      King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts,
      He is the King of glory." Psalms 24:9-10
    • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
        Reading: From the Gospel according to St. John 15:1-14

        Dear and Respected Brethren,

        As far as the children of Abraham, the Father of all the faithful, Pentecost
        was a feast, on the fiftieth day after the feast of Pass over. On such a
        feast day of Pentecost only, the early Christians, including the Apostles as
        well as Mother of God and other few, were strengthened by God to continue
        the mission of the Savior of the mankind and the universe. The Apostles and
        others along with the blessed virgin Mother of God had waited for the Holy
        Spirit with one accord, as per the instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ
        prior to His blessed Ascension to Heaven. This is what we are learning in
        the first and second chapters of the Acts of the Apostles. Though all
        Christians have accepted the Holy Spirit through the Baptism and Holy
        Mooron, our life in the world necessitates us to renew the Holy Spirit in us
        and to keep it strong and full. Until recent years our faithful were eager
        to renew the status of the Holy Spirit in them. But somehow or the other, we
        are not so serious about the growth of the Holy Spirit in us. It seems that
        our faith and observation of the traditions and rituals are not at all
        serious. We all deal with them in a very cold mood. We must have a
        self-revival and eagerness to follow the footsteps of our ancestors and

        Kindly realize the uniqueness and very sweetness of the language used by our
        Lord and Savior, while He is explaining about the relation between Him and
        us. When we hear �I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener� we might
        feel it as so simple, but in fact how deep are they and their inner
        meanings? If we could see a healthy vine plant with lots of leaves and
        fruits in our minds, we could realize a lot. The gardener would desire
        plenty of fruits on all branches of the plant. In the 2nd verse it is
        mentioned that what would happen to the branch that might not bear fruits.
        We should not forget the truth that the faithful cannot do anything until
        and unless they might stay in our Lord and Savior, like a branch cannot bear
        fruits unless it�s connection with the main stem is strong and solid.

        Let us see what Lord Jesus, is offering us in verse 8, who only guaranteed
        that we could bear more fruits while staying in God the Father. �Herein is
        my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my
        disciples.� We all must bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit, then only God
        the Father�s name will be glorified and we all would be accepted as our
        Lord�s disciples. Kindly read a similar exhortation in St. Matthew 5:16. and
        Philippians 1:11. Now let us make sure about the number of fruits we have
        utilized for the glory of God. Remember that all these fruits and many
        others were granted to us free of cost. If our score is a big zero, we must
        pray with a mind of repentance �Merciful God, kindly make use of us for your
        glory�. We must humble ourselves and dedicate ourselves for His disposal.
        Let us try to understand the deep meaning of the 9th verse. Let us try to
        grasp the deep meaning of those words. Kindly separate a few seconds to
        determine the love we enjoy from our Lord God. Let us try to maintain a
        proper record of the love we enjoy from Lord God. Can we forget the
        searching, caring and sharing love of our Savior? He wants us to exchange
        the same style of love to our fellowmen. Our habitual nature is to say OK
        for all sorts of exhortations and to forget/ignore them totally later.
        Aren�t we? So let us take a decision slowly but wisely. Let us try to be
        grateful to God for all sorts of blessings and graces we do enjoy in every
        second. Let us take a decision to be good conductors of God�s love, as the
        electric wires do their assignments. Let us also receive more and more love
        from God and share them among the needy fellowmen.

        In the 10th verse our Lord teaches us the way to remain in His love. It is a
        very light and simple thing to obey our Lord�s commandments. What is our
        Lord�s commandment? It is to love God and our own fellowmen without
        reserves. Our Lord explains about it in the 11th and 12th verses.

        Our Lord says that this is the right means to enjoy the complete joy in our
        lives. Let us decide to which matter we are giving priority: to God Almighty
        or something else. Let the Holy Spirit of God guide us in everyday lives.
        God bless us all

        Jose Kurian Puliyeril
      • Rev. Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2006
          Dear beloved in Jesus Christ,

          We celebrate the feast of the Pentecost this year on the 4th of
          June. I feel that it is opportune at this time to think about the
          Holy Spirit.

          We read in the Bible about the day of the Pentecost; "And when the
          day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in
          one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a
          rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were
          sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of
          fire, and it sat upon each of them." (Acts 2:1-3)

          The Holy Spirit is a Dynamic power in Spiritual life. There are
          three personalities in God, Father, Son and the Holy Ghost (Spirit).
          These three personalities have one essence, one authority, one will,
          one nature, one thinking and one power. There is no difference
          amongst the three in terms of status, power, size etc. It is
          virtually impossible to understand this supernatural mystery of
          this "Unity in The Trinity" with our material logic and
          understanding. We know that the Light, Heat and Rays are integrated
          with the sun and are not separable nor divisible. In the same
          manner The Holy Trinity is one such spiritual mystery which needs
          divine revelation to comprehend. God cannot be compared to any
          other. To understand and know God, we need to experience Him.

          Before our Lord Jesus ascended to heaven he promised us the gift of
          the Holy Spirit. "And, being assembled together with them, commanded
          them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the
          promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For
          John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the
          Holy Ghost not many days hence." (Acts 1:4-5)

          The manifestations of the Holy Spirit are manifold:

          The Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter and Shield against sin. He is
          the champion of Righteousness and Judgment. "Nevertheless I tell you
          the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not
          away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will
          send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of
          sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:" (John 16:7-8)

          The Holy Spirit is the driving force of the Gospel and makes
          wondrous things happen."But ye shall receive power, after that the
          Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both
          in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the
          uttermost part of the earth." (Acts 1:8) "Through mighty signs and
          wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem,
          and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of
          Christ." (Romans 15:19)

          The Holy Spirit is the Source of all knowledge. "But God hath
          revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all
          things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Corinthians 2:10) And there
          is no way one can escape the power of the Holy Spirit. "Whither
          shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy
          presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my
          bed in hell, behold, thou art there." (Psalm 139:7-8)

          And to speak against the Holy Spirit is unpardonable "Wherefore I
          say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto
          men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven
          unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it
          shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy
          Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither
          in the world to come." (Matthew 12:31-32) "And grieve not the holy
          Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."
          (Ephesians 4:30)

          Therefore we should strive to know and receive the Holy Spirit. We
          should pray for the divine blessing in our lives. "And when he had
          said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the
          Holy Ghost." (John 20:22)

          The Holy Spirit should dwell in our hearts "Who hath also sealed us,
          and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts." (2 Corinthians
          1:22). So that our mortal bodies are strengthened and we live a full
          life. "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead
          dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also
          quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."
          (Romans 8:11) And enjoy the fruits of the Spirit, "But the fruit of
          the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness,
          faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."
          (Galatians 5:22-23)

          The days of waiting has come to an end. We wish you all receive the
          blessings of Holy Spirit abundantly and the Sprit is renewed in all
          of us

          May God Bless you all.

          Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
          Vicar, St: George Universal Syrian Orthodox Church, Kuwait