Spiritual Words.

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 17 , May 30, 2006
      CHRIST IS RISEN! TRULY HE IS RISEN!

      "It is impossible for the mind to remain undisturbed by thoughts, but anyone
      serious about the matter can certainly permit them entry or drive them away,
      and although their origin does not lie entirely under our control we can
      choose to approve of them and so adopt them."

      St. John Cassian.

      "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to
      those who are of the household of faith." Galatians 6:10

    • Mark Sadek
      Message 2 of 17 , May 31, 2006
        "...many have endured great ascetic labors, much hardship and toil for God's
        sake; but because they relied on their own judgment, lacked discrimination,
        and failed to accept help from their neighbor, their many efforts proved
        useless and vain."

        St. Mark the Ascetic.

        "Lift up your heads, O you gates! Lift up, you everlasting doors! And the
        King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts,
        He is the King of glory." Psalms 24:9-10
      • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
          Reading: From the Gospel according to St. John 15:1-14

          Dear and Respected Brethren,

          As far as the children of Abraham, the Father of all the faithful, Pentecost
          was a feast, on the fiftieth day after the feast of Pass over. On such a
          feast day of Pentecost only, the early Christians, including the Apostles as
          well as Mother of God and other few, were strengthened by God to continue
          the mission of the Savior of the mankind and the universe. The Apostles and
          others along with the blessed virgin Mother of God had waited for the Holy
          Spirit with one accord, as per the instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ
          prior to His blessed Ascension to Heaven. This is what we are learning in
          the first and second chapters of the Acts of the Apostles. Though all
          Christians have accepted the Holy Spirit through the Baptism and Holy
          Mooron, our life in the world necessitates us to renew the Holy Spirit in us
          and to keep it strong and full. Until recent years our faithful were eager
          to renew the status of the Holy Spirit in them. But somehow or the other, we
          are not so serious about the growth of the Holy Spirit in us. It seems that
          our faith and observation of the traditions and rituals are not at all
          serious. We all deal with them in a very cold mood. We must have a
          self-revival and eagerness to follow the footsteps of our ancestors and
          forefathers.

          Kindly realize the uniqueness and very sweetness of the language used by our
          Lord and Savior, while He is explaining about the relation between Him and
          us. When we hear �I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener� we might
          feel it as so simple, but in fact how deep are they and their inner
          meanings? If we could see a healthy vine plant with lots of leaves and
          fruits in our minds, we could realize a lot. The gardener would desire
          plenty of fruits on all branches of the plant. In the 2nd verse it is
          mentioned that what would happen to the branch that might not bear fruits.
          We should not forget the truth that the faithful cannot do anything until
          and unless they might stay in our Lord and Savior, like a branch cannot bear
          fruits unless it�s connection with the main stem is strong and solid.

          Let us see what Lord Jesus, is offering us in verse 8, who only guaranteed
          that we could bear more fruits while staying in God the Father. �Herein is
          my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my
          disciples.� We all must bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit, then only God
          the Father�s name will be glorified and we all would be accepted as our
          Lord�s disciples. Kindly read a similar exhortation in St. Matthew 5:16. and
          Philippians 1:11. Now let us make sure about the number of fruits we have
          utilized for the glory of God. Remember that all these fruits and many
          others were granted to us free of cost. If our score is a big zero, we must
          pray with a mind of repentance �Merciful God, kindly make use of us for your
          glory�. We must humble ourselves and dedicate ourselves for His disposal.
          Let us try to understand the deep meaning of the 9th verse. Let us try to
          grasp the deep meaning of those words. Kindly separate a few seconds to
          determine the love we enjoy from our Lord God. Let us try to maintain a
          proper record of the love we enjoy from Lord God. Can we forget the
          searching, caring and sharing love of our Savior? He wants us to exchange
          the same style of love to our fellowmen. Our habitual nature is to say OK
          for all sorts of exhortations and to forget/ignore them totally later.
          Aren�t we? So let us take a decision slowly but wisely. Let us try to be
          grateful to God for all sorts of blessings and graces we do enjoy in every
          second. Let us take a decision to be good conductors of God�s love, as the
          electric wires do their assignments. Let us also receive more and more love
          from God and share them among the needy fellowmen.

          In the 10th verse our Lord teaches us the way to remain in His love. It is a
          very light and simple thing to obey our Lord�s commandments. What is our
          Lord�s commandment? It is to love God and our own fellowmen without
          reserves. Our Lord explains about it in the 11th and 12th verses.

          Our Lord says that this is the right means to enjoy the complete joy in our
          lives. Let us decide to which matter we are giving priority: to God Almighty
          or something else. Let the Holy Spirit of God guide us in everyday lives.
          God bless us all

          Jose Kurian Puliyeril
        • Rev. Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2006
            Dear beloved in Jesus Christ,

            We celebrate the feast of the Pentecost this year on the 4th of
            June. I feel that it is opportune at this time to think about the
            Holy Spirit.

            We read in the Bible about the day of the Pentecost; "And when the
            day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in
            one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a
            rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were
            sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of
            fire, and it sat upon each of them." (Acts 2:1-3)

            The Holy Spirit is a Dynamic power in Spiritual life. There are
            three personalities in God, Father, Son and the Holy Ghost (Spirit).
            These three personalities have one essence, one authority, one will,
            one nature, one thinking and one power. There is no difference
            amongst the three in terms of status, power, size etc. It is
            virtually impossible to understand this supernatural mystery of
            this "Unity in The Trinity" with our material logic and
            understanding. We know that the Light, Heat and Rays are integrated
            with the sun and are not separable nor divisible. In the same
            manner The Holy Trinity is one such spiritual mystery which needs
            divine revelation to comprehend. God cannot be compared to any
            other. To understand and know God, we need to experience Him.

            Before our Lord Jesus ascended to heaven he promised us the gift of
            the Holy Spirit. "And, being assembled together with them, commanded
            them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the
            promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For
            John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the
            Holy Ghost not many days hence." (Acts 1:4-5)

            The manifestations of the Holy Spirit are manifold:

            The Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter and Shield against sin. He is
            the champion of Righteousness and Judgment. "Nevertheless I tell you
            the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not
            away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will
            send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of
            sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:" (John 16:7-8)

            The Holy Spirit is the driving force of the Gospel and makes
            wondrous things happen."But ye shall receive power, after that the
            Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both
            in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the
            uttermost part of the earth." (Acts 1:8) "Through mighty signs and
            wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem,
            and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of
            Christ." (Romans 15:19)

            The Holy Spirit is the Source of all knowledge. "But God hath
            revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all
            things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Corinthians 2:10) And there
            is no way one can escape the power of the Holy Spirit. "Whither
            shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy
            presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my
            bed in hell, behold, thou art there." (Psalm 139:7-8)

            And to speak against the Holy Spirit is unpardonable "Wherefore I
            say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto
            men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven
            unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it
            shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy
            Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither
            in the world to come." (Matthew 12:31-32) "And grieve not the holy
            Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."
            (Ephesians 4:30)

            Therefore we should strive to know and receive the Holy Spirit. We
            should pray for the divine blessing in our lives. "And when he had
            said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the
            Holy Ghost." (John 20:22)

            The Holy Spirit should dwell in our hearts "Who hath also sealed us,
            and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts." (2 Corinthians
            1:22). So that our mortal bodies are strengthened and we live a full
            life. "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead
            dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also
            quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."
            (Romans 8:11) And enjoy the fruits of the Spirit, "But the fruit of
            the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness,
            faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."
            (Galatians 5:22-23)

            The days of waiting has come to an end. We wish you all receive the
            blessings of Holy Spirit abundantly and the Sprit is renewed in all
            of us

            May God Bless you all.

            Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
            Vicar, St: George Universal Syrian Orthodox Church, Kuwait