Spiritual Words.

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 17 , May 30, 2006
      CHRIST IS RISEN! TRULY HE IS RISEN!

      "It is impossible for the mind to remain undisturbed by thoughts, but anyone
      serious about the matter can certainly permit them entry or drive them away,
      and although their origin does not lie entirely under our control we can
      choose to approve of them and so adopt them."

      St. John Cassian.

      "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to
      those who are of the household of faith." Galatians 6:10

    • H.B Catholicose Basalious Thomas 1st
      Message 2 of 17 , May 31, 2006
        Our most beloved moderators of SOCM Forum and all members of the Forum - the Holy Benediction in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ to you all

        Our Dear Children,

        Our prayers are with the SOCM-Forum which has through the internet promoted knowledge of the rites, traditions, and faith of the Universal Syriac Church exploiting technologies of this modern age, while owing full allegience to the Holy Church. Those who have worked for this good endeavor are to be congratulated; may God bless them with good reward for their efforts. It gives us much joy that, through this enterprise, future generations will receive spiritual encouragement, nurture their faith, and rooted in the traditions of the Holy Church in this modern era they will become witnesses of our Lord Jesus Christ

        From 2006 May 25 to June 4, the Holy Church commemorates the ascension and like the 120 or so faithful who congregated at the house in Zehyon, awaits the coming of the promised Holy Spirit. Those days marked the beginning of the Holy Church, as our early fathers showed us in those days, may we and the Holy Church renew ourselves spiritually through prayer and meditation.

        May GOD bless you all

        Basalious Thomas 1st Catholicose

        Patriarchal center
        Puthenkurizu

        To view the message in Malayalam (Original), please visit our homepage http://www.socmnet.org
      • Mark Sadek
        Message 3 of 17 , May 31, 2006
          "...many have endured great ascetic labors, much hardship and toil for God's
          sake; but because they relied on their own judgment, lacked discrimination,
          and failed to accept help from their neighbor, their many efforts proved
          useless and vain."

          St. Mark the Ascetic.

          "Lift up your heads, O you gates! Lift up, you everlasting doors! And the
          King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts,
          He is the King of glory." Psalms 24:9-10
        • SOCM News Bureau
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
            The Centre of Oriental Studies & Research of the Syriac Patrimony (Lebanon)
            in cooperation with the Council of Churches in Aleppo, held the XIth Syriac
            Patrimony Conference in Aleppo, Syria, from May 11 to 14, 2006. The
            Conference theme was "St Ephrem the Syriac, a Poet of our Times� in
            remembrance of the 1700 year of the poet�s birth (306 � 2006). It was
            organized within the celebrations of Aleppo as a Capital of Islamic Culture
            2006.

            The opening session on Thursday 11th May was marked by the presence of high
            level church and government officials, including H. E. the Syrian Minister
            of Culture, H. H. Patriarch Mar Ignatius Zakka I Iwas of the Syrian Orthodox
            Universal Church, a representative of the Lebanese Minister of Culture, the
            Mayor of Aleppo, MECC General Secretary, the President of the Centre of
            Oriental Study & Research from Lebanon.

            In his opening speech, H.H. Patriarch Zakka Iwas mentioned that: "St Ephrem
            the Syriac � the Syrian is not confined to one country nor to one nation,
            neither to one confession of faith; rather he is confined to all humanity".
            In turn, the Syrian Minister of Culture underlined that "Aleppo today is a
            unique example of cultural diversity, interaction and dialogue between
            cultures and civilizations". The Islamic culture, he said, is not a religion
            but rather a common awareness and adoption of all other cultures". An
            address sent by Lebanese President General Emile Lahoud, welcomed the idea
            of the conference stressing that "religions and cultures can interact and
            dialogue for the sake and happiness of humanity".

            Throughout the two and half working days, several eminent scholars from
            Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, UK, Germany and Belgium contributed to panels. They
            spoke about St Ephrem's poetry and his impact on the spiritual life of the
            different churches as well as on cultures all over the world.

            In the closing session, the Grand Mufti of Syria Sheikh Ahmad Hassoun
            praised the poetry of St Ephrem saying that, "after 1700 years, St Ephrem is
            still alive among us in a land which is blessed by heaven", emphasizing the
            universal nature of his poetry that touches all peoples� God, and its
            spirituality which will last forever. He ended saying, "today is the
            incarnation of heaven on all of us".

            The conference ended with follow up recommendations to be carried out by the
            Centre of Oriental Study & Research of the Syriac Patrimony.

            The MECC staff in Aleppo was asked to undertake the documentation and
            secretariat work of the conference, together with other members of the
            Aleppo Ecumenical Committee. For further information, kindly contact Mr.
            Razek Siriani at: rsiriani@... or visit the CERO Website at:
            www.moncero.org <http://www.moncero.org/>

            Middle East Council of Churches
            Office of International Ecumenical Relations P.O. Box 5376, Beirut, Lebanon

            Guirgis Ibrahim Saleh, General Secretary mecc@... or
            guirgissaleh@...

            +961-1-353-938
            http://www.mec-churches.org/
          • Malankara Voice
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
              1. Parishes and Individuals must curtail expenses and spend more for the poor: The Holy Episcopal Synod.
              http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/20060602SyndMang.htm

              2. Malankara Episcopal Synod approves the names of 4 bishop-designates elected by the respective dioceses.
              http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/20060602NewBisMan.htm

              3. The Church is ready to cooperate with the Govt. to find a justifiable solution to end the Church disputes: Catholica Bava
              http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/20060601BavaMang.htm

              Malankara Voice links:
              http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/news_section.htm
              http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12
            • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                Reading: From the Gospel according to St. John 15:1-14

                Dear and Respected Brethren,

                As far as the children of Abraham, the Father of all the faithful, Pentecost
                was a feast, on the fiftieth day after the feast of Pass over. On such a
                feast day of Pentecost only, the early Christians, including the Apostles as
                well as Mother of God and other few, were strengthened by God to continue
                the mission of the Savior of the mankind and the universe. The Apostles and
                others along with the blessed virgin Mother of God had waited for the Holy
                Spirit with one accord, as per the instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ
                prior to His blessed Ascension to Heaven. This is what we are learning in
                the first and second chapters of the Acts of the Apostles. Though all
                Christians have accepted the Holy Spirit through the Baptism and Holy
                Mooron, our life in the world necessitates us to renew the Holy Spirit in us
                and to keep it strong and full. Until recent years our faithful were eager
                to renew the status of the Holy Spirit in them. But somehow or the other, we
                are not so serious about the growth of the Holy Spirit in us. It seems that
                our faith and observation of the traditions and rituals are not at all
                serious. We all deal with them in a very cold mood. We must have a
                self-revival and eagerness to follow the footsteps of our ancestors and
                forefathers.

                Kindly realize the uniqueness and very sweetness of the language used by our
                Lord and Savior, while He is explaining about the relation between Him and
                us. When we hear �I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener� we might
                feel it as so simple, but in fact how deep are they and their inner
                meanings? If we could see a healthy vine plant with lots of leaves and
                fruits in our minds, we could realize a lot. The gardener would desire
                plenty of fruits on all branches of the plant. In the 2nd verse it is
                mentioned that what would happen to the branch that might not bear fruits.
                We should not forget the truth that the faithful cannot do anything until
                and unless they might stay in our Lord and Savior, like a branch cannot bear
                fruits unless it�s connection with the main stem is strong and solid.

                Let us see what Lord Jesus, is offering us in verse 8, who only guaranteed
                that we could bear more fruits while staying in God the Father. �Herein is
                my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my
                disciples.� We all must bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit, then only God
                the Father�s name will be glorified and we all would be accepted as our
                Lord�s disciples. Kindly read a similar exhortation in St. Matthew 5:16. and
                Philippians 1:11. Now let us make sure about the number of fruits we have
                utilized for the glory of God. Remember that all these fruits and many
                others were granted to us free of cost. If our score is a big zero, we must
                pray with a mind of repentance �Merciful God, kindly make use of us for your
                glory�. We must humble ourselves and dedicate ourselves for His disposal.
                Let us try to understand the deep meaning of the 9th verse. Let us try to
                grasp the deep meaning of those words. Kindly separate a few seconds to
                determine the love we enjoy from our Lord God. Let us try to maintain a
                proper record of the love we enjoy from Lord God. Can we forget the
                searching, caring and sharing love of our Savior? He wants us to exchange
                the same style of love to our fellowmen. Our habitual nature is to say OK
                for all sorts of exhortations and to forget/ignore them totally later.
                Aren�t we? So let us take a decision slowly but wisely. Let us try to be
                grateful to God for all sorts of blessings and graces we do enjoy in every
                second. Let us take a decision to be good conductors of God�s love, as the
                electric wires do their assignments. Let us also receive more and more love
                from God and share them among the needy fellowmen.

                In the 10th verse our Lord teaches us the way to remain in His love. It is a
                very light and simple thing to obey our Lord�s commandments. What is our
                Lord�s commandment? It is to love God and our own fellowmen without
                reserves. Our Lord explains about it in the 11th and 12th verses.

                Our Lord says that this is the right means to enjoy the complete joy in our
                lives. Let us decide to which matter we are giving priority: to God Almighty
                or something else. Let the Holy Spirit of God guide us in everyday lives.
                God bless us all

                Jose Kurian Puliyeril
              • Rev. Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2006
                  Dear beloved in Jesus Christ,

                  We celebrate the feast of the Pentecost this year on the 4th of
                  June. I feel that it is opportune at this time to think about the
                  Holy Spirit.

                  We read in the Bible about the day of the Pentecost; "And when the
                  day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in
                  one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a
                  rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were
                  sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of
                  fire, and it sat upon each of them." (Acts 2:1-3)

                  The Holy Spirit is a Dynamic power in Spiritual life. There are
                  three personalities in God, Father, Son and the Holy Ghost (Spirit).
                  These three personalities have one essence, one authority, one will,
                  one nature, one thinking and one power. There is no difference
                  amongst the three in terms of status, power, size etc. It is
                  virtually impossible to understand this supernatural mystery of
                  this "Unity in The Trinity" with our material logic and
                  understanding. We know that the Light, Heat and Rays are integrated
                  with the sun and are not separable nor divisible. In the same
                  manner The Holy Trinity is one such spiritual mystery which needs
                  divine revelation to comprehend. God cannot be compared to any
                  other. To understand and know God, we need to experience Him.

                  Before our Lord Jesus ascended to heaven he promised us the gift of
                  the Holy Spirit. "And, being assembled together with them, commanded
                  them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the
                  promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For
                  John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the
                  Holy Ghost not many days hence." (Acts 1:4-5)

                  The manifestations of the Holy Spirit are manifold:

                  The Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter and Shield against sin. He is
                  the champion of Righteousness and Judgment. "Nevertheless I tell you
                  the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not
                  away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will
                  send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of
                  sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:" (John 16:7-8)

                  The Holy Spirit is the driving force of the Gospel and makes
                  wondrous things happen."But ye shall receive power, after that the
                  Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both
                  in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the
                  uttermost part of the earth." (Acts 1:8) "Through mighty signs and
                  wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem,
                  and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of
                  Christ." (Romans 15:19)

                  The Holy Spirit is the Source of all knowledge. "But God hath
                  revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all
                  things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Corinthians 2:10) And there
                  is no way one can escape the power of the Holy Spirit. "Whither
                  shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy
                  presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my
                  bed in hell, behold, thou art there." (Psalm 139:7-8)

                  And to speak against the Holy Spirit is unpardonable "Wherefore I
                  say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto
                  men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven
                  unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it
                  shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy
                  Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither
                  in the world to come." (Matthew 12:31-32) "And grieve not the holy
                  Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."
                  (Ephesians 4:30)

                  Therefore we should strive to know and receive the Holy Spirit. We
                  should pray for the divine blessing in our lives. "And when he had
                  said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the
                  Holy Ghost." (John 20:22)

                  The Holy Spirit should dwell in our hearts "Who hath also sealed us,
                  and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts." (2 Corinthians
                  1:22). So that our mortal bodies are strengthened and we live a full
                  life. "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead
                  dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also
                  quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."
                  (Romans 8:11) And enjoy the fruits of the Spirit, "But the fruit of
                  the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness,
                  faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."
                  (Galatians 5:22-23)

                  The days of waiting has come to an end. We wish you all receive the
                  blessings of Holy Spirit abundantly and the Sprit is renewed in all
                  of us

                  May God Bless you all.

                  Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
                  Vicar, St: George Universal Syrian Orthodox Church, Kuwait