Spiritual Words.

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 17 , May 28, 2006
      CHRIST IS RISEN! TRULY HE IS RISEN!

      "Once again Psalm Eighty-Nine describes the impermanence of our human nature
      in order to win over God's mercy. It clearly teaches us by examples to be
      mindful of the afflictions of our nature both in the morning and evening,
      that is to say, in our youth and old age. Grass and flowers which are alive
      in the morning have passed away [by evening]. Next, the plant's moisture
      which exists at the prime of life dries up and looses its blossom once its
      innate beauty has evaporated while the rest of the plant dries up and
      withers away. The psalm thus describes our human nature by saying, 'In the
      morning let is flower and pass away; in the evening let it droop; let it be
      withered and dried up.' Such is our human nature."

      St. Gregory of Nyssa.

      "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he
      will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap
      corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap
      everlasting life." Galatians 6:7-8

    • Mark Sadek
      Message 2 of 17 , May 30, 2006
        CHRIST IS RISEN! TRULY HE IS RISEN!

        "It is impossible for the mind to remain undisturbed by thoughts, but anyone
        serious about the matter can certainly permit them entry or drive them away,
        and although their origin does not lie entirely under our control we can
        choose to approve of them and so adopt them."

        St. John Cassian.

        "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to
        those who are of the household of faith." Galatians 6:10

      • H.B Catholicose Basalious Thomas 1st
        Message 3 of 17 , May 31, 2006
          Our most beloved moderators of SOCM Forum and all members of the Forum - the Holy Benediction in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ to you all

          Our Dear Children,

          Our prayers are with the SOCM-Forum which has through the internet promoted knowledge of the rites, traditions, and faith of the Universal Syriac Church exploiting technologies of this modern age, while owing full allegience to the Holy Church. Those who have worked for this good endeavor are to be congratulated; may God bless them with good reward for their efforts. It gives us much joy that, through this enterprise, future generations will receive spiritual encouragement, nurture their faith, and rooted in the traditions of the Holy Church in this modern era they will become witnesses of our Lord Jesus Christ

          From 2006 May 25 to June 4, the Holy Church commemorates the ascension and like the 120 or so faithful who congregated at the house in Zehyon, awaits the coming of the promised Holy Spirit. Those days marked the beginning of the Holy Church, as our early fathers showed us in those days, may we and the Holy Church renew ourselves spiritually through prayer and meditation.

          May GOD bless you all

          Basalious Thomas 1st Catholicose

          Patriarchal center
          Puthenkurizu

          To view the message in Malayalam (Original), please visit our homepage http://www.socmnet.org
        • Malankara Voice
          Message 4 of 17 , May 31, 2006
            Jacobite Church plea to government

            [The New Indian Express, Wednesday May 31 2006]

            ALUVA: The new government should take the initiative to restore peace between Jacobite and Orthodox Churches and also accept the existence of two Churches namely Jacobite and Orthodox, the managing committee meeting of the Jacobite Church has said.

            At its meeting at Puthencruz on Monday, the committee urged the reopening of closed churches for conducting worship and demanded that status quo be maintained in churches where worship is being held. The government should appoint a commission to determine the majority decision of members in the disputed churches.

            The managing committee extended its full support to the new LDF Government and hailed the Jacobite members who were elected MLAs. Fr Varghese Kallapara presented the political resolution.

            The managing committee said that the members of Jacobite Church be given deserving positions and representation in the appointments to government posts. Presiding over the meeting, Catholicos Mar Thomas I Bava urged that various churches to emphasise Christian thoughts and vision and avoid the path of confrontation and litigations.

            A new metropolitan would soon be consecrated for Thrissur diocese. The committee decided to launch a Law College in Paravoor, Ayurveda College in Adimali and St Athanasius Church, the first church in the name of the saint, in Puthencruz.

            http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID==IER20060531002549&Page==R&Title==Kerala&Topic==0&
          • Mark Sadek
            Message 5 of 17 , May 31, 2006
              "...many have endured great ascetic labors, much hardship and toil for God's
              sake; but because they relied on their own judgment, lacked discrimination,
              and failed to accept help from their neighbor, their many efforts proved
              useless and vain."

              St. Mark the Ascetic.

              "Lift up your heads, O you gates! Lift up, you everlasting doors! And the
              King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts,
              He is the King of glory." Psalms 24:9-10
            • Varugese C J
              Message 6 of 17 , May 31, 2006
                Dear All,

                It is heartening even to think about Judas, one of the 12 selected by our LORD to be his disciples. We think about with contempt, curse him on his action, later the Apostles themselves find a replacement in his place as the 12th Apostle. All the twelve were common people, not known for any of their outstanding achievements, and hailed from the lower strata of the then Isralites.

                If we try to analyze the attitude of Judas, in very few places he was in the lime light during the three and half years of our LORD's public ministry. But towards the end this name became prominent. Was it not true that while selecting the disciples, our Lord haven't any idea about each of these individuals? It is evident from the later actions of each of them that they have been destined to act upon the wish of their Master. Then how the Judas has been left out to throw the Son of God in the hands of the perpetuators, who was looking for His blood. If we look indepth to his (Judas) behaviour, we will be astonished to see that he was closer to both to his Master and also to the then High Priest, From his (Judas) own remarks on the wastage due to washing the legs of our Lord by a lady. He shows his concern for the poor, wanted to distribute the value among the poor and needy. Through his final action only we will be able to notice his proximity to the high priest. Possible
                it may not have happened like that. Judas was the purse bearer among the disciplies, it is believed. He was one of the beautiful men among the disciples. Though there hasn't any mention about his background, we can assume that a common man among the Isralites would have the privileges of keeping a close-knit connection with the high priest. The then high priest and his coterie around him was the most corrupted priests among the priestlings of Israel ever had. Their hench men made the House of God to a commercial establishment, whom our lord once thrown out all their belonging from inside the Jerusalem Church. The strategist Judas kept his connection with these people, which is not known to his peers, but only to his Master. May be because of this our Lord might have declared that "None can step in two boats, if one try to do it, he will be drowned". It was clearly mentioned few places in the Holy Bible, all the twelve never accompanies their Master always. Sometimes their
                Master himself choose three out of twelve to accompany him to lonely places, and higher mountains. May be it was because he wanted to impart indepth knowledge to these three, thereby the foundation for a New Israle can be laid only through these three. The day He celebrated the Last Super (the Pesha), and the same day became the day for institution of the Holy Qurbana, to be carried out till his second coming, our Lord also mentioned about the disintegration of the then Israel, and the birth of a New Israle.

                By then Judas, the cursed, understood that he will not be able to find any favour from our Lord, but decided to take maximum advantage of his connection with his Master. He might have thought about different ways to make it a profitable venture out of his association with the Nazraen, the redeemer. So he conspired with his old friends, who occupy the highest position as high priest of the Israelites. His eagerness to make money overruled his conscience and fear of God. Making a profit out from any deed was his inherent attitude. His association with the sinless didn't change his attitude, but in an opportune time he played it very safely, and made a profit out of this connection. He has forgotten everything, his only motive was to make money, and finally after eating from the hands of his Master, he went away to execute his plan of action. He might not have dreamed of it as a suicidal action, but finally this strategist met with his tragic end, before which he realized
                the sin he had committed and had thrown away the profit he made out of the deal.

                Right now, few among the faithfuls (as we think) are wandering in Malankara to make profit out of the connection we have with the Mother of All Churches. The originator of this rebellion was considered to be the most knowledgeable amongst the Malankara Syrian Church, but his motive behind making profit out of his knowledge and respect he was carrying with him is deplorable. His love for temporal authority is still driving his followers currently. His strategic manipulation of the truth only made birth of a new order of faith (which was unheard till then). The current followers of him are really playing with a strategy, and follow the steps of Judas. They know very well how to make profit, how to make people fool, and how people can be misled to believe them. They are succeeding in handling the rulers of this country, misled the highest judicial system merely based on technical grounds and the truth has been sidelined. Few among these modern Judas are very intelligent,
                looking for a chance to redicule the faithfuls with false strategic propagandas. Their only motto is to malign the Mother Church and its Head, with sweetened phrases and create a make belief situation among the poor faithfuls. Like in the case of only three out of the remaining eleven disciplies were fortunate enough to see the original face of the betrayer Judas and witnessed the arrest of their Master and later the humiliation he suffered from the perpetuators. Like that there are a ramnent in Malankara with purity of faith, belief in Almighty, even after facing whole lot of assaults, humiliation and loss of property and life still resist to these evil designers who follow the footsteps of Judas and advocates of the devil, who always look for a chance to destroy the faithfuls in the history of human kind.

                Let the ramnent rejoice that they stand for the truth, and ever be lured with profit making endeavours of the modern Judas of Malankara.

                With regards,
                CJ Varughese
                Member id # 1012
              • SOCM News Bureau
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                  The Centre of Oriental Studies & Research of the Syriac Patrimony (Lebanon)
                  in cooperation with the Council of Churches in Aleppo, held the XIth Syriac
                  Patrimony Conference in Aleppo, Syria, from May 11 to 14, 2006. The
                  Conference theme was "St Ephrem the Syriac, a Poet of our Times� in
                  remembrance of the 1700 year of the poet�s birth (306 � 2006). It was
                  organized within the celebrations of Aleppo as a Capital of Islamic Culture
                  2006.

                  The opening session on Thursday 11th May was marked by the presence of high
                  level church and government officials, including H. E. the Syrian Minister
                  of Culture, H. H. Patriarch Mar Ignatius Zakka I Iwas of the Syrian Orthodox
                  Universal Church, a representative of the Lebanese Minister of Culture, the
                  Mayor of Aleppo, MECC General Secretary, the President of the Centre of
                  Oriental Study & Research from Lebanon.

                  In his opening speech, H.H. Patriarch Zakka Iwas mentioned that: "St Ephrem
                  the Syriac � the Syrian is not confined to one country nor to one nation,
                  neither to one confession of faith; rather he is confined to all humanity".
                  In turn, the Syrian Minister of Culture underlined that "Aleppo today is a
                  unique example of cultural diversity, interaction and dialogue between
                  cultures and civilizations". The Islamic culture, he said, is not a religion
                  but rather a common awareness and adoption of all other cultures". An
                  address sent by Lebanese President General Emile Lahoud, welcomed the idea
                  of the conference stressing that "religions and cultures can interact and
                  dialogue for the sake and happiness of humanity".

                  Throughout the two and half working days, several eminent scholars from
                  Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, UK, Germany and Belgium contributed to panels. They
                  spoke about St Ephrem's poetry and his impact on the spiritual life of the
                  different churches as well as on cultures all over the world.

                  In the closing session, the Grand Mufti of Syria Sheikh Ahmad Hassoun
                  praised the poetry of St Ephrem saying that, "after 1700 years, St Ephrem is
                  still alive among us in a land which is blessed by heaven", emphasizing the
                  universal nature of his poetry that touches all peoples� God, and its
                  spirituality which will last forever. He ended saying, "today is the
                  incarnation of heaven on all of us".

                  The conference ended with follow up recommendations to be carried out by the
                  Centre of Oriental Study & Research of the Syriac Patrimony.

                  The MECC staff in Aleppo was asked to undertake the documentation and
                  secretariat work of the conference, together with other members of the
                  Aleppo Ecumenical Committee. For further information, kindly contact Mr.
                  Razek Siriani at: rsiriani@... or visit the CERO Website at:
                  www.moncero.org <http://www.moncero.org/>

                  Middle East Council of Churches
                  Office of International Ecumenical Relations P.O. Box 5376, Beirut, Lebanon

                  Guirgis Ibrahim Saleh, General Secretary mecc@... or
                  guirgissaleh@...

                  +961-1-353-938
                  http://www.mec-churches.org/
                • Malankara Voice
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                    1. Parishes and Individuals must curtail expenses and spend more for the poor: The Holy Episcopal Synod.
                    http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/20060602SyndMang.htm

                    2. Malankara Episcopal Synod approves the names of 4 bishop-designates elected by the respective dioceses.
                    http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/20060602NewBisMan.htm

                    3. The Church is ready to cooperate with the Govt. to find a justifiable solution to end the Church disputes: Catholica Bava
                    http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/20060601BavaMang.htm

                    Malankara Voice links:
                    http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12/news_section.htm
                    http://www.geocities.com/malankaravoice12
                  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. John 15:1-14

                      Dear and Respected Brethren,

                      As far as the children of Abraham, the Father of all the faithful, Pentecost
                      was a feast, on the fiftieth day after the feast of Pass over. On such a
                      feast day of Pentecost only, the early Christians, including the Apostles as
                      well as Mother of God and other few, were strengthened by God to continue
                      the mission of the Savior of the mankind and the universe. The Apostles and
                      others along with the blessed virgin Mother of God had waited for the Holy
                      Spirit with one accord, as per the instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ
                      prior to His blessed Ascension to Heaven. This is what we are learning in
                      the first and second chapters of the Acts of the Apostles. Though all
                      Christians have accepted the Holy Spirit through the Baptism and Holy
                      Mooron, our life in the world necessitates us to renew the Holy Spirit in us
                      and to keep it strong and full. Until recent years our faithful were eager
                      to renew the status of the Holy Spirit in them. But somehow or the other, we
                      are not so serious about the growth of the Holy Spirit in us. It seems that
                      our faith and observation of the traditions and rituals are not at all
                      serious. We all deal with them in a very cold mood. We must have a
                      self-revival and eagerness to follow the footsteps of our ancestors and
                      forefathers.

                      Kindly realize the uniqueness and very sweetness of the language used by our
                      Lord and Savior, while He is explaining about the relation between Him and
                      us. When we hear �I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener� we might
                      feel it as so simple, but in fact how deep are they and their inner
                      meanings? If we could see a healthy vine plant with lots of leaves and
                      fruits in our minds, we could realize a lot. The gardener would desire
                      plenty of fruits on all branches of the plant. In the 2nd verse it is
                      mentioned that what would happen to the branch that might not bear fruits.
                      We should not forget the truth that the faithful cannot do anything until
                      and unless they might stay in our Lord and Savior, like a branch cannot bear
                      fruits unless it�s connection with the main stem is strong and solid.

                      Let us see what Lord Jesus, is offering us in verse 8, who only guaranteed
                      that we could bear more fruits while staying in God the Father. �Herein is
                      my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my
                      disciples.� We all must bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit, then only God
                      the Father�s name will be glorified and we all would be accepted as our
                      Lord�s disciples. Kindly read a similar exhortation in St. Matthew 5:16. and
                      Philippians 1:11. Now let us make sure about the number of fruits we have
                      utilized for the glory of God. Remember that all these fruits and many
                      others were granted to us free of cost. If our score is a big zero, we must
                      pray with a mind of repentance �Merciful God, kindly make use of us for your
                      glory�. We must humble ourselves and dedicate ourselves for His disposal.
                      Let us try to understand the deep meaning of the 9th verse. Let us try to
                      grasp the deep meaning of those words. Kindly separate a few seconds to
                      determine the love we enjoy from our Lord God. Let us try to maintain a
                      proper record of the love we enjoy from Lord God. Can we forget the
                      searching, caring and sharing love of our Savior? He wants us to exchange
                      the same style of love to our fellowmen. Our habitual nature is to say OK
                      for all sorts of exhortations and to forget/ignore them totally later.
                      Aren�t we? So let us take a decision slowly but wisely. Let us try to be
                      grateful to God for all sorts of blessings and graces we do enjoy in every
                      second. Let us take a decision to be good conductors of God�s love, as the
                      electric wires do their assignments. Let us also receive more and more love
                      from God and share them among the needy fellowmen.

                      In the 10th verse our Lord teaches us the way to remain in His love. It is a
                      very light and simple thing to obey our Lord�s commandments. What is our
                      Lord�s commandment? It is to love God and our own fellowmen without
                      reserves. Our Lord explains about it in the 11th and 12th verses.

                      Our Lord says that this is the right means to enjoy the complete joy in our
                      lives. Let us decide to which matter we are giving priority: to God Almighty
                      or something else. Let the Holy Spirit of God guide us in everyday lives.
                      God bless us all

                      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
                    • Rev. Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3, 2006
                        Dear beloved in Jesus Christ,

                        We celebrate the feast of the Pentecost this year on the 4th of
                        June. I feel that it is opportune at this time to think about the
                        Holy Spirit.

                        We read in the Bible about the day of the Pentecost; "And when the
                        day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in
                        one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a
                        rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were
                        sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of
                        fire, and it sat upon each of them." (Acts 2:1-3)

                        The Holy Spirit is a Dynamic power in Spiritual life. There are
                        three personalities in God, Father, Son and the Holy Ghost (Spirit).
                        These three personalities have one essence, one authority, one will,
                        one nature, one thinking and one power. There is no difference
                        amongst the three in terms of status, power, size etc. It is
                        virtually impossible to understand this supernatural mystery of
                        this "Unity in The Trinity" with our material logic and
                        understanding. We know that the Light, Heat and Rays are integrated
                        with the sun and are not separable nor divisible. In the same
                        manner The Holy Trinity is one such spiritual mystery which needs
                        divine revelation to comprehend. God cannot be compared to any
                        other. To understand and know God, we need to experience Him.

                        Before our Lord Jesus ascended to heaven he promised us the gift of
                        the Holy Spirit. "And, being assembled together with them, commanded
                        them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the
                        promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For
                        John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the
                        Holy Ghost not many days hence." (Acts 1:4-5)

                        The manifestations of the Holy Spirit are manifold:

                        The Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter and Shield against sin. He is
                        the champion of Righteousness and Judgment. "Nevertheless I tell you
                        the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not
                        away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will
                        send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of
                        sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:" (John 16:7-8)

                        The Holy Spirit is the driving force of the Gospel and makes
                        wondrous things happen."But ye shall receive power, after that the
                        Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both
                        in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the
                        uttermost part of the earth." (Acts 1:8) "Through mighty signs and
                        wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem,
                        and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of
                        Christ." (Romans 15:19)

                        The Holy Spirit is the Source of all knowledge. "But God hath
                        revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all
                        things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Corinthians 2:10) And there
                        is no way one can escape the power of the Holy Spirit. "Whither
                        shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy
                        presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my
                        bed in hell, behold, thou art there." (Psalm 139:7-8)

                        And to speak against the Holy Spirit is unpardonable "Wherefore I
                        say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto
                        men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven
                        unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it
                        shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy
                        Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither
                        in the world to come." (Matthew 12:31-32) "And grieve not the holy
                        Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."
                        (Ephesians 4:30)

                        Therefore we should strive to know and receive the Holy Spirit. We
                        should pray for the divine blessing in our lives. "And when he had
                        said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the
                        Holy Ghost." (John 20:22)

                        The Holy Spirit should dwell in our hearts "Who hath also sealed us,
                        and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts." (2 Corinthians
                        1:22). So that our mortal bodies are strengthened and we live a full
                        life. "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead
                        dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also
                        quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."
                        (Romans 8:11) And enjoy the fruits of the Spirit, "But the fruit of
                        the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness,
                        faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."
                        (Galatians 5:22-23)

                        The days of waiting has come to an end. We wish you all receive the
                        blessings of Holy Spirit abundantly and the Sprit is renewed in all
                        of us

                        May God Bless you all.

                        Fr. Mathews Poozhikolel
                        Vicar, St: George Universal Syrian Orthodox Church, Kuwait