Church feud: Chandy’s formula may come as a headache to VS - N

  • J Kurien
    Message 1 of 3387 , May 20, 2006
      Church feud: Chandy’s formula may come as a headache to VS

      http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID==IER20060520013629&Page==R&Title==Kerala&Topic==0&

      THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A ‘package’ announced by former Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in March 2005 to resolve the running feud between the Orthodox and Jacobite factions of the Malankara Church could prove a headache to the new V S Achuthanandan Ministry.

      The Jacobite faction has now written to the new Chief Minister seeking the LDF Government’s intervention in implementing the package, Church officials said.

      However, the Orthodox faction is not keen about the package and they allege that it was “tailored” for their rivals.

      Catholicos Baselios Thomas I of the Jacobite Syrian Christian Church on Thursday met Achuthanandan shortly after the latter was sworn in as Chief Minister. Church sources maintained that it however was a courtesy call.

      “We’d met a number of LDF leaders including Achuthanandan before the elections. They had agreed to implement the package. We’ve now written a letter to the Chief Minister asking him to intervene,” Fr Varghese Kallappara, official spokesperson of the Jacobite Church said.

      The package had been grounded apparently due to the State Assembly Elections.

      Announced by Chandy in the wake of the confrontation between the two factions at the Thrikkunnathu Seminary, the package recommends bilateral talks to open churches that were closed following the row.

      Further, churches that were not embroiled in any dispute were to be thrown open for worship and status quo to be maintained in churches where worship is being conducted. The package stipulated that decisions made by District Collectors concerned were to be deemed final.

      Both factions had met the LDF leaders prior to the elections. The UDF had not implemented the package saying that the elections had come in between.

      Moreover, it did not wish to anger the Orthodox faction during the poll season.

      The Orthodox faction leaders pointed out that the case regarding the dispute was set to come up before the Supreme Court on July 12.

      “The CPM had stated that the LDF Government would not interfere in the dispute and that the Court decision would be implemented. Chandy’s package was tailor-made for the Jacobite faction. Why should the new Ministry implement it,” an official of the Orthodox faction said.

      Source- New Indian Express dt. 20th May 2006

      J Kurien
      Mepral, Thiruvalla
      Member ID # 2310
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com