Kothamangalam Bava

  • Mathews K George
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2002

      Dear members

      This posting appeared in IOF, could any one explain the question especially for the last paragraph of the posting.

      Mathews K George

      BAREKH'MOR!
      Your Grace Mor Nicholovos Thirumeni, It is indeed bizarre that a few youngsters in
      malankara church are unaware of yeldho Mor baselios bava of kothamangalam.
      While I was working in MGOCSM in sxitees it was observed in kottayam side that several of them were not serious about parumala thirumeni. I have heard them saying thirumeni as vadakhan thirumeni. Later they changed the name 'Chathurithil Methraachan' as parumala thirumeni. Also they never wanted to call the student movement as Mar Greegorios since Mar
      Greegorios Student Movement was with patriarchese side before 1958. You may kindly recall that the first organisation in our church that was amalgamated after 1958 peace was Mar Greegorios Student Movement with Orthodox Student Movement as later MGOCSM.
      Yeldho Bava was an accepted saint in malankara among Christian and non-Christian even before parumala thirumeni. Parumala thirumeni used to visit Bava's kabar in kothamangalam. Even in catholicose side they used to respect bava. The Orthodox Church in pazhanji(Kunnamkulam) celebrates the feast of the bava on October 2 as the important 'perunnal' of that pally. The legend goes like this. A marthomite family in pengamuck went to kothamangalam and recieved some sand from bava's kabar. They kept it at an unimportant
      place in their house. But there were several calamities followed by that. Later they recognised the reason. Since there was no church in pengamuck that time the family took the relics on an elephant top with several several people as a great procession to pazhanji and handed over it in gold casket to the vicar. He founded it on the south thronos. Later St.Mary's church pazhanji started remembering bava as their chief intercessor. A large number of devotees
      even Hindus come to church on October 1 evening and after the evening prayer they move on kneels around the church through out the night and bava still is known as 'pazhanji pally muthappan'. Recently Fr.(Dr) Joseph Cheeran from pazhanji wrote a historical statement against bava. Two antiochan patriarchs attempted to declare bava as saint and incense 'sadheekho....' at the kaber. Pathrose patriarchese went up to kuruppampadi church and never visited kothamangalam. Later Elias patriarchese visited the church and every body was eagerly waiting for the declaration at the time of 'Basmalkho' during holy querbono. But HH never did it. Achan's argument is that bava was a Nestorian. Why bava avoided
      kothamangalam St.Mary's church and built mar thoman church after buying the land?
      But none of the faithfuls will agree with achan since bava has been accepted as their refuge for the last several centuries.

      Gheevarghese II catholica bava with the synod has already declared bava along with parumala thirumeni as saints. Even though bava's kalpana in 1947 clearly
      mentioned about remembering both in 5th 'thoobden'. however, we followed it after it was practised by patriarchese faction in 1987. The point remains why HH patriarchese allowed only malankara church to remember Bava why not universal syriac church. Please refer patriarch bull of 1987. So it is mixed up with church politics
      Remembering Baselios bava cannot in anyway reduce the importance of parumala thirumeni. We should avoid
      separating the saints due to their region, race and denominations. We should see them as the servants of Our Lord.

      Hope the mistakes will get corrected.

      Yeldhos Aloho Pray for us

      Dr.George, Dubai

    • Thomas Daniel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2002

        Jacobite Church calls for Govt. intervention to settle dispute in the Church

        Dr. Thomas Mar Dynasius, Catholicos-designate of one of the warring factions of the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church, called upon the Kerala Government to intervene to settle the dispute in the Church.

        He told a news conference in Kochi that the Chief Minister or the Leader of the Opposition could intervene for an amicable settlement.

        Dr. Dynasius described as "unfortunate" the participation of Kerala Congress(B) Chairman R. Balakrishna Pillai in a religious conclave of the rival Catholicos faction the other day.

        He called upon the Government and Christian leaders to prevail upon the rival faction to honour court verdicts on the Church dispute.

        http://www.asianetglobal.com:8080/asianet/news/detailed.jsp?catId=1&newsId=2337

      • jaimon skaria
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2002
          Odette wil be in our prayers .
          May God gave her the courage and strngth.
          Jaimon & Family,Chicago,USA