Re: Change MOSC Catholicos Title and change Name of Church

  • Jes Kuruvilla
    Message 1 of 3368 , Apr 23, 2006
      Dear Robin,

      "Q) I was born and brought up in America, why do I need to carry this
      Indian National Banner as suggested by others? I am a Syrian
      Christian before I am Indian."

      I dont agree with some of your arguments. Many JSOC members serve the
      Indian Army, BSF, Air-force and Navy. Many of them will tell you that
      they are INDIAN first and JSOC later. When they take a bullet to
      defend INDIA they breathe their last and commend their souls into the
      hand of the father as taught by the JSOC church. So If you feel
      American, and are truly American, one has to frankly argue that you
      are interfering in the internal matter of Indians. We have the
      capacity to solve them by ourselves.

      As a JSOC member brought up outside Kerala I belive that all our
      faith was handed to us from Syriac fathers and thus they implicitly
      remain the head of the Church. After its establishment in India in
      the early part of the first century ( Aadi Nootand) it has not
      reached everybody in Kerala properly, leave alone the rest of India.
      now that is PATHETIC!

      Q) I really wonder how much Indian culture has really influenced the
      Orthodox Church in India, other than using a minnu (you mean the
      Thali?) and giving a sari to the bride during the wedding service,
      where has our liturgy been "Indianized".

      I wonder whether living in America has affected you so much that you
      fail to understand the meaning of Indian Culture. Indian Culture
      comes from the soil and water of India (its not bharatnatyam ,
      kuchipudi, odissi or FOKANA dances or Bollywood or Kollywood). Its is
      a PHENOMENON that influences every person by their mere presence in
      India.

      It is the humility by which people receive you and share a
      lassi/chaas. Share the fourth seat in a really crowded train. Small
      talk that deals with daily life at the water pump. Ashirvaad of any
      elder, especially strangers who work with your parents and are not in
      any way shape or form connected with your progress " Ayushman Bhava,
      Sada Sukhi Bhava" (Ever heard these words in America?)

      Mitti ki saundhi saundhi khoshboo man mein ek umang se bhar deti hai!
      (The aroma from the soil creates in the mind a joyous and uplifiting
      feeling)

      Frankly its is not something present in America so I feel badly for
      you. But please dont belittle us by saying that the bride receives a
      sari. If that is whats your sole observance of INDIAN nuances in
      JSOC rituals and daily life then feel free to drop it and call
      yourselves the American Malankara JSOC. We have no problem in you
      guys breaking away too.

      Waise bhi JSOC mein rahne ke liye drid Vishwas aur atoot sankalp
      chaiye aur bahut se logon mein yeh nahin hai!!! (Even so to remain in
      JSOC you need a strong faith and unbreakable will is needed and many
      people donot have that!)

      I hope I have not offended you, but in clear terms promoted an
      understanding of where we stand as other JSOC members educated in
      various parts of India apart from Kerala.

      Mera Bharat Mahan Hai. Vande Mataram Bandhu.
      Prabhu Yeshu Kristu ki kripa ham sab par sada bani rahe!
      (May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with us always.)

      Jes Kuruvilla
      Member ID 2381
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3368 of 3368 , Sep 1 3:47 AM