Question on Mark 10:45 . Lord have his life as ransom for many

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2006
      The question is, to whom the ransom was given?

      View 1 : Ransom was given to Satan. I have hard time to follow
      this. Lord giving 'ransom' to Satan??. That does not look right.
      But this view was held by Origen, Gregory of Nyssa, Augustine,
      Gregory the Gread etc. Some supporting statments for this
      1) Lord came to destroy the works of devil ( 1 John 3:8)
      2) He won victory over the forces of darkness ( 2 Col 2:15; Heb
      2:14) ( Heb 2:15)
      3) as sinners we, were in bondage to Satan. Lord redeemed us from
      this bondage. ( because world is in the pwoer of the evil one ( 1
      John 5:19)

      View 2: Ransom given to God the Father. It more difficult for me
      to accept this view. First Jesus and Father are one. So giving
      ransom to Father from Son and Son "buying" the sinners is hard for
      me to accept. But some reformists are teaching this. The first
      strong teaching on this view came only around AD 1000 by Anselm.
      Later by Thomas Aquinas and recently Martin Luther. So I am
      almost sure this is not what our church teaches.

      If any one can find answers from the priests you know, please post.

      regards
      paul no:901