Prayers of the Mystics, Part Four

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part Four

      Praise to you, 0 Christ the true Light, for in you have our souls been illumined so that we have gained perception in our minds. In you we have been made worthy of you, in you we have found our lives, and in you we have been acquired by you.

      Praise to you, for in you we have been conjoined to you, and in you your glorious Father has taken pleasure in us; in you we have peace with him.

      Praises be to you who gave us life in everything. Thanks be to you, 0 Lord of all, for you are true and immutable life, in whom our treasure will be preserved and not snatched away: our wealth will no longer be seized. Our life is provided for by your care, and all kinds of wonderful assistance from you is proffered to us. It is by these means that you captivate humanity to the love of you, so that all may acquire you and you may acquire everyone. Praise to you who proclaimed and taught that we were to be acquired by you in love.

      All praise to you, 0 God, who are hidden from all worlds; all praise to your love, for no one is able to recount its abundance. For your greatness bends down so that it may be seen by those who love you, so that human beings may behold the sight of you: this is the exalted
      position to which you have brought them, actually manifesting yourself to them. How ardent and fervent is your love for the soul which has become aware of you, for the soul which is truly purified and cleansed during her lifetime. That person whom you have held full worthy to look upon you is raised up towards you in his lifetime: but for his body, he would no longer be in the world!

      John of Apamea, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications

    • Aby Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2002
        Man's Promises or God's Promises

        Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before
        them all these words which the LORD commanded him. Then all the people
        answered together and said, "All that the LORD has spoken we will do."
        (Exodus 19:7-8)

        The promises of the old covenant of law depend upon the performance
        of man. "You shall therefore keep My statutes and My judgments, which
        if a man does, he shall live by them" (Leviticus 18:5). The better
        promises of the new covenant of grace depend upon the performance of
        God. "I will make a new covenant . . . I will put My law in their
        minds" (Jeremiah 31:31, 33).

        When man attempts to live under the law (thereby needing to perform
        up to God's standards by human resources), he typically tries to live
        by his promises to God. Israel was a vivid example of this futile
        tendency. "All that the LORD has spoken we will do." This
        well-intended promise to God was consistently broken. Moses' words are
        a stinging indictment of the vanity of basing life with God on our
        promises to Him. "You have been rebellious against the LORD from the
        day that I knew you" (Deuteronomy 9:24).

        The desire to obey God appropriately resides within the hearts of His
        children, but a better way to obedience must be found than relying
        upon our promises to God. That better way is the path of grace, which
        offers a life based upon God's promises to man. "I will give you a new
        heart and [I will] put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart
        of stone out of your flesh and [I will] give you a heart of flesh. I
        will put My Spirit within you and [I will] cause you to walk in My
        statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them" (Ezekiel
        36:26-27).

        We are to live by the promises of God to us (instead of by our
        promises to Him). Living by God's promises produces a growing
        confidence in the Lord, a confidence that results from His unique
        character. "God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man,
        that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He
        spoken, and will He not make it good? " (Numbers 23:19). Man may make
        promises to God, but, eventually, he will fail. God is not like man.
        God is true to His word. He will not lie, nor will He change His mind.
        Whatever He says, He will do! We can fully rely upon the promises of
        God that we find in His word.

        Lord God of truth, forgive my multiplied attempts to develop a
        Christian walk by my promises to You. Lord, You know how often I have
        failed. What a joyous option this is to live by Your promises to me!
        Please teach me how to think and live this way, in Jesus name, Amen