Prayers of the Mystics, Part One

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2002

      Prayers of the Mystics, Part One

      Praised are you 0 Christ our Teacher, for you enrich with absolutely everything those who cleave to you. Lord, if someone gives his possessions to the state, then he receives in return great honour; how much more will you, Lord, magnify and praise that person who offers his whole self to you, possessing nothing besides you!

      Make our souls grow by your grace, Lord, so that we may grow in you and give praise to you, for no one can grow except in you, and no one can excel except in you.

      Praise to you, without whom everything is empty; praise to you, for apart from the praise of you, all praise is but idle. Praise to you, the One who magnifies, but it is you who are thereby praised, for you are the object of praise of everything. Praise to you, Perfecter of everything, 0 Christ. By your divine teaching you gave wisdom to all who are instructed by you to deprive themselves of everything that belongs to this world -- then they shall be attached to you. Otherwise, as they traveled after you while still cleaving to the world, they might be drawn back by the world into it. Praise to you who bade us release ourselves and then cleave to you, seeing that, when we are not bound up with anything, nothing will separate us from
      you.

      -- John of Apamea, in, "The Syriac Fathers On Prayer And The Spiritual Life," translated from the original Syriac-Aramaic by Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications

    • Moncy John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2002
        Requesting from this group and the entire membership of the Malankara Church
        to come together through Fasting and Prayer for Church in Malankara.

        Commissioned to carry on the great works through the leadership of our King,
        Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour, knowing that if St. Thomas, Jesus' disciple
        and our Brother in Christ, were here, he would encourage us to do so.

        We need to deny ourselves, being more hungry for God than for food! Fasting
        for four (4) days, beginning June 20 through June 23, and posting only prayer,
        worship and praise on this website. Open for suggestions..thanks!

        Together, with and through Christ, lets change the course of history for this
        Great Church.

        Almost every biblical leader fasted and prayed, knowing the power and
        importance of this practice.

        FASTED AND PRAYED
        Moses Exodus 34:28
        Elijah 1 Kings 19:8
        Ezra Ezra 10:6
        Daniel Daniel 10:3
        Anna Luke 2:37
        Cornelius Acts 10:30
        Early Church Leaders Acts 13:2 Acts 14:23
        Paul Acts 9:9 2 Corinthians 11:27
        Most important of all...Jesus Christ Luke 4:1-2

        If you go to www.thecallrevolution.com, under fasting and prayer, you can find
        some valuable information and facts about your health and food and liquids,
        when fasting.

        God Bless You All
        In Christ
        Moncy John
      • Varghese George
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 18, 2002
          O Lord God we submit ourselves before you. We earnestly pray unto you to
          Save us from
          all mischieves from all sides. Save our beloved church.

          All faithful - St. George Universal Syrian Orthodox Church, Kuwait.
          Under the Holy apostolic See of Antioch.
        • AjiThomas David
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2002
            I, the Lord of sea and sky, I have
            heard my people cry.