Holy Land Christian Patriarchs and Bishops Address Hamas

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 3366 , Feb 25, 2006
      The following is a message to Hamas from several Christian leaders in the
      Middle East, including His Eminence Metropolitan Swerios Malki Mourad of
      Jerusalem.

      We congratulate the Palestinian people for their democratic performance in
      the recent parliamentary elections. We express our respect and our support
      to the will of the people expressed in these elections. We congratulate all
      those who were elected.

      Our message as Christian leaders in this new phase of our history is the
      message of our faith and our concern for all. Some may be afraid or troubled
      because of this new phase. We respond, first, with the words of Jesus
      Christ: �Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. Peace I bequeath to
      you; my own peace I give you, a peace which the world cannot give� (Jn
      14:27). Second, �Be strong and stand firm� (Jos 1:9). We call upon the
      Palestinian people to continue their contribution to the making of their
      history whatever may be the difficulties or obstacles, internal or external.

      We pray for all those who will govern in this difficult period, and we
      extend our cooperation to them for the public good and the national
      Palestinian aspirations together with the cause of justice and peace in a
      non violent way, whether in regard to foreign relations, the rule of law
      together with full religious freedom, especially in the social and
      educational fields.

      Our message to the Government of Hamas, members and leadership, is the
      message of Our Lord Jesus Christ in his Sermon on the Mountain: �Blessed are
      the poor in spirit: the kingdom of heaven is theirs. Blessed are the gentle:
      they shall have the earth as their inheritance. Blessed are those who mourn:
      they shall be comforted. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for
      uprightness: they shall have their fill. Blessed are the merciful: they
      shall have mercy shown them. Blessed are the pure in heart: they shall see
      God. Blessed are the peacemakers: they shall be recognized as children of
      God� (Mt 5:3-10).

      We ask God to guide us towards what is good for all and for this Holy Land
      with all its inhabitants, Palestinians and Israelis, be they Moslems,
      Christians or Jews.

      Patriarch Theophilos III: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate
      Patriarch Michel Sabbah: Latin Patriarchate
      Patriarch Torkom II: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Patriarchate
      Father Pierbattista Pizzaballa, ofm, Gustos of the Holy Land
      Metropolitan Abba Abraam: Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate
      Swerios Malki Mourad: Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate.
      Abune Grima: Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarchate
      Paul Nabil Sayyah: Maronite Patriarchal Exarchate
      Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal: Episcopal Church of Jerusalem &the Middle
      East
      Bishop Mounib Younan: Lutheran Evangelical Church
      Pierre Melki, Exarch for the Syrian Catholics-Jerusalem
      Andre Dikran Bedoghlyan: Armenian Catholic Patriarchal Exarchate
      Archimandrite Mtanious Haddad: Greek Catholic Patriarchal Exarchate
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3366 of 3366 , Jul 1 5:33 AM
        Dear honorable members

        Greetings in HIS name