Re: CHURCH AND POLITICS

  • thomas_pa1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2002
      Dear Thomas, St. Demetrius, the Patriarch of Alexandria sent
      St. Pantaenus to India to preach Christian fiath of School
      of Alexandria. This is reported in the history of St. Eusebius.

      -Thomas

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "V Thomas" wrote:
      > Dear ALL,
      > Today's world is small due to better communication and trans port.
      Something
      > happens any corner of the world it is known to every one through
      media.
      > Hence things come to light very fast. People view things and
      criticize
      > actions. Pope/bishops no one is exempted. This quarrel and fights
      were there
      > always among men.
      > Roman church persecuted all other Christians for power and
      > number(popularity). They have forcibly taken our people in India,to
      their
      > fold. Same thing they have done
      > all over the world. But that does not mean there any faithful among
      them.
      > There would have been silent, insignificant Gods children among
      them,who
      > will inherit heaven.
      >
      > Why, fight was among the first line of Christ's disciple's .We
      cannot be
      > more informed about Christ words and actions than them. We cannot be
      holier
      > than them.
      > (Even though we have holier people to whom saint hood awarded as
      Oscars).

      > The bishops who came from Syria it took 3-4 years to reach
      India.Enroute
      > many died and killed. They were driven and guided by Christian
      spirit.
      > Today orthodox people say they came for money.They can not
      understand any
      > thing more than money.They are the people who occupy
      > Church property.They drive God,to court.
      > Even today our tradition is same and a vast majority of the people
      live in
      > the same tradition and devotion. We can see them in our churches
      > We can see the shine on faces, through Holy Communion they are part
      of
      > Christ body, they are Gods children. They are the real Christians.
      >
      > Dear Kuruvilla do not get disheartened by the who fight, have an eye
      on
      > position and ditch each other and say all this
      > is for Gods sake,prompted by Holy Ghost.Try to emulate the real Gods
      > children.
      > Love
      > vmt

    • DANIEL BABU PAUL
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2002
        my position is clear.

        I am a member of the KPDY and TRVM SOC parishes. However I cannot accept the
        legally wrong positions taken by our leadership; not only myself, ask Cori
        Pathickal( V. Revd. Ouseph Corepiscopa, Pathickal, Perumbavoor, P. O. ,
        Ernakulam District.). My position is as advised by Parasaran; he should know
        law.

        PCA: my reservation was only about the church taking a view. PCA had been
        kind to me , but he has also done to me a very unkind thing, at least once,
        in my IAS career. So I have no personal reason to look forward to a PCA
        presidency. I was only on a principle.

        TOTUS TUUS MARIA
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2002
          my position is clear.
          1. I am a member of TRVm and KPDY Syrian Orthodox parishes.
          2. I feel that our leadership is deliberately flouting court orders. I keep
          quiet because I do not think they like to hear any dissent. First it was me,
          now it is Cori Pathickal etc.
          3. Reg PCA my only point was that a President can in no way interfere with
          our petty church politics. So our objection is only because he belonged to
          the other group. In any case we need not as a church take a view on things
          like Presidential election. Our people vote for Oommen Chandi, their people
          vote for Thankachan Chettan and jacob. When Justice Balakrishnan's father
          died, aged 92 or so, laid up with paralysis for 4 years, on the eve of the
          SC verdict some of our people said it was because of our prayers. Sorry, my
          conscience revolts! In fact I have signed off this forum because I find it
          becomes a distraction in my spiritual life. I try to forget our leaders
          committing contempt of court: e.g. the southern diocese has no bishop with
          the benefit of status quo since Perumpilly Thirumeni died, but we pretend as
          if Koorilose Thirumeni's office has legal sanctity. When Thirumeni comes I
          assist, of course, but that only shows my respect for his KAIVAPPU. People
          do not understand simple things, what can I do! After 95 there is only one
          church. Those who do not want to be part of that church can still keep
          connection with Antioch through EAE, Simhasana Church and Honavar mission.
          Thus the court provides for two streams here, but when we say that we must
          have the cake and eat it too , then, it becomes illegal AS THINGS STAND NOW.
          The parish autonomy has two dimensions. One relates to its administration.
          The KPDY school, e.g., is exclusively within the autonomy of the KPDY
          parish; but Sc has held that AS PART OF MALANKARA CHURCH the parish is bound
          by the 34 Constitution. We find it difficult to get senior lawyers to argue
          our case now!See also the other shorter reply,
          Thank you.
          TOTUS TUUS MARIA
          > dear Babu Paul,I thank you for finding time to reply.but its still
          > frustrating that you keep people guessing regarding your real
          > intentions.you claim you are still close to the Patriarch but yet
          > your grouse is against the "church leadership".you claim you are
          > still a loyal servant of the church but then wer'ent you
          > hobnobbing with the 3 disgraced bishops who were suspended by the
          > Patriarch himself....
        • Moderators
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2002

            Clarification of misconcepts is part of education. However, we will not entertain further comments on this topic at this point. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.