Devotional thoughts for the Sunday of Departed Clergy - 12th Feb 06

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Matthew 24:42-51

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In between the smallest and biggest Lents, the 3 days� and the 50 days�
      Lents, there is a gap of 18 days and in our mother tongue it is known as the
      �Pathinettida� (meaning the gap of 18 days.) During these 18 days there
      comes two Sundays and on the first Sunday the Holy Church remembers the
      entire departed clergy and on the second Sunday the Holy Church remembers
      all the departed faithful. If the Lenten season could be seen as a period of
      war, these 18 days prior to it and kept separate by the Church Fathers are
      also equally important as the Lenten season. The soldiers who do exercises
      and war games as a preparation for the war before the actual war, the
      faithful are meant to utilize the 18 days for the preparation before
      entering the 50 days Lent. As a part of our preparations, we seek the
      co-operation, support and co-existence of the entire departed beloved ones,
      including our respected clergy. We should not forget the fact that the
      individual faithful are not observing the Lent, where as the Holy Church as
      a whole is engaging in the observation of the Lent and each and every
      individual are joining the Holy Church in the long process. We could see
      that the blessed reading of this day on which we seek the continued
      intercession of the departed clergy and the day to honor them, is so
      significant and meaningful. In the first verse of today�s reading itself,
      our Lord reminds us the need for watching out for His blessed second coming.

      In verse 43 our Lord tells us that He would come again as a thief, who might
      appear to loot the house, without notice. So he wants us to watch by keeping
      vigil. St. Paul also exhorts in the similar way in his first epistle to
      Thessalonians 5:6. We read, �Therefore let us not sleep as do others, but
      let us watch and be sober/vigil�. Let us see what is given in Revelation
      23:3. We find there �Remember therefore how you have received and heard, and
      hold fast, and repent. I will come on thee as a thief and you shall not know
      what hour I will come upon you�. The Holy Church is insisting us to depend
      the intercession and blessing of the departed clergy (Priests and above) as
      the Church is sure that her clergy were veterans in remembering what they
      had received and what they had heard, throughout their lives and they had
      held them fast and had a life of repentance. We have to follow the good
      qualities of our departed clergy.

      We find a question in verse 45. �Who then is a faithful and wise servant,
      whom his lord has made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due
      season�. St. Paul is answering this question in 1 Corinthians 3:2, where we
      read, � I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto you were
      not able to bear it, neither yet now are you able.� Here St. Paul is
      referring to the early Church. In the early stages of the Christian Church
      on the world, the Apostles, other disciples and the Martyrs served the food
      needed for the spiritual growth to one and all. The servants of the Holy
      Church in the first century were honest and trustworthy and they appointed
      the like-minded for the future services in the coming years. The same
      procedure is being continued till date. In Hebrews 3:2, it is said that as
      Moses was trustworthy in the house of Lord, Jesus was also trustworthy to
      the one who called him and appointed him on the position. As Jesus had
      appointed all the priests and High priests, selected and appointed our
      former priests and Metropolitans are also honest, trust worthy and dutiful.
      In the 46th verse we read that the servant who is found as dutiful and
      honest he could have a wonderful reward from Lord God. Kindly also read I
      Timothy 4:8.

      We should not forget the fact that all priests and High Priests, were dear
      and near to our Lord God. So it is better to seek their intercession,
      co-operation and support. It will speed up our transactions

      May God bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.