Contemplation Leads to Visions of the Divine Light

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2002

      Contemplation Leads to Visions of the Divine Light

      Syrian Orthodox prayers:

      Open to us, Lord, your great door, 0 Fountain of all mercy, hear our prayer and have mercy on our souls, Lord of the morning and ruler of all seasons, hear our prayer and have mercy on our souls. Shine upon me, Lord, and I shall be Light like the day; I will sing your praise in Light while I marvel; may the morning awaken me to the praise of your Godhead and I will pursue the study of your word all the day long. With the day may your Light shine on our thoughts and may it drive away the shadows of error from our souls. The creation is full of Light, give Light also to our hearts that they may praise you with the day and the night.

      Rise up, 0 Children of Light, and let us give glory to the Lord who alone can save our souls. 0 Lord, as you withdraw sleep from the eyes of our body, grant us wakefulness of mind so that we may stand before you in awe and sing your praises worthily.

      Prayer of St. Augustine:

      I entered even into my inward self. Thou being my Guide and able as I was: for Thou were become my helper. And I entered and beheld with the Eye of my soul (such as it was), above the same eye of my soul above my mind, the Light Unchangeable. Not this ordinary light
      which all flesh may look upon, nor as it were a greater of the same kind, as though the brightness of this should be manifold brighter, and with its greatness take up all space. Not such was the Light but other, yea, far other from all these.... He that knows the Truth,
      knows what that Light is and he that knows It, knows Eternity.

      St. Basil:

      Absolutely unutterable and indescribable are the lightning-like splendors of Divine beauty; neither can speech express nor hearing apprehend. Shall we name the brilliance of the morning star, the brightness of the moon, the radiance of the sun? The glory of all these is unworthy of being compared with the true Light, standing farther from it than does the gloomiest night and the most terrible darkness from midday brightness. This beauty, invisible to bodily eyes, comprehensible to soul and mind only, if it illumines some of the saints, leaves in them an unbearable wound through their desire that this vision of Divine beauty should extend over an eternity of life.

    • dipu george
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2002

        WASNT ST PETER JUST A FISHERMAN OR FOR THAT MATTER MOST OF JESUS DISCIPLES ????

        WE MAY NOT HAVE MANY INTELLECTUALS LIKE THE METRAN KAKSHIS� ...BUT WE HAVE INHERITED THE TRUE FAITH FROM OUR FORE FATHERS

        THAT� IS OUR BIRTH RIGHT WHICH WE DEFEND� UPTO OUR LAST BREATH

        ALOHO AHMUCH

        DIPU GEORGE

        "Thomas V.M"@... wrote:

        Dear All,
        What Babu Paul forgot is Jesus did not select his
        followers from PhD's...
      • George Varghese
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2002
          8 June

          To Kuriakose George

          The real cause of the deterioration of the traditions of our beloved church is
          Malayala Manorama and its associates. They ruined this church. They started
          using politicians for the benefit of the methran kakshi. and patriarchal faction
          reciprocated. Their actual intention was business improvement. For that they
          sided with methran kakshi. How much political pressure was exerted by these
          henious people to win the 1958 case is well known to everybody. The holy
          spirit is not prevailing in this church only because of the outside political
          and legal people's pressure on both sides. Unfortunately leaderships on both
          sides do not understand this.

          "kuriakose george" wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I read recent posting on this forum about Indian Presidential nomination
          > (whether PCA, BP, Narayanan, Fr Kallapara etc). I have fully convinced
          > that I am not at all wrong in my opinion about US ( the great traditional
          > MALANKARA SYRIAN CHRISTIANS whether it is orthodox/Jacobite).
        • George Varghese
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2002
            8 June

            Respected Achen,

            ��� I� cannot� agree with you.�� Patriarchal faction alone cannot� be blamed.� The methran kakshi leadership is also� equally responsible for loosing christian spirit in the church.��� Can� you justify the parumala meeting ?� Is� it convened properly� ?�� People loose� their mind when they are totally ignored.

            Revi/Kuwait

            "Fr. John Kunjukunju" wrote:

            My intention here is only to say Dr Babu Paul, well done. If people with
            sense makes their voice, though there will be problems, things will change
            in the long run. Behind every change there is someone made scapegoat.
            My honest opinion is that present patriarchal faction is the only faction
            who completely lost the Christian spirit....
          • madhu george
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2002
              dear Babu Paul,I thank you for finding time to reply.but its still
              frustrating that you keep people guessing regarding your real
              intentions.you claim you are still close to the Patriarch but yet
              your grouse is against the "church leadership".you claim you are
              still a loyal servant of the church but then wer'ent you
              hobnobbing with the 3 disgraced bishops who were suspended by the
              Patriarch himself.you say that the
              catholicos of the methran faction personally desires peace.what
              have you got to say of the
              catholicos' tacit compliance with the rabid elements of that
              treacherous faction who attempt to close our churches.don't you
              think God will support us against them in this fight?you criticise
              the actions of the church leadership.what's wrong with them.we
              have made our position very clear.we do not want any of their
              properties.why don't they allow us to live in peace?we follow the
              same approach,Abraham followed against Lot.is it
              un-christianly?and when we oppose attempts of certain newspaper
              mafia to elevate P.C.Alexander to the presidency,why should you be
              worried?.his actions all throughout his supposedly distinguished
              career has been akin to hunting with the hound and running with
              the hare.and since they are old habits they will die hard.surely
              we cannot sign our own death warrant.(its preferable to die after
              5 years than sooner).

              On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 "DANIEL
              BABU PAUL" wrote :
              >yesterday i was in a hurry.
              >Reg Kaniamparampil Achan's "experiments with truth" you can ask
              >him; I don't
              >think he would mind. alternatively you can ask Corepiscopa PP
              >Joseph,
              >Kottayam...
            • PAUL POTHEN
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2002

                Babu Paul,

                In the last email you tried to preach that since we are all Christians , we must forgive and only that is Christian.I too agree with that, but let me ask why you are not yet ready to repent for calling Kallapara Achen just as Kallapara, even after many in this forum mentioned that.Now it is your duty to do what you try to preach others.The personal egos with Kallapara family may have prompted you to criticize the Achen, but now is the ideal time to repent yourself for mentioning the priest as just "Kallapara".But if you are not ready to correct that, then how could you advise others to follow.

                Do You Yahoo!?
              • V Thomas
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2002
                  Dear ALL,
                  Today's world is small due to better communication and trans port. Something
                  happens any corner of the world it is known to every one through media.
                  Hence things come to light very fast. People view things and criticize
                  actions. Pope/bishops no one is exempted. This quarrel and fights were there
                  always among men.
                  Roman church persecuted all other Christians for power and
                  number(popularity). They have forcibly taken our people in India,to their
                  fold. Same thing they have done
                  all over the world. But that does not mean there any faithful among them.
                  There would have been silent, insignificant Gods children among them,who
                  will inherit heaven.

                  Why, fight was among the first line of Christ's disciple's .We cannot be
                  more informed about Christ words and actions than them. We cannot be holier
                  than them.
                  (Even though we have holier people to whom saint hood awarded as Oscars).

                  The bishops who came from Syria it took 3-4 years to reach India.Enroute
                  many died and killed. They were driven and guided by Christian spirit.
                  Today orthodox people say they came for money.They can not understand any
                  thing more than money.They are the people who occupy
                  Church property.They drive God,to court.
                  Even today our tradition is same and a vast majority of the people live in
                  the same tradition and devotion. We can see them in our churches
                  We can see the shine on faces, through Holy Communion they are part of
                  Christ body, they are Gods children. They are the real Christians.

                  Dear Kuruvilla do not get disheartened by the who fight, have an eye on
                  position and ditch each other and say all this
                  is for Gods sake,prompted by Holy Ghost.Try to emulate the real Gods
                  children.
                  Love
                  vmt

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2002
                    A few days back i have read a mail by Babu Paul calling
                    Fr.Kallappara Achen "as Kallapara, a village priest with
                    SSLC & TTC".

                    I am very sad that a person of such a great knowledge like
                    Babu Paul, who himself claims, "My postings are , have always
                    been, in the hands of God; that is why even today 2 years
                    after retirement I am being used by God." (Posting in SOCM
                    forum dated, Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:17:41 +0530, write articles
                    like this. I don't know whether God has given him special
                    permission to post articles like this in an Internet forum.
                    May be he responded so cheaply because of his human nature.

                    Anyhow it will good to read what this Kallapara Achen
                    (SSLC & TTC in the words of Babu Paul IAS)wrote about Babu Paul
                    in the book "Keralathile kraisthava Sabakal, Oru Padanam"
                    (Page 17) published in 1994 by Achen himself. In this book
                    Kallappara Achen had only praised this Babu Paul IAS
                    (in a special section).

                    Now compare the languages & the standards of Babu Paul who
                    termed Kallapara Achen as a “village priest with SSLC & TTC”,
                    with that of the Kallapara Achen who termed Babu Paul as a
                    great person in that book.

                    Who is of high standard ? Is that the Babu Paul who have
                    tons of degrees but using indecent languages to criticize others
                    and thereby expressing his unwillingness to accept the general
                    feelings of the common man --- OR ---- is that this
                    “village Priest” (in Babu Paul IAS’s words) who termed this
                    Babu Paul as a great person ?

                    Dear Babu Paul Sir, it will be good if you use words wisely,
                    remember once said it couldn’t be taken back unless he is a
                    political character.
                    Jacob
                  • DANIEL BABU PAUL
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 9, 2002
                      Thank you. Pray for me.
                      TOTUS TUUS MARIA
                      > My intention here is only to say Dr Babu Paul, well done. If people with
                      > sense makes their voice, though there will be problems, things will change
                      > in the long run. Behind every change there is someone made scapegoat.
                      > My honest opinion is that present patriarchal faction is the only faction
                      > who completely lost the Christian spirit.
                      > One open word against the system is enough to ruin the whole thing. It
                      paid
                      > rich dividents to me for airing certain frank opinions.
                      > This is less than a cult. We can only pray. Fr John KK.

                    • John Mancha
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 9, 2002
                        I strongly feel that , we should not have discussed
                        the topic in this forum.

                        John Mancha