Devotional thoughts for 4th Sunday after the feast of Denaha -29th Jan 06

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2006
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Mark 6: 1-6

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      When our Lord opened the chests of treasures of precious pearls of the life
      giving and divine words, the listeners could neither collect them nor enjoy
      them as desired by our Lord. More over they got engaged in degrading our
      Lord by introducing Him as a man of very low profile. When we read this
      Biblical portion or when we listen to it, what sort of feelings come to our
      mind? Are we not thinking that if we were in their place, we would have
      treated more wisely and appreciably? If we examine our thoughts, words and
      deeds with much care, we would come to know that we are much below than the
      people who tried to abuse our Lord. In the 2nd verse of today�s reading, we
      hear from the crowd, who ask, �From where has this man these things? And
      what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are
      wrought by his hands?� We could find similar thoughts and questions in St.
      John 6:42 and 7:15 too. When we the Christian community as a whole, who have
      received the Holy Spirit and who do renew the Holy Spirit in us, behave as
      if we are ignorant of the fruits of the Holy Spirit or pretend as if we are
      not bothered about such an experience, is really painful. Those who are
      bothered about the fruits of the Holy Spirit will always do the needful for
      the growth and flourishing of the Holy Spirit in us. And only such could do
      the will of God, with the fear and love towards our Lord God. Unless we live
      entirely in God and remain the radius of the great Love, we could not love,
      accept and honor our fellowmen. When we fail to differentiate the goodness
      in others, it means that we are very far from our Lord God, who is real
      love, and truth. So the readers might kindly think and decide where are we.

      In the 3rd verse of today�s reading, we find �Is not this the carpenter, the
      son of Mary, the brother of James, and Jo-sees, and of Jude and Simon? Ana
      are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him�. They were
      abusing the one who fed them in their poverty and the one who healed their
      sick and patients. Are we not considering the attractive and impressive
      personality, the melodious and attractive sound and many similar factors of
      the priests and High Priests, to whom the authority is granted by God to
      lead us in high spirits of spirituality? If we consider certain unimportant
      such factors, we are wrong. What is the gain if we analyze the personality
      and the worldly features of the clergy? Let us listen what the Prophet has
      to tell us. �For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a
      root out of a dry ground, he has no form nor comeliness: and when we shall
      see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and
      rejected of men: a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief� (Isaiah
      53:2-3) To the ones who always look for the well formed and beautiful, our
      Lord asks: �For what you went out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment?
      Behold they that wear soft clothing are in Kings� houses� (St. Matthew 11:8)
      In addition to this our Lord says, �And blessed is he, whosoever shall not
      be offended in me� (St. Matthew 11:6). Let us think whether our condition is
      worse than that of the Jews who got offended on the first sight of our Lord.
      Have we given the right place for our Lord in our lives so far? Kindly
      examine and rectify our stand if required.

      Kindly do take care of the 5th verse. We should not create a situation in
      our lives where our Lord could not act, due to our carelessness, improper
      faith and foolishness. Let us humble ourselves and offer our prayers with
      tears. Let us praise our Lord God for all mercies so far. God is willing to
      purify us from all our sins, provided we repent well and approach His mercy.
      If we do not repent well, God might tell as He spoke in Genesis 19:22.

      Let us read Isaiah 59:1-2 and meditate well. Our God is Gracious, kind, and
      merciful. He will not forsake us. Let us seek His guidance in His mercy and
      compassion.
      May God bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.