Re:Christmas Message from the Patriarch

  • Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 3364 , Jan 9, 2006
      Dear Abraham,

      I really hope that the hierarchy of the Malankara Church pays
      attention to this issue. From what I understand, the problem is the
      timely translation of such encyclicals into Malayalam. In the past
      when such encyclicals to Malankara were written in Syriac this was a
      more significant issue. However, the Patriarchate now routinely
      translates encyclicals intended for Malankara and diaspora into
      English. I have no doubt that Malankara has no dearth of people who
      can translate Patriarchal encyclicals from English to Malayalam.

      Patriarchs have a long-standing tradition of sending an encylical to
      parishes to be read on the Sunday of Cana before the Great Lent
      begins. These tend to be lengthy but are very significant writings
      calling the faithful to a proper observance of the lent. A
      collection of lent encyclicals from our present Patriarch can be
      found at http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/PZakka1/Encyclicals.html and
      the Festschrift published by the Chicago St George Church on the
      occasion of the consecration Jubilee last year. None of these were
      read in any Malankara parish; the loss is ours, as anyone will
      realize when they read these encyclicals.

      In late 2005, His Holiness issued an encyclical admonishing Chor
      Episcopos in Malankara and diaspora on the proper use of liturgical
      vestments. It was read in the North American Malankara parishes, but
      not in most Malankara parishes. However, it was expressly intended
      to correct improper practices in Malankara; it is disappointing that
      even such encyclicals from His Holiness are ignored.

      I hope that volunteers from clergy or laity will come forth in
      Malankara and offer services to the office of the Catholicos to do
      timely translations of encyclicals which can be distributed through
      regular channels as well as published on web sites. They will indeed
      be doing a great service for the Church.

      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
      Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [
      http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
      ID: 0202
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3364 of 3364 , May 1 5:25 AM