Mangalam supremo M.C.Varghese is Pasess Away

  • Malankara Voice
    Message 1 of 3362 , Jan 9, 2006
      http://groups.msn.com/SOCM-FORUM/newsamparticles.msnw?action==ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2

      Mangalam supremo M.C.Varghese is Pasess Away
      Tuesday January 10 2006 00:00 IST
      (New Indian Express)

      KOTTAYAM: M.C.Varghese, 73, founder of Mangalam Group of Publications and chief editor of Managalam daily passed away on Monday morning following a heart attack.

      The funeral will be held at Lourdes Forane Church cemetery at 4 p.m. on Tuesday. The body will be brought to the Mangalam headquarters at Choottuveli on Tuesday at 1 p.m. from his house at Annankunnu, near here.

      Varghese, who was suffering with multiple ailments for the past few months, breathed his last at a private hospital by 8.30 am.

      Varghese, who literally fought to carve a name in the Malayalam print media using the language and thoughts of the masses, satiated the desire with a host of products based on the highly successful Mangalam weekly.

      Born to Chacko and Annamma of Mangalappally house, Iranjaal, near here, Varghese was forced to stop his schooling after primary education but later got himself trained in binding works from the Catholic Mission Press. He had worked for some time in `Deepika' daily before launching the Mangalam monthly in 1969. In ten years time, the magazine grew in popularity and attained a weekly format.

      The amazing growth of Mangalam weekly, despite criticism that it pepped up the sensuous cravings of the common readers, was such that it sent shivers down the spine of acclaimed publishing houses with renowned traditions and reader loyalty.

      The circulation of Mangalam weekly touched 16 lakh in June, 1985 - a national record which is unbroken even now.

      Balamangalam and Kanyaka, children's and women's magazines respectively were added to the Mangalam group in 1981 and 1983. Varghese's long-cherished dream to launch a daily was realised on March 16, 1989. Maintaining his link with commoners and the poor, the daily was rolled out at a price less than the prevailing rates of other established vernacular dailies.

      Even today, Mangalam is the low-priced among the Malayalam dailies and is being published from four centres.

      Cinema Mangalam, Muthu, Chithrakatha and Mangalam.com are the other publications launched by the far-sighted printer and publisher.

      His humble beginnings prompted him to organise mass weddings sans dowry for the poor across the state, using the goodwill and contributions earned through his publications. He also used the same strategy to build a cancer ward in the Medical College hospital here.

      Even while making rapid strides as a media giant, Varghese leapt into the field of education. He set up educational institutions ranging from engineering college, BEd and MEd colleges, higher secondary and residential schools within a short span of time.

      Several awards came his way for his notable contributions and unmatched entrepreneurship. Fellow of the Association of Business Executives, England, membership in the Kerala Press Academy, Muttathu Varkey Foundation were some of the honours. He was also honoured with the Renuka Basava Prasasthi (2002), Biotic award (2002), Rashtriya Vikas Rattan Gold Award (2003) and Madhyama Ratnam (2003).

      He is survived by wife Claramma, sons Sabu Varghese (managing editor, Mangalam daily and Mangalam Group of Publications), Sajan Varghese (deputy managing editor, Mangalam daily and Mangalam Group of Publications), Dr Saji Varghese (director, Mangalam Hospital) and Biju Varghese (director, operations, Mangalam Group of Publications). Mini Sabu Varghese, Sojo Sajan Varghese, Priya Saji Varghese and Toshma Biju Varghese are his daughters-in-law.
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3362 of 3362 , Mar 1 5:41 AM
        Dear honorable members

        Greetings in HIS name