INDIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH !!!!

  • JOHNSON
    Message 1 of 3365 , Dec 21, 2005
      DEAR ALL,

      A HOT DEBATE IS GOING ON IN THE CATHOLICOSE FACTION REGARDING
      RENAMING THE CHURCH FROM 'MALANKARA ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH'
      TO 'INDIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH'. AN OPINION POLL IS BEING CONDUCTED IN
      ONE OF THEIR FORUMS AND FOLLOWING IS THE OPINION POSTED BY ONE OF
      THEIR MEMBERS IN USA. WE CAN REJOICE THAT THERE ARE STILL A HANDFUL
      OF PERSONS IN THAT FACTION WHO KNOWS THE REAL HISTORY AND NOT THE
      ONE DOCTRINED BY THEIR INTELLECTUALS.

      SHLOMO AMOKH AND A HAPPY X'MAS TO ALL OUR MEMBERS

      JOHNSON # 2335
      ST. MARY'S J.S.O.C
      BARODA.
      YourDiocese: American Diocese
      Date: 10/18/2005
      YourParish: St. Mary's Cathedral, 1424 Orthodox St Philadelphia, PA
      19124, USA
      VicarsName: Very Rev. CJ Johnson Cor-Episcopa
      Subject: WE CANNOT FORGET OUR HISTORY!!!
      Date: October 18, 2005

      Comments

      I have read the opinions of the people who insist the Malankara
      Church should change its name to the Indian Orthodox Church, to that
      I say absolutely not. It is a travesty and criminal to utter such
      words. We cannot alter our relationship with Antioch. We are a
      church that was embraced by them when the Catholics tried to destroy
      our faith. Our great leaders, Mar Gregorios, Baselios Marthoma
      Mathews I, and Geevarghese Mar Dionysios etc. would turn over in
      their graves at such a ghastly notion. Do these people realize that
      for how many centuries we needed Antioch to give us leaders? All our
      great early Bishops were given their Episcopal ranks from Antioch.
      Who helped us establish the Catholicos of the East in India? Please
      stop talking about our Malankara Church in national terms. India is
      a land full of Hindu and dominated by them. We are a small minority.
      I am an Orthodox Christian before being Indian. I guess we should
      rewrite our Thubden and forget about all our ancient Syriac Fathers
      too. Maybe Mr. P.C. Alexander can give us some names of Early Hindu
      leaders so we can recite them during Holy Qurbana. Maybe we should
      just completely redo the Malankara Church in order to show our
      culture. In the ancient times talk like this was called heresies.
      There is another person that comes to mind when talking about
      changing names, Mar Ivanios and the Malankara Catholics. He betrayed
      the true faith of the church and now we see the same rhetoric.
      Should our church be like the Protestants and change our Church name
      because some people all of the sudden discovered we are Indian?
      The "Indian Orthodox Church" is not the name of my church. We should
      proudly bear the name of Malankara. Our forefathers fought tooth and
      nail for our church and now we want to forget all our history to
      please some people who want to be called Indian. As far as Hinduism
      is concerned, well they are peaceful with us, but that does not mean
      they respect us. Hindus always have their interest at heart. The
      same way they fight against Muslims, which can be very well the same
      with the Malankara church if we get in conflict over one of their
      temple lands. Our orthodox church is steeped in tradition and
      history. No person should ever try to change that. Our services,
      i.e. Holy Qurbana, were given to us by Antioch. St. Thomas brought
      Christianity to India, but when we needed help to bring our faith
      back, who came to help us? I guess we should stop using Syriac in
      our services and start reciting Hindi or Sanskrit, according to
      the "Indian culture" Mr. P.C. Alexander proclaimed. What matter is
      it that other oriental orthodox churches have a national name? We
      are not them. We are the Malankara church. No true believer in the
      Malankara Orthodox Syrian church would ever agree to this type of
      nonsense. Long Live the true faith and the MALANKARA ORTHODOX SYRIAN
      CHURCH!!!!
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3365 of 3365 , Jun 1 5:47 AM
        Dear honorable members