Meditate Upon Scriptures and the Teachings of the Saints to Purify the Mind.

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2002

      Meditate Upon Scriptures and the Teachings of the Saints to Purify the Mind

      From the teachings of Martyrius in: "The Syriac Fathers on Prayer and the Spiritual Life," Sebastian Brock, Cistercian Publications:

      53. Truly great and mighty is the power of God's word. For the word of God has changed the offspring of vipers into children of God. So let us constantly sow it within the hard soil of our heart, waiting for it to soften it so that the wheat-ear of life may sprout up in it. For the word of God is at the same time the seed and the water; and even though we have a heart like stone, it will be softened and split up by the water of the Spirit, so that it can bring forth holy
      fruit that is pleasing to God.

      54. Therefore let no one neglect meditation of the divine words or the labor of reading the appointed measure. As our honored teacher said, from such meditation the soul acquires great benefit and finds salvation. Furthermore, we please God by this occupation, and our
      mouths are cleansed of both abuse and of shameful and frivolous talk, seeing that we are constantly meditating on the holy words. We also become objects of fear for the demons as we arm our tongues with these words. Above all, we bring close to ourselves the grace of the
      Spirit, and the Eye of our soul is made to shine by the understanding we receive from him. This is why God gave us eyes, mouth and hearing, so that all our limbs might be filled with service of him, as we recount his words, carry our his wishes, continuously sing his praises and ceaselessly offer up to him thanksgiving. By these means we shall purify our minds.

    • madhu george
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2002
        dear Babu Paul,i cannot understand your aversion to the
        patriarch faction of late.it does not behove the status of a man
        who was adorned the decoration of the Holy Ghost to betray the
        church.since when did you start realising the virtues of the Roman
        Catholic church.was their persecution of all non catholic
        christians the world over all these years,the source of your
        inspiration. and when was Kaniamparampil Kurien Cor-Episcopa,a
        member of the catholic church?please clarify,for i intend to take
        this matter up with Achen.
        On Wed, 29 May 2002 "DANIEL BABU PAUL" wrote :
        >Although I had decided long ago not to respond in this column
        >Holy Spirit
        >compels me to say that this is very uncharitable. I am not on the
        >question
        >whether PCA would make the best President, but to speak against
        >his
        >nomination JUST BECAUSE he belongs to the other group is very
        >unfortunate.......
      • Mathew Varkey
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2002

          About PC Alexanders’ nomination,  what I read from newspapers is that he is being projected by the BJP Govt. inorder to block the chances of Sonia Gandhi becoming the Prime Minister, who is also a Christian by birth.  By electing PC Alexander as the President (who is for many years a close aide of “Shiv Sena”, a coalition partner of BJP in Maharastra  & Central Govt.), the BJP thinks that they can easily raise the objection to choose another Christian (Sonia ) to the highest position, such as the Prime Minister.   Knowing the trap, the Congress leaders are now demanding to allow the present President Mr. K R Narayanan to continue, instead of P C Alexander.

          Anyhow this is Politics and I am not interested to judge what is right or wrong.  But my present question is regarding Babu Paul’s nomination to another Governmental position. My letter is to him.

          Dear Babu Paul,

          I have read many postings a few weeks back in Indian Orthodox forum in which you expressed your full support to the RSS supreme Sudersan, while criticizing some Christian Bishops (belonging to various Churches) as they objected to his teachings.  You said in that forum that Sudersan is such a nice person and Christian leaders who objected to his stand are doing this without understanding the facts.

          Subsequently, some active participants of that (IOF) forum, criticised you for your stand, which was in favour of RSS chief and that was against Christian Bishops.    I don’t wish to go into the details whether RSS leaders or Christian leaders are correct.

          But I would like to know what prompted you to make such a statement supporting BJP.

          Is it just because you are RECENTLY  SHORTLISTED  BY  THE  SAME  BJP GOVERNEMNT  IN  THE  LIST  OF  PROBABLE  CANDADITAES  FOR  THE  STATE GOVERNER’S  POST  ?

          Mathew Varkey

             Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new