Re: Nationalism and Oriental Orthodoxy

  • Mike Wingert
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      Dearest Moolelachen,

      Great post. Very spiritual as well as informative. Whereas some folks choose to see the politics in everything, I'm happy you show that the SOC sees the spiritual side in things.

      I'd just like to add a little more info to one point you mentioned:

      There were many Greeks who upheld the faith of the three ecumenical synods, perhaps most famous among them: St. Severios, St. Antemos, St. Acacios, etc.

      And mind you, the Syrians were split in three: Orthodox (also called Jacobites), Melkites, and Nestorians. Both the Melkites and nestorians were Syrians who found favor with their national empires, compromising their faith and adopting new doctrines. Contrarily, the Orthodox were persecuted in both of those national areas and suffered simply because of their faith and the fact that they would not capitulate to nationalism.

      It is important to know our history so that we do not repeat it. Unfortunately with the case of some, it is too late.

      Mike Wingert