Devotional thoughts for the Sunday of St. Mary's visit to Elizabeth. 27th Nov 05

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 3368 , Nov 24, 2005
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Luke 1:39-56

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      The Holy Bible reading of today explains about the re-union of two saintly
      ladies who were having certain similarities like staunch faith, obedience to
      God�s commands and eagerness in observing the virtuous lives etc. They both
      were so noble, simple and humble. Though there was a big difference in the
      age of the two, they had conceived in an unusual and heavenly manner. When
      Elizabeth heard the salutation of St. Mary, Elizabeth achieved the fullness
      of the Holy Spirit. In Acts 6:3 we read of the seven Deacons who were filled
      with the Holy Spirit. In Verse 42 we read that Elizabeth spoke in loud
      voice. These were the revelations of the Holy Spirit, as she was filled with
      the Holy Spirit. She shouted in loud voice �You are blessed among women and
      the fruit of your womb is also blessed�. Elizabeth was instrumental to
      address St. Mary as Mother of God for the first time in the history. We must
      think how and why she was selected for this highest honor. When St. Mary
      listened to the words of praise from Elizabeth, she said �my soul does
      magnify the Lord, My spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior�. They could have
      celebrated the occasion in different ways as we might do in our lives. But
      they both were eager to add the due glory to God Almighty. That is the
      greatest significance to this re-union of these two noble ladies.

      We could find another woman in the Old Testament, precisely in 1 Samuel 2:1,
      who was able to add glory to God and to rejoice, when she received a great
      and important blessing from Lord God. There we read �And Hanna prayed and
      said, my heart rejoices in the Lord, mine horn is exalted in the Lord, my
      mouth is enlarged over my enemies, because I rejoice in my salvation.� The
      Psalmist says that the voice of rejoice is in the tabernacle of righteous:
      the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.� (Psalms 118:15) Unless and until
      we are not righteous in our word, deed and thought, we cannot rejoice. St.
      Mary and St. Elizabeth were just in front of the Lord and they were
      blameless. While remembering and honoring these noble saints and others, our
      intention must be to follow their life style. Unless and until we try to
      follow the them, our efforts for the remembrance are invalid.

      Prophet Jeremiah says �Thy word was the rejoice of my heart�. (Jeremiah
      15:16) We all are passing through either or the other problems in our daily
      lives. How many of us are depending the word of God for a relied. How many
      of us could confess like the Prophet Jeremiah. Let us try to learn the word
      of God, which would grant us peace and comfort in the moments of distress.
      St. Paul exhorts us to rejoice in hope. (Romans 12:12) We all talk about
      hope with long tongues. But whenever a fever comes we get totally exhausted
      and disappointed. Why we lose our hope? In whom we were keeping hope till
      then? The faithful who real hope is in Lord Jesus will not have to worry. In
      our practical lives we forget what is meant by hope even. St. Paul explains
      that hope is the certainty of the unseen things. The future as a whole is
      the unseen events and deeds. We should not be pathetic or uncertain about
      the net results of the future. If we have left them to God�s disposal, then
      there is no question of doubt or worry.

      In the 50th verse of today�s reading we read, �And His mercy is on them that
      fear him generation to generation. This sentence is a part of the so called
      �St. Mary�s song. St. Mary reminds us to have fear of the Lord. Due to many
      reasons we all are losing the fear of God day by day, though we are sure
      that where there is no fear, our own response to obedience will be very low.
      Let us try to regain our fear of God in our words and deeds. So that our
      spirituality will be more effective and meaningful.
      May God bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3368 of 3368 , Today at 3:47 AM