Throne of St.Thomas: Concerns

  • Bobby Karukayil
    Message 1 of 3365 , Nov 14, 2005
      Respected members:

      In one of the Indian Orthodox forums I recently happened to read a
      series under the title "Malankara's Mythical Minefields". In Volume
      VIII, the author has cited a number of references to prove that the
      usage of the throne of St.Thomas is nothing new, but it was
      prevalent even from the first century A.D. Among all the points
      that the author has put forward to support his view points, I would
      like to bring to your attention something that struck me the most:
      "e.) 1912. From the letter issued on September 17, 1912**, by HH
      Abdul Masih Patriarch from St Mary's Church, Niranam: ``…By virtue
      of the order of the office of the Shephard, entrusted to Simon Peter
      by our Lord Jesus Messiah, we are prompted to perpetuate for you
      Catholicos or Mapriyana to serve all spiritual requirements that are
      necessary for the conduct of the order of the holy true Church in
      accordance with its faith.... With Geevarghese Mar Dionysius
      Metropolitan, who is the head of the Metropolitans in Malankara and
      with other Metropolitans, Ascetics, Deacons and a large number of
      faithfuls, we have ordained in person our spiritually beloved
      Evanios in the name of Baselius as Mapriyana, i.e., as the
      Catholicos on the Throne of St.Thomas in the East, i.e., in India
      and other places, at the St.Mary's Church, Niranam on Sunday, 2nd
      Kanni, 1912 A.D. as per your request.''

      ** During the course of the hearing, the patriarchal faction alleged
      that this letter (exhibit A 13) was not authentic, and claimed that
      HH Abdul Masih had issued only one letter (exhibit A 14). The IOC
      claimed that without the first letter, there couldn't have been the
      second, since one logically follows the other. The Supreme Court in
      its majority view agreed with our contention.

      REF: ICON Digest Number 1721, Message#3
      Prior to this, I have never heard about a letter with this content
      from the deposed Patriarch Mor Abdhul Messiah stating the
      establishment of a throne of St. Thomas in India in 1912. Pardon me
      since I know only a very little about the Church's historical
      documents and the exhibits presented at the court for the dispute
      case. But, I am really curious to know the truth. I request the
      elder members of this forum to share their views on the validity of
      this letter and the truth behind the IOC's claim that the Supreme
      Court approved the authenticity of this letter. Thank you all in
      advance.

      Slomo,

      Bobby K.
      St. John's SOC, Staten Island
      St. Mary's JSC, Manarcad
      Member Id #

      =======================================================================================================================================From the desk of the Moderator:

      Please sign your messages with member ID. If not having a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID before posting any more messages in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3365 of 3365 , Jun 1 5:47 AM
        Dear honorable members

        Greetings in HIS name