Hildegard of Bingen

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 13 , May 14, 2002

      Hildegard of Bingen:
      Antiphon for the Holy Spirit
      The Holy Spirit is life that gives life,
      Moving all things.
      It is the root in every creature
      And purifies all things,
      Wiping away sins,
      Anointing wounds.
      It is radiant life, worthy of praise,
      Awakening and enlivening
      All things.
      Antiphon for Divine Love
      Love
      Gives herself to all things,
      Most excellent in the depths,
      And above the stars
      Cherishing all:
      For the High King
      She has given
      The kiss of peace.
      God is the Musician
      The soul is kissed by God in its innermost regions.
      With interior yearning, grace and blessing are bestowed.
      It is a yearning to take on God's gentle yoke,
      It is a yearning to give one's self to God's way.
      The marvels of God are not brought forth from one's self.
      Rather, it is more like a Chord, a sound that is played.
      The tone does not come out of the chord itself, but rather,
      through the touch of the Musician.
      I am, of course, the lyre and harp of God's kindness!

    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 13 , May 15, 2002
        Shlomo Rajesh:

        You are entitled to your opinions and interpretation of scripture,
        but I would like you to consider the following:

        1. St. Paul rebukes the early Christians, not the early Fathers of
        the Church. That is not to say that the early fathers were
        infallible. But by the same token, the apostles and disciples of
        Christ some of whom authored the books of the New Testament were not
        either. We find St. Peter betraying Christ (Matt 26:69), St. James
        and John seeking positions of pre-eminence (Mark 10:37), St. Thomas
        expressing unbelief at the ressurection (John 20:25), St. Paul
        anticipating an imminent second coming (I Cor 15:51), St. Matthew in
        his zeal to proclaim Christ as the fulfiller of prophecies, seating
        Christ both on a donkey and a colt on his Entry into Jerusalem (Matt
        21:7, as fulfilment of Zach 9:9), other inconsistencies between the
        Gospel accounts, etc. We cannot accept the New Testament as scripture
        and completely disregard the teachings and traditions of the Holy
        Fathers of the Church, which elaborate and interpret the word of
        truth with authority.

        2. The evolution of New Testament as scripture from a large body of
        writings happened much after the era of the Apostles and the
        Disciples. The early Fathers of the Church in the second century
        accepted some of the writings as authentic part of the scripture,
        rejecting many, and considering others as apocryphal. In fact, this
        resulted in variant canons of the scripture varied among different
        Churches. To this day, for instance, the Syriac Orthodox Church as
        well other Oriental churches consider the Book of Revelation as
        apocryphal and not part of the accepted canon of the New Testament.
        The authenticity of Acts authored by St. Luke was of course never in
        doubt. However, the point is that the very fathers you appear to
        minimize were responsible for the selection of the writings that
        today form what we know as the New Testament. You may argue that the
        writings that made it into the canon were divinely pre-ordained to be
        so, yet you cannot minimize the role of the early Fathers in shaping
        what we regard as scripture today. I would caution against the rather
        naive Protestant-influenced attitude of regarding scripture as the
        literal word of God, interpreting verses of scripture narrowly taking
        them out of the social, cultural, linguistic and historical context
        in which they were authored, ignoring Patristic traditions and
        reaching conclusions that were far from the intent of the authors.

        3. As St. Paul says in his epistle to the Hebrews (1:1-2), "In the
        past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times
        and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by
        his Son,..." Throughout the salvation history of mankind, God has
        spoken to man. He continues to speak to us to this day; unfortunately
        many of us do not strive to listen. While we pride in our
        intellectual faculties and knowledge, most of us are too engrossed in
        the ways of the world to hear and imbibe the Word of God with wisdom.
        It is thus very meaningful that we pray in the divine liturgy to
        raise Fathers of the Church who teach and interpret the word of truth
        correctly. Our attitude should be one of humility and submission to
        the Word of God and to the authority of the Church and its Fathers so
        that we can truly hear Him as He speaks to us.

        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
        Technical Editor, Hugoye (http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye)

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Rajesh Philipos" wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > Thank you for replying to my message. I am heartened to see that we
        all care
        > for each other, especially our spiritual needs and so you took time
        out to
        > answer my question.
        >
        > It might be true that infant baptism started from the 3rd century.
        However,
        > I am not of the opinion that everything that the early church
        fathers did
        > were right......
      • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
        Message 3 of 13 , May 15, 2002

          Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

          To read more click below

             Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
        • PAUL POTHEN
          Message 4 of 13 , May 15, 2002

            Athura (liba),

            I would like to know to which Church you belongs to, Methran�kakshi (Orthodox faction based at Kottayam ) or The�Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church ?

            P Paul

            Message 5 of 13 , May 16, 2002

              Hi Paul..

                    Well i belong to the ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH..headed by Bawa thirumeni (His Holiness Moron Mar baselios Marthoma Mathews II)..And not the Patrughese or Jacobite Section of OSC. That should give u the answer

                                                           Well does that make a difference..I am a christian..follower of God (The Holy Trinity). Is there any restrictions that the members of SOCM-FORUM should be Jacobite OSC?? Aren't we all children of God..

              Liba Thomas

              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience