Anjilimoottil Itty Thommen Kathanar - 343rd anniversery

  • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
    Message 1 of 13 , May 12, 2002

      Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

      To read more click below

         Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
    • Thomas Daniel
      Message 2 of 13 , May 14, 2002

        Hildegard of Bingen:
        Antiphon for the Holy Spirit
        The Holy Spirit is life that gives life,
        Moving all things.
        It is the root in every creature
        And purifies all things,
        Wiping away sins,
        Anointing wounds.
        It is radiant life, worthy of praise,
        Awakening and enlivening
        All things.
        Antiphon for Divine Love
        Love
        Gives herself to all things,
        Most excellent in the depths,
        And above the stars
        Cherishing all:
        For the High King
        She has given
        The kiss of peace.
        God is the Musician
        The soul is kissed by God in its innermost regions.
        With interior yearning, grace and blessing are bestowed.
        It is a yearning to take on God's gentle yoke,
        It is a yearning to give one's self to God's way.
        The marvels of God are not brought forth from one's self.
        Rather, it is more like a Chord, a sound that is played.
        The tone does not come out of the chord itself, but rather,
        through the touch of the Musician.
        I am, of course, the lyre and harp of God's kindness!

      • drthomas_joseph
        Message 3 of 13 , May 15, 2002
          Shlomo Rajesh:

          You are entitled to your opinions and interpretation of scripture,
          but I would like you to consider the following:

          1. St. Paul rebukes the early Christians, not the early Fathers of
          the Church. That is not to say that the early fathers were
          infallible. But by the same token, the apostles and disciples of
          Christ some of whom authored the books of the New Testament were not
          either. We find St. Peter betraying Christ (Matt 26:69), St. James
          and John seeking positions of pre-eminence (Mark 10:37), St. Thomas
          expressing unbelief at the ressurection (John 20:25), St. Paul
          anticipating an imminent second coming (I Cor 15:51), St. Matthew in
          his zeal to proclaim Christ as the fulfiller of prophecies, seating
          Christ both on a donkey and a colt on his Entry into Jerusalem (Matt
          21:7, as fulfilment of Zach 9:9), other inconsistencies between the
          Gospel accounts, etc. We cannot accept the New Testament as scripture
          and completely disregard the teachings and traditions of the Holy
          Fathers of the Church, which elaborate and interpret the word of
          truth with authority.

          2. The evolution of New Testament as scripture from a large body of
          writings happened much after the era of the Apostles and the
          Disciples. The early Fathers of the Church in the second century
          accepted some of the writings as authentic part of the scripture,
          rejecting many, and considering others as apocryphal. In fact, this
          resulted in variant canons of the scripture varied among different
          Churches. To this day, for instance, the Syriac Orthodox Church as
          well other Oriental churches consider the Book of Revelation as
          apocryphal and not part of the accepted canon of the New Testament.
          The authenticity of Acts authored by St. Luke was of course never in
          doubt. However, the point is that the very fathers you appear to
          minimize were responsible for the selection of the writings that
          today form what we know as the New Testament. You may argue that the
          writings that made it into the canon were divinely pre-ordained to be
          so, yet you cannot minimize the role of the early Fathers in shaping
          what we regard as scripture today. I would caution against the rather
          naive Protestant-influenced attitude of regarding scripture as the
          literal word of God, interpreting verses of scripture narrowly taking
          them out of the social, cultural, linguistic and historical context
          in which they were authored, ignoring Patristic traditions and
          reaching conclusions that were far from the intent of the authors.

          3. As St. Paul says in his epistle to the Hebrews (1:1-2), "In the
          past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times
          and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by
          his Son,..." Throughout the salvation history of mankind, God has
          spoken to man. He continues to speak to us to this day; unfortunately
          many of us do not strive to listen. While we pride in our
          intellectual faculties and knowledge, most of us are too engrossed in
          the ways of the world to hear and imbibe the Word of God with wisdom.
          It is thus very meaningful that we pray in the divine liturgy to
          raise Fathers of the Church who teach and interpret the word of truth
          correctly. Our attitude should be one of humility and submission to
          the Word of God and to the authority of the Church and its Fathers so
          that we can truly hear Him as He speaks to us.

          Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
          Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
          Technical Editor, Hugoye (http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye)

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Rajesh Philipos" wrote:
          > Dear all,
          >
          > Thank you for replying to my message. I am heartened to see that we
          all care
          > for each other, especially our spiritual needs and so you took time
          out to
          > answer my question.
          >
          > It might be true that infant baptism started from the 3rd century.
          However,
          > I am not of the opinion that everything that the early church
          fathers did
          > were right......
        • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
          Message 4 of 13 , May 15, 2002

            Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

            To read more click below

               Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
          • PAUL POTHEN
            Message 5 of 13 , May 15, 2002

              Athura (liba),

              I would like to know to which Church you belongs to, Methran�kakshi (Orthodox faction based at Kottayam ) or The�Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church ?

              P Paul

              Message 6 of 13 , May 16, 2002

                Hi Paul..

                      Well i belong to the ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH..headed by Bawa thirumeni (His Holiness Moron Mar baselios Marthoma Mathews II)..And not the Patrughese or Jacobite Section of OSC. That should give u the answer

                                                             Well does that make a difference..I am a christian..follower of God (The Holy Trinity). Is there any restrictions that the members of SOCM-FORUM should be Jacobite OSC?? Aren't we all children of God..

                Liba Thomas

                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience