RE: [SOCM-FORUM] (unknown)

  • Joshy C Abraham
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2002
      Dear Liba,

      SOCM - Syrian Orthodox Church (Jacobite) Members

      Regards,

      Message 2 of 13 , May 12, 2002

        Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

        To read more click below

           Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
      • Thomas Daniel
        Message 3 of 13 , May 14, 2002

          Hildegard of Bingen:
          Antiphon for the Holy Spirit
          The Holy Spirit is life that gives life,
          Moving all things.
          It is the root in every creature
          And purifies all things,
          Wiping away sins,
          Anointing wounds.
          It is radiant life, worthy of praise,
          Awakening and enlivening
          All things.
          Antiphon for Divine Love
          Love
          Gives herself to all things,
          Most excellent in the depths,
          And above the stars
          Cherishing all:
          For the High King
          She has given
          The kiss of peace.
          God is the Musician
          The soul is kissed by God in its innermost regions.
          With interior yearning, grace and blessing are bestowed.
          It is a yearning to take on God's gentle yoke,
          It is a yearning to give one's self to God's way.
          The marvels of God are not brought forth from one's self.
          Rather, it is more like a Chord, a sound that is played.
          The tone does not come out of the chord itself, but rather,
          through the touch of the Musician.
          I am, of course, the lyre and harp of God's kindness!

        • drthomas_joseph
          Message 4 of 13 , May 15, 2002
            Shlomo Rajesh:

            You are entitled to your opinions and interpretation of scripture,
            but I would like you to consider the following:

            1. St. Paul rebukes the early Christians, not the early Fathers of
            the Church. That is not to say that the early fathers were
            infallible. But by the same token, the apostles and disciples of
            Christ some of whom authored the books of the New Testament were not
            either. We find St. Peter betraying Christ (Matt 26:69), St. James
            and John seeking positions of pre-eminence (Mark 10:37), St. Thomas
            expressing unbelief at the ressurection (John 20:25), St. Paul
            anticipating an imminent second coming (I Cor 15:51), St. Matthew in
            his zeal to proclaim Christ as the fulfiller of prophecies, seating
            Christ both on a donkey and a colt on his Entry into Jerusalem (Matt
            21:7, as fulfilment of Zach 9:9), other inconsistencies between the
            Gospel accounts, etc. We cannot accept the New Testament as scripture
            and completely disregard the teachings and traditions of the Holy
            Fathers of the Church, which elaborate and interpret the word of
            truth with authority.

            2. The evolution of New Testament as scripture from a large body of
            writings happened much after the era of the Apostles and the
            Disciples. The early Fathers of the Church in the second century
            accepted some of the writings as authentic part of the scripture,
            rejecting many, and considering others as apocryphal. In fact, this
            resulted in variant canons of the scripture varied among different
            Churches. To this day, for instance, the Syriac Orthodox Church as
            well other Oriental churches consider the Book of Revelation as
            apocryphal and not part of the accepted canon of the New Testament.
            The authenticity of Acts authored by St. Luke was of course never in
            doubt. However, the point is that the very fathers you appear to
            minimize were responsible for the selection of the writings that
            today form what we know as the New Testament. You may argue that the
            writings that made it into the canon were divinely pre-ordained to be
            so, yet you cannot minimize the role of the early Fathers in shaping
            what we regard as scripture today. I would caution against the rather
            naive Protestant-influenced attitude of regarding scripture as the
            literal word of God, interpreting verses of scripture narrowly taking
            them out of the social, cultural, linguistic and historical context
            in which they were authored, ignoring Patristic traditions and
            reaching conclusions that were far from the intent of the authors.

            3. As St. Paul says in his epistle to the Hebrews (1:1-2), "In the
            past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times
            and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by
            his Son,..." Throughout the salvation history of mankind, God has
            spoken to man. He continues to speak to us to this day; unfortunately
            many of us do not strive to listen. While we pride in our
            intellectual faculties and knowledge, most of us are too engrossed in
            the ways of the world to hear and imbibe the Word of God with wisdom.
            It is thus very meaningful that we pray in the divine liturgy to
            raise Fathers of the Church who teach and interpret the word of truth
            correctly. Our attitude should be one of humility and submission to
            the Word of God and to the authority of the Church and its Fathers so
            that we can truly hear Him as He speaks to us.

            Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
            Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
            Technical Editor, Hugoye (http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye)

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Rajesh Philipos" wrote:
            > Dear all,
            >
            > Thank you for replying to my message. I am heartened to see that we
            all care
            > for each other, especially our spiritual needs and so you took time
            out to
            > answer my question.
            >
            > It might be true that infant baptism started from the 3rd century.
            However,
            > I am not of the opinion that everything that the early church
            fathers did
            > were right......
          • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
            Message 5 of 13 , May 15, 2002

              Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

              To read more click below

                 Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
            • PAUL POTHEN
              Message 6 of 13 , May 15, 2002

                Athura (liba),

                I would like to know to which Church you belongs to, Methran�kakshi (Orthodox faction based at Kottayam ) or The�Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church ?

                P Paul

                What does SOCM-FORUM Stand for...Am confused a bit..

                Is it anyway dedicated to The Orthodox Jacobite Church (Patrugheese) or The Orthodox Syrian Church..or its a Combn of members from both section of the church..

              • aathura thomas
                Message 7 of 13 , May 16, 2002

                  Hi Paul..

                        Well i belong to the ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH..headed by Bawa thirumeni (His Holiness Moron Mar baselios Marthoma Mathews II)..And not the Patrughese or Jacobite Section of OSC. That should give u the answer

                                                               Well does that make a difference..I am a christian..follower of God (The Holy Trinity). Is there any restrictions that the members of SOCM-FORUM should be Jacobite OSC?? Aren't we all children of God..

                  Liba Thomas

                  LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience