Orthodox Unity Conference

  • SOCM Moderator
    Message 1 of 13 , May 10, 2002

      Dear Forum Members

      There is an Orthodox Unity Conference in Toronto, Canada May, 2002Check this web site for details.

      http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gxsam111/

    • Forum Moderator
      Message 2 of 13 , May 11, 2002
        Dear Liba
        Forum Home Page message is self explanatory. Still we keep the
        freedom of speech and expressions. We believe that their are many
        other sources to express the members view. If we do not allow to post
        their posting in this forum, they may seek other sources. Their they
        may be brain washed, so we do allow most of the postings with or
        without editing.
        Forum Moderator

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., aathura thomas wrote:
        > Hello...
        > What does SOCM-FORUM Stand for...Am confused a bit..
        > Is it anyway dedicated to The Orthodox Jacobite Church
        (Patrugheese) or The Orthodox Syrian Church..or its a Combn of
        members from both section of the church..
        > Well some info abt the Supreme Court Case,
        > Malankara Sabha Case scheduled for Wednesday, 8th May 2002 has been
        > postponed following the death of the father of Justice K G
        Balakrishnan, a member
        > of the SC Bench hearing the case.A new date will be announced
        later.However, since the the court closes
        > for summer Vacation now, it can now come up after the vacation only
        in
        > June/July.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Liba

        > Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th!
      • Joshy C Abraham
        Message 3 of 13 , May 11, 2002
          Dear Liba,

          SOCM - Syrian Orthodox Church (Jacobite) Members

          Regards,

          What does SOCM-FORUM Stand for...Am confused a bit..

          Is it anyway dedicated to The Orthodox Jacobite Church (Patrugheese) or The Orthodox Syrian Church..or its a Combn of members from both section of the church..

          Well some info abt the Supreme Court Case,

          Malankara Sabha Case scheduled for Wednesday, 8th May 2002 has been
          postponed following the death of the father of Justice K G Balakrishnan, a member
          of the SC Bench hearing the case.A new date will be announced later.However, since the the court closes
          for summer Vacation now, it can now come up after the vacation only in
          June/July.

          Regards,

          Liba

        • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
          Message 4 of 13 , May 12, 2002

            Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

            To read more click below

               Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
          • Thomas Daniel
            Message 5 of 13 , May 14, 2002

              Hildegard of Bingen:
              Antiphon for the Holy Spirit
              The Holy Spirit is life that gives life,
              Moving all things.
              It is the root in every creature
              And purifies all things,
              Wiping away sins,
              Anointing wounds.
              It is radiant life, worthy of praise,
              Awakening and enlivening
              All things.
              Antiphon for Divine Love
              Love
              Gives herself to all things,
              Most excellent in the depths,
              And above the stars
              Cherishing all:
              For the High King
              She has given
              The kiss of peace.
              God is the Musician
              The soul is kissed by God in its innermost regions.
              With interior yearning, grace and blessing are bestowed.
              It is a yearning to take on God's gentle yoke,
              It is a yearning to give one's self to God's way.
              The marvels of God are not brought forth from one's self.
              Rather, it is more like a Chord, a sound that is played.
              The tone does not come out of the chord itself, but rather,
              through the touch of the Musician.
              I am, of course, the lyre and harp of God's kindness!

            • drthomas_joseph
              Message 6 of 13 , May 15, 2002
                Shlomo Rajesh:

                You are entitled to your opinions and interpretation of scripture,
                but I would like you to consider the following:

                1. St. Paul rebukes the early Christians, not the early Fathers of
                the Church. That is not to say that the early fathers were
                infallible. But by the same token, the apostles and disciples of
                Christ some of whom authored the books of the New Testament were not
                either. We find St. Peter betraying Christ (Matt 26:69), St. James
                and John seeking positions of pre-eminence (Mark 10:37), St. Thomas
                expressing unbelief at the ressurection (John 20:25), St. Paul
                anticipating an imminent second coming (I Cor 15:51), St. Matthew in
                his zeal to proclaim Christ as the fulfiller of prophecies, seating
                Christ both on a donkey and a colt on his Entry into Jerusalem (Matt
                21:7, as fulfilment of Zach 9:9), other inconsistencies between the
                Gospel accounts, etc. We cannot accept the New Testament as scripture
                and completely disregard the teachings and traditions of the Holy
                Fathers of the Church, which elaborate and interpret the word of
                truth with authority.

                2. The evolution of New Testament as scripture from a large body of
                writings happened much after the era of the Apostles and the
                Disciples. The early Fathers of the Church in the second century
                accepted some of the writings as authentic part of the scripture,
                rejecting many, and considering others as apocryphal. In fact, this
                resulted in variant canons of the scripture varied among different
                Churches. To this day, for instance, the Syriac Orthodox Church as
                well other Oriental churches consider the Book of Revelation as
                apocryphal and not part of the accepted canon of the New Testament.
                The authenticity of Acts authored by St. Luke was of course never in
                doubt. However, the point is that the very fathers you appear to
                minimize were responsible for the selection of the writings that
                today form what we know as the New Testament. You may argue that the
                writings that made it into the canon were divinely pre-ordained to be
                so, yet you cannot minimize the role of the early Fathers in shaping
                what we regard as scripture today. I would caution against the rather
                naive Protestant-influenced attitude of regarding scripture as the
                literal word of God, interpreting verses of scripture narrowly taking
                them out of the social, cultural, linguistic and historical context
                in which they were authored, ignoring Patristic traditions and
                reaching conclusions that were far from the intent of the authors.

                3. As St. Paul says in his epistle to the Hebrews (1:1-2), "In the
                past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times
                and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by
                his Son,..." Throughout the salvation history of mankind, God has
                spoken to man. He continues to speak to us to this day; unfortunately
                many of us do not strive to listen. While we pride in our
                intellectual faculties and knowledge, most of us are too engrossed in
                the ways of the world to hear and imbibe the Word of God with wisdom.
                It is thus very meaningful that we pray in the divine liturgy to
                raise Fathers of the Church who teach and interpret the word of truth
                correctly. Our attitude should be one of humility and submission to
                the Word of God and to the authority of the Church and its Fathers so
                that we can truly hear Him as He speaks to us.

                Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
                Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
                Technical Editor, Hugoye (http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye)

                --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Rajesh Philipos" wrote:
                > Dear all,
                >
                > Thank you for replying to my message. I am heartened to see that we
                all care
                > for each other, especially our spiritual needs and so you took time
                out to
                > answer my question.
                >
                > It might be true that infant baptism started from the 3rd century.
                However,
                > I am not of the opinion that everything that the early church
                fathers did
                > were right......
              • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
                Message 7 of 13 , May 15, 2002

                  Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

                  To read more click below

                     Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
                • PAUL POTHEN
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 15, 2002

                    Athura (liba),

                    I would like to know to which Church you belongs to, Methran�kakshi (Orthodox faction based at Kottayam ) or The�Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church ?

                    P Paul

                    What does SOCM-FORUM Stand for...Am confused a bit..

                    Is it anyway dedicated to The Orthodox Jacobite Church (Patrugheese) or The Orthodox Syrian Church..or its a Combn of members from both section of the church..

                  • aathura thomas
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 16, 2002

                      Hi Paul..

                            Well i belong to the ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH..headed by Bawa thirumeni (His Holiness Moron Mar baselios Marthoma Mathews II)..And not the Patrughese or Jacobite Section of OSC. That should give u the answer

                                                                   Well does that make a difference..I am a christian..follower of God (The Holy Trinity). Is there any restrictions that the members of SOCM-FORUM should be Jacobite OSC?? Aren't we all children of God..

                      Liba Thomas

                      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience