Re: [SOCM-FORUM] Re: Baptism.

  • Rajesh Philipos
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2002
      Dear all,

      Thank you for replying to my message. I am heartened to see that we all care
      for each other, especially our spiritual needs and so you took time out to
      answer my question.

      It might be true that infant baptism started from the 3rd century. However,
      I am not of the opinion that everything that the early church fathers did
      were right. Otherwise, why the need for soo many letters from Paul to the
      various churches correcting them. So, I do not necessarily believe that
      because it was practised early on, it ought to be right.

      When I read the Acts of the Apostles, everytime I read of a baptism, it
      happened only after the person believed. If the idea of infant baptism is
      that the god-parents lead the infant to discipleship, then that makes sense.
      But, then that is not the same baptism as mentioned in the Bible that always
      took place after a person believed. I am not a scholar in the Bible so I
      might be wrong. Please do not interpret my writing as being arrogant. I am
      just learning now. I also do not see how a believer's infants are holy. God
      says all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Even infants,
      born to Christians or gentiles. Each of us have to believe for ourselves,
      not because our parents believed.

      Maybe, this isnt a big issue because if it was, Jesus would have made it
      clear in the Bible. More importantly is our personal belief in Christ, that
      he died to save me from my sins. That is what is important. I think if we
      have that personal belief and follow Him, we will be saved (John 3:16),
      baptised as an infant or not. Baptism, to me, is a public affirmation of my
      being a Christian and also in Obedience to Him (Mathew 28.19).

      Love in Christ,
      Rajesh.

      >From: "drthomas_joseph"
      >To: SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SOCM-FORUM] Re: Baptism.
      >Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 10:30:18 -0000
      >
      >Dear Rajesh,
      >
      >As you have noted, the New Testament does not explicitly require or
      >forbid infant baptism. As the Oxford Encylopaedia of the Christian
      >Church (1997, p. 831) notes, the tradition is at least as old as 3rd
      >century and universally practised until 16th century when the
      >practice was rejected by the Anabaptists.
    • aathura thomas
      Message 2 of 13 , May 10, 2002

        Hello...

        ������ What does SOCM-FORUM Stand for...Am confused a bit..

        Is it anyway dedicated to The Orthodox Jacobite Church (Patrugheese) or The Orthodox Syrian Church..or its a Combn of members from both section of the church..

        Well some info abt the Supreme Court Case,

        Malankara Sabha Case scheduled for Wednesday, 8th May 2002 has been
        postponed following the death of the father of Justice K G Balakrishnan, a member
        of the SC Bench hearing the case.A new date will be announced later.However, since the the court closes
        for summer Vacation now, it can now come up after the vacation only in
        June/July.

        Regards,

        Liba

        "The Lord is wonderfully good to those who wait for him & seek him"

      • thomas_pa1
        Message 3 of 13 , May 10, 2002
          Dear Rajesh, In the New Testament, nothing disproves the
          practise of infant baptism. Show that Apostles were strictly
          against baptism of infants or those who cannot make a decision
          of their own. If Apostles were against some practise, they will
          directly write about it.

          Here is a nice article to study:
          http://www.ephesus.com/Orthodox/InfantBaptism.html

          You think that faith is a matter of personal conviction or
          knowledge. In your terms, prerequisite for baptism is
          personal faith. This, I think, is the basis of your
          argument. Your argument is true, but only in certain situations.

          I think that personal faith is a prerequisite in certain situations,
          not in all situations. For example, if a person is grown up
          and able to make decision of his own, then personal faith and
          confession of the faith is a precondition for a valid baptism.
          Orthodox church do baptise believing adults. Muukancheril Thirumeni
          baptised many adults.

          There are many grown up people having problems with memory and
          functions of the brain. Such people cannot make a decision of their
          own. Now, if a houshold of such a person believed and decided
          to join the church through baptism, who will make the decision
          for the disabled person? Is he left alone without giving
          baptism and later communion.

          In the Orthodox church, sacraments are related to each other.
          Associated with baptism is communion. Communion is receiving Christ.
          In Orthodox Church, infants are given communion immediately after
          baptism. Thus, Christ is not restricted to any in the Church.
          Other churches does not give communion to children. They wait
          for the chrismation or baptism of the child which happens about the
          age of 7. They are effectively restricting Christ. This is a huge
          theological error.

          One thing I found interesting in the above link is that even
          founders of Protestant movement believed in the old practise
          of infant baptism:

          Of the baptism of children we hold that children ought to be
          baptized. For they belong to the promised redemption made through
          Christ, and the Church should administer it to them.
          (Martin Luther, The Smalcald Articles, Article V: Of Baptism, 1537)

          "If, by baptism, Christ intends to attest the ablution by which
          he cleanses his Church, it would seem not equitable to deny this
          attestation to infants, who are justly deemed part of the Church,
          seeing they are called heirs of the heavenly kingdom." (John Calvin,
          Institutes of the Christian Religion, 1559)

          Thus, restricting baptism to infants is a relatively new rule.
          Luther or Calvin didn't had this new rule in thier mind when they
          opposed Vatican.

          You also suggest that Apostles had hard time correcting wrong
          practises in the church. You are right. If Apostles were really
          against the practise of infant baptism, they would definitely
          write clearly that infant baptism should be avoided. But none
          of the Apostles said so. Actually church blindly followed
          Apostolic faith and kept all things they taught.

          Orthodox church didn't introduce strict dogmas on many things,
          while others later introduced lots of limitations and restrictions.
          They spend too much of time arguing with Christians on such matters,
          instead of helping people to grow spiritually. They introduce new
          dogmas to replace existing traditions. Is this the aim of Christian
          life?

          To conclude, Orthodox Church does not restrict baptism to any human
          being based on his mental capabilities. Others are saying that only
          those with the mental capabiltiy to believe and confess can receive
          baptism.

          -Thomas

        • SOCM Moderator
          Message 4 of 13 , May 10, 2002

            Dear Forum Members

            There is an Orthodox Unity Conference in Toronto, Canada May, 2002Check this web site for details.

            http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gxsam111/

          • Forum Moderator
            Message 5 of 13 , May 11, 2002
              Dear Liba
              Forum Home Page message is self explanatory. Still we keep the
              freedom of speech and expressions. We believe that their are many
              other sources to express the members view. If we do not allow to post
              their posting in this forum, they may seek other sources. Their they
              may be brain washed, so we do allow most of the postings with or
              without editing.
              Forum Moderator

              --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., aathura thomas wrote:
              > Hello...
              > What does SOCM-FORUM Stand for...Am confused a bit..
              > Is it anyway dedicated to The Orthodox Jacobite Church
              (Patrugheese) or The Orthodox Syrian Church..or its a Combn of
              members from both section of the church..
              > Well some info abt the Supreme Court Case,
              > Malankara Sabha Case scheduled for Wednesday, 8th May 2002 has been
              > postponed following the death of the father of Justice K G
              Balakrishnan, a member
              > of the SC Bench hearing the case.A new date will be announced
              later.However, since the the court closes
              > for summer Vacation now, it can now come up after the vacation only
              in
              > June/July.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Liba

              > Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th!
            • Joshy C Abraham
              Message 6 of 13 , May 11, 2002
                Dear Liba,

                SOCM - Syrian Orthodox Church (Jacobite) Members

                Regards,

                What does SOCM-FORUM Stand for...Am confused a bit..

                Is it anyway dedicated to The Orthodox Jacobite Church (Patrugheese) or The Orthodox Syrian Church..or its a Combn of members from both section of the church..

                Well some info abt the Supreme Court Case,

                Malankara Sabha Case scheduled for Wednesday, 8th May 2002 has been
                postponed following the death of the father of Justice K G Balakrishnan, a member
                of the SC Bench hearing the case.A new date will be announced later.However, since the the court closes
                for summer Vacation now, it can now come up after the vacation only in
                June/July.

                Regards,

                Liba

              • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
                Message 7 of 13 , May 12, 2002

                  Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

                  To read more click below

                     Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
                • Thomas Daniel
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 14, 2002

                    Hildegard of Bingen:
                    Antiphon for the Holy Spirit
                    The Holy Spirit is life that gives life,
                    Moving all things.
                    It is the root in every creature
                    And purifies all things,
                    Wiping away sins,
                    Anointing wounds.
                    It is radiant life, worthy of praise,
                    Awakening and enlivening
                    All things.
                    Antiphon for Divine Love
                    Love
                    Gives herself to all things,
                    Most excellent in the depths,
                    And above the stars
                    Cherishing all:
                    For the High King
                    She has given
                    The kiss of peace.
                    God is the Musician
                    The soul is kissed by God in its innermost regions.
                    With interior yearning, grace and blessing are bestowed.
                    It is a yearning to take on God's gentle yoke,
                    It is a yearning to give one's self to God's way.
                    The marvels of God are not brought forth from one's self.
                    Rather, it is more like a Chord, a sound that is played.
                    The tone does not come out of the chord itself, but rather,
                    through the touch of the Musician.
                    I am, of course, the lyre and harp of God's kindness!

                  • drthomas_joseph
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 15, 2002
                      Shlomo Rajesh:

                      You are entitled to your opinions and interpretation of scripture,
                      but I would like you to consider the following:

                      1. St. Paul rebukes the early Christians, not the early Fathers of
                      the Church. That is not to say that the early fathers were
                      infallible. But by the same token, the apostles and disciples of
                      Christ some of whom authored the books of the New Testament were not
                      either. We find St. Peter betraying Christ (Matt 26:69), St. James
                      and John seeking positions of pre-eminence (Mark 10:37), St. Thomas
                      expressing unbelief at the ressurection (John 20:25), St. Paul
                      anticipating an imminent second coming (I Cor 15:51), St. Matthew in
                      his zeal to proclaim Christ as the fulfiller of prophecies, seating
                      Christ both on a donkey and a colt on his Entry into Jerusalem (Matt
                      21:7, as fulfilment of Zach 9:9), other inconsistencies between the
                      Gospel accounts, etc. We cannot accept the New Testament as scripture
                      and completely disregard the teachings and traditions of the Holy
                      Fathers of the Church, which elaborate and interpret the word of
                      truth with authority.

                      2. The evolution of New Testament as scripture from a large body of
                      writings happened much after the era of the Apostles and the
                      Disciples. The early Fathers of the Church in the second century
                      accepted some of the writings as authentic part of the scripture,
                      rejecting many, and considering others as apocryphal. In fact, this
                      resulted in variant canons of the scripture varied among different
                      Churches. To this day, for instance, the Syriac Orthodox Church as
                      well other Oriental churches consider the Book of Revelation as
                      apocryphal and not part of the accepted canon of the New Testament.
                      The authenticity of Acts authored by St. Luke was of course never in
                      doubt. However, the point is that the very fathers you appear to
                      minimize were responsible for the selection of the writings that
                      today form what we know as the New Testament. You may argue that the
                      writings that made it into the canon were divinely pre-ordained to be
                      so, yet you cannot minimize the role of the early Fathers in shaping
                      what we regard as scripture today. I would caution against the rather
                      naive Protestant-influenced attitude of regarding scripture as the
                      literal word of God, interpreting verses of scripture narrowly taking
                      them out of the social, cultural, linguistic and historical context
                      in which they were authored, ignoring Patristic traditions and
                      reaching conclusions that were far from the intent of the authors.

                      3. As St. Paul says in his epistle to the Hebrews (1:1-2), "In the
                      past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times
                      and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by
                      his Son,..." Throughout the salvation history of mankind, God has
                      spoken to man. He continues to speak to us to this day; unfortunately
                      many of us do not strive to listen. While we pride in our
                      intellectual faculties and knowledge, most of us are too engrossed in
                      the ways of the world to hear and imbibe the Word of God with wisdom.
                      It is thus very meaningful that we pray in the divine liturgy to
                      raise Fathers of the Church who teach and interpret the word of truth
                      correctly. Our attitude should be one of humility and submission to
                      the Word of God and to the authority of the Church and its Fathers so
                      that we can truly hear Him as He speaks to us.

                      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
                      Web Master, SOR (http://sor.cua.edu)
                      Technical Editor, Hugoye (http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye)

                      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Rajesh Philipos" wrote:
                      > Dear all,
                      >
                      > Thank you for replying to my message. I am heartened to see that we
                      all care
                      > for each other, especially our spiritual needs and so you took time
                      out to
                      > answer my question.
                      >
                      > It might be true that infant baptism started from the 3rd century.
                      However,
                      > I am not of the opinion that everything that the early church
                      fathers did
                      > were right......
                    • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 15, 2002

                        Click the following links for the latest from Malankara

                        To read more click below

                           Yahoo! Autos - everything you wanted to know about cars and bikes new
                      • PAUL POTHEN
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 15, 2002

                          Athura (liba),

                          I would like to know to which Church you belongs to, Methran�kakshi (Orthodox faction based at Kottayam ) or The�Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church ?

                          P Paul

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 16, 2002

                            Hi Paul..

                                  Well i belong to the ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH..headed by Bawa thirumeni (His Holiness Moron Mar baselios Marthoma Mathews II)..And not the Patrughese or Jacobite Section of OSC. That should give u the answer

                                                                         Well does that make a difference..I am a christian..follower of God (The Holy Trinity). Is there any restrictions that the members of SOCM-FORUM should be Jacobite OSC?? Aren't we all children of God..

                            Liba Thomas

                            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience