Something to think about - HG Mor Athanasios

  • SOCM Member
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 4, 2005
      Dear All,

      I am sure that I may anger at least a few of our members by this mail. But please do bear with me.

      Recently I read in one of the IOC Forums that HG Mor Athanasios Thomas of Kandanad Diocese was the main person responsible for the conversion of Vellathooval Stephen a dreade Naxalite. I dont have any first hand information on the same so cannot comment. But this propmted me to think about HG.

      Though HG is not with us anymore, we cannot dispute the fact that he is one of the most scholarly thirumenis we have in the Malankara church today, both factions put together. We also cannot dispute the fact that when we lost him it was a real loss. Until now, I have not been able to understand the reason why HG did this to us. Maybe he had his own reasons. Maybe he has his own justifications.That is not a point of our discussion now.

      I have been sometimes pondering over what HG will be thinking within himself. Will he have ever realised that he betrayed the faith of the church who made him what he is today ? Will he have ever thought how much he must have pained the soul of L L Baselios Paulose Bava who nurtured him from childhood ? And most importantly will he ever have thought about reversing the hasty decision he took ?

      I personally believe that we can group the four bishops who defected into two categories. Mor Severios and Mor Athanasios are more simple minded and more sincere in their approach while the other two have been known manipulators who would have made better politicians. Please do not feel that I am judging anyone. This is personally what I have inferred. This had given a ray of hope that the first two may return to the mother church. Of these Mor Severios is already back and was welcomed into the church. That leaves us with with HG Mor Athanasios.

      Of course, he has filed court cases against us. Of course the priests appointed by him have created problems in our churches and closed down some of them. But I cannot believe that it was HG who wanted it this way. Maybe he was desperate to prove something to his new Masters. Maybe this has been preventing him from thinking about a comeback. Maybe he is afraid what will be the reaction of the people. This is where we have to help him.

      I am sure HG will not be at peace with himself when he thinks how he has betrayed the church which had kept so much faith in him. I sincerely request everybody to pray for HG to take a decision about coming back to the mother church. Thirumeni, at the spur of the moment you might have taken a wrong decision. But we the church need you. We need your spiritual guidance. And if you take a decision to comeback be assured of the same love and obedience you enjoyed with us earlier. Please do listen to your conscience.

      Best Regards

      Request to moderators : Please withhold my name from the message.
      Name & member ID is withheld by the moderators as per the request of honorable member.
    • SOCM News Bureau
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 8, 2005
        The pathetic story of Esther and her sisters of Mulanthuruthi is really heartbreaking. The Mathrubhumi yesterday reported the death of Esther, who died due to sickness and of malnutrition, should pose as a question mark on the Christina society.

        The one acre land with a house and around 3 acres of coconut and rubber plantation were in no way supported the life of Esther and her sisters Chinnamma teacher and Mary. The present cost of the land alone will be around 2 crores. However, it was reported that their brother Thampi was so cruel that he didn�t even allowed the sisters to get married and were beating them. He never allowed any other people to enter into their property.

        Esther was found dead on Thursday in her room and after her burial in Mulanthuruthi Marthoman Church, the sisters are now got admitted in a nearby hospital. �We didn�t eat anything for days. My Father made our house with rooms for every child, but fate was so cruel to us, and we couldn�t live there peacefully�, a weeping Mary told the crowd assembled at the funeral service. She showed the marks of beating on her body as well, inflicted by her brother Thampi.

        �Nobody was coming to our house due to Thampi�s cruelty. We were longing to see some people at some times.� Mary told the public. �For the last ten year we didn�t gone out of our house.�

        Chinnamma was a school teacher and her pension of Rs. 2,000/- was the only income for them. She was a Sunday school teacher as well. Her present condition is very pathetic as due to long period of poverty, she is bedridden and couldn�t even recognize any people.

        SOCM NEWS BUREAU � KOCHI