Malankara News

  • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2002
    • drthomas_joseph
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2002
        Dear Rajesh,

        As you have noted, the New Testament does not explicitly require or
        forbid infant baptism. As the Oxford Encylopaedia of the Christian
        Church (1997, p. 831) notes, the tradition is at least as old as 3rd
        century and universally practised until 16th century when the
        practice was rejected by the Anabaptists. This indicates that the
        early fathers of the church never considered infant baptism to
        contradict scripture. Matthew 28:19 (Therefore go and make disciples
        of all nations, baptizing them in the name ...) cannot be
        extrapolated to infer that only adults who have accepted and
        confessed faith in Christ can become disciples of Christ, nor does it
        necessarily imply that one has to follow the other. At baptism, the
        god-parent assumes the responsibility to raise the infant as a
        disciple of Christ. As one of the Syriac baptismal liturgies
        notes: "Instead of the womb of Eve which produced children who are
        mortal and corruptible, may this womb of water produce children who
        are heavenly, spiritual and immortal." That is precisely the intent
        of infant baptism.

        After noting that the Bible does not take a position on infant
        baptism, it is suprising that you say that tradition contradicts the
        Bible.

        Baptism gives birth to "spiritual children" and Church raises them
        up. In the hymn of Mor Ya`qub of Sarug (c. 451-521) at the beginning
        of the consecration of water for baptism, set to the meter of quqoyo,
        we sing:

        "Come, hear and I will narrate to you, Halleliuah,
        who sees the two beautiful sisters, like
        the pure baptism and the Holy Church:
        One gives birth and the other brings up,
        the new and spiritual children.
        When baptism brings forth the spiritual child through water
        The Holy Church receives it and gives to the Lord, Halleluiah,
        the spiritual child."

        Indeed in the case of infants, discipleship follows baptism.

        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources
        (http://sor.cua.edu)
        Technical Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
        (http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/)

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "Rajesh Philipos" wrote:
        > Thank you for repling to my query.
        >
        > I do not read Malayalam (can speak, though) so I might not get the
        book. I
        > did check the website that I was refered to.
      • MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2002