Devotional thoughts for 4th Sunday after the Assumption (Soonoyo) 11-09-05

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 1567 , Sep 10, 2005
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Matthew 5: 38-48.

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      We all are sure about the context of today�s Gospel reading. It is an
      incident which happened immediately after the blessed Sermon on the Mount.
      In fact it is the continuation of the Sermon on the Mount. Our Lord is
      teaching the ways to be perfect as our Father in Heaven is perfect. 1) You
      should not resist evil. In the Old Testament era, though the ignorant ones
      maintained the principle of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, the
      faithful were often advised by the Prophets and wise men not to resist the
      evil. In Proverbs 20:22 we read, �You should not say, I will recompense
      evil; but wait on the Lord, and he shall save you�. Lord God used to inform
      His men through the Prophets that resistance is the right of God. For
      example see Deuteronomy 32:35 where we read, �To me belong vengeance, and
      recompense�. Our Lord not only teach the principles, but also showed others
      how those principles could be made practical. We cannot see the perfection
      of virtues before the time of our Lord among men. Now also there are many
      people who think that virtuous life is only possible for Lord Jesus only. So
      in their casual talks, they say �after all I am not Lord Jesus. So I am
      unable to forgive him/her.� Our Lord wants all His children to observe the
      teachings in their practical lives. He showed us how one could react
      positively in this world against the evil, as it was prophesied by Prophet
      Isaiah in his prophecy chapter 50 verse 6. He wants His children to follow
      His blessed foot steps. How many of us are willing to lead a virtuous life
      as shown and envisaged by our Lord? For the sake of prestige issue based on
      our selfish interests, many of us fail to forget and forgive. As a result,
      enmity increases; peace and happiness disappear from this world. Is it good
      while we all are true Christians? Just think well and do the needful to
      correct ourselves. In verse 40 and 41 we could find our Lord emphasizing the
      teaching in Deuteronomy 15: 8.
      2) He teaches a new lesson to love the enemies. Till then the world had
      never heard such a teaching. No body had thought in that way also. When our
      Lord was suffering the pains on the cross, our Lord prayed for His enemies
      and showed the world how to love enemies. Now a days most of us make use of
      love for our selfish interests and many of us ignore the value and moral of
      the unselfish and sacrificing love. Our Lord�s love is caring, sharing and
      painstaking. Are we not supposed to follow such a love. The meaning and
      significance of the real love is restricted within certain boundaries. Our
      Lord taught us to love God and fellowmen without any limits and controls.
      When we say that God is love, we mean that love of the Holy Trinity is
      overflowing from the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. Let us pray earnestly
      to God Almighty to teach us to love one another without restrictions and
      selfish motives. Let us love our Lord God and our own fellowmen.
      May God bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    • Mark Sadek
      Message 1567 of 1567 , Feb 4 6:51 PM

        "... avoid in all possible ways communion with people, who can be a temptation to you ... The wise Solomon calls a man wise, who fears and avoids the causes of sin; and he calls foolish a man who, with great self-reliance, confidently neglects to avoid them, saying: 'A wise man fears, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, and is confident'... (Prov. 14:16)."

           Lorenzo Scupoli.

        "Give to the Lord, O families of the peoples, Give to the Lord glory and strength. Give to the Lord the glory due His name; Bring an offering, and come into His courts. Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness!"  Psalm 96:7-9

        Prayer Requests:

        Hanna - Heart surgery
        Ursula - Another surgery
        Evelyn - Cancer
        5 years old Luke and 8 years old Cassie - Health issues
        Daoud - Peace.
        Edith D.
        Christina P.
        Dena T.