dead sea Scroll Psalms

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2002
      Dead Sea Scroll Psalms

      Note: These psalms from the Dead Sea Scrolls are not from the Book of Psalms in the Old Testament but from another collection. The Qumran/Essene group used several collections of hymns.

      This first one, Psalm 8, probably was written by the Teacher of Righteousness, the mysterious founder and prophet of the group. Here he reflects on the difficulties he was going through.

      Psalm 8

      I thank you, O Lord.
      You illumined my face by your covenant.
      I seek you,
      As sure as the dawn you appear as perfect Light.

      Teachers of lies have comforted your people
      and now they stumble, foolishly.
      They abhor themselves
      and do not esteem me through whom your wonders
      and powers are manifest.
      They have banished me from my land like a bird
      from its nest, and my friends
      and neighbors are driven from me.
      They think me a broken pot.
      They preach lies. They are dissembling prophets.
      They devise baseness against me,
      exchanging your teaching, written in my heart,
      for smooth words.
      They deny knowledge to the thirsty
      and force them to drink vinegar to cover up error.
      They stumble through mad feasts,
      but you, God, spurn the schemes of Belial.
      Your wisdom prevails.
      Your hearts meditation prevails, established forever.

      This next hymn, probably also authored by the Teacher of  Righteousness, gives us a glimpse of the  rich spirituality of this ancient Jewish monastic community that  existed just before and during the time of Jesus.

      God is Light.
      Psalm 23:

      Your Holy Spirit
      illuminates the dark places of the heart
      of your servant,
      with Light like the sun.
      I look to the covenants made by men,
      worthless.