Re: Story of the Church, dollars and a syrian connection!!

  • Ronnie Daniel
    Message 1 of 3365 , Aug 27, 2005
      Dear Alexander,

      I read about the " BIG AMOUNT OF MONEY BROUGHT IN BY THE SYRIAN
      FATHERS TO KERALA IN THE YEAR OF AD 345 " mentioned on the
      Mulanthuruthi padiyola posted on your websites. So, money was an
      issue for growth of the church since AD 345. Why should we deny
      this fact.
      The Syrian merchants were settled in the North part of Kerala and
      traded from there and churches were built and revived the Sagging
      St. Thomas Christians. Truth is truth. My little knowldege about the
      church history ( acquired just recently ) tells me that the north
      was a powerful lobby because of the traders influence in the North.
      Most of the early fathers after the Pakalomattom Bishops too were
      from the north.
      North were basically rich traders and south were poor farmers. This
      sceanario got reversed following the English Education and
      Protestant missionaries work in the south. English education made
      many people from the south to migrate overseas bringing prosperity,
      education and knowledge to the central travancore and south. Hence
      the economic balance of power shifted to the south. More churches
      and biships happened to be from the St. thomas Christians from the
      south denying opportunity for the Syrian Christians of the North.
      This is my read on it and may be I am wrong. Dont be my critique,
      but correct me if I am wrong. As i told you guys erlier , I am
      taking it as a learning exercise.
      So, if you say economic growth has no influence on the current
      dispute and church as a whole, I cannot fully agree with you.

      Secondly, if financial stability is not part of SOC's agenda, why
      should you stick on and fight for property. 500 to 3000 families
      means you can build at least 6 churches. You know my mother church
      in Kerala which is one of the 5 top economically performing church
      in our Niranam Dioceses has around 250-300 families only.
      You have upto 3000 families in a church and you are still saying
      that it has difficulty it meeting expenses.
      I smell a lot of conflicts in what you wrote.
      And if there are 3000 families I am sure that these families will be
      travelling miles and miles to attend a service. That means you need
      a lot more resources to build churches for these families.

      I understand that the crux of the current dispute between these two
      faction is the denial of equal opportunities to families in the
      north. And this cannot be resolved in a united church so long as my
      church in the south with 250 families and and your church in the
      north with 3000 families get the same representation in the
      Malankara Association. I really dont know whethr this system has
      changed already. Earlier it was vicar and 2 reps from each church.

      Anyway what i am saying is that if needed you should operate as a
      seperate Jacobite Church with a different administration altogether
      so that the people supporting your group are not humiliated.
      But, dont jump from frying pan to fire. Why you should surrender
      your freedom to a foreign church. Thats all I have to say my brother.

      Prayerfully
      Ronnie Daniel
      ID # 2304
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com