Re: MANIPULATIONS BY THE ORTHODOX CHURCH IN THE KOLENCHERRY CHURCH ISSUE

  • Ronnie Daniel
    Message 1 of 3394 , Aug 25, 2005
      Dear Moderators

      As rightly pointed out by the Resp. Cheveliar, the purpose of establishing the Kolenchery church was to provide religious services to the Malankara Syrian Christian believers. But, who decide on the content of the religious service. If it is decided by members from the Kolencheri church, may be at some point of time the Protestant sympathisers in the church will convert it into a faith home.

      If the Mulanthuruty Padiyola and other padiyolas given on your websites are any indication, matters of faith are decided by the Malankara Syrian Christian Holy Synod/Association. It met at Mulanthuruthi under the presidentship of HH the Patriarch Peter III and decided to operate under the Antiocean patriarch. Then the same Holy Synod constituted of the descendants of the same people who attended the Mulanthuruthi Synod/Association formally made a constitution for the Indian Church in 1934. At that point of time our Mulanthuruthi Padiyola ceased its relevance and has changed to 1934 constitution. I would have agreed, had someone raised the validity of the 1934 constitution. It is usual that the new decisions replaces the old decisions in any associations or companies or even in Parish Assembly. This is what exactly your faction claims when you say that the Parish Assembly has the freedom to change membership of an association. Why not we apply the same rule to the Malankara Syrian Christian Association/Malankara synod while deciding who should be its head.

      Resp. Chevalior agrees in para 2 that "Mulanthuruthy synod was held for the purpose of curtailing the autocratic powers of the MALANKARA Metropolitan". That means the Synod in India had the decision making power. And every believer who believed in the Mulanthuruthy Synod is bound by the subsequent decisions of the Synod in India. What would have happened if few churches from our southern dioceses decided to dissent the Mulanthuruthi decision and made a parallel church in south?? Is it not the same thing happened when the Marthoma church separated from us. They appears to be dissented against the majority in the Malankara Syrian Christian Association and they quit and built their own church. May be same is the case with the Malankara RiteĀ…. So, ultimately the decision making body as far as anything concerning a believer whether it is spiritual or temporal is the Synod in Kerala. In fact is it not this Synod in Kerala which sought the help of the Syrian Holy patriarchs when we were in trouble. Don't we have a right to reverse that decision.

      Further, it would appear that a parallel establishment was in existence in Malankara for Jacobites since 1975 when HG Mor Paulos Philoxenos of blessed memory was elevated as Catholicos. Why did HG moved out of Kolencheri church and power was given to H.H.Baselios Marthoma Mathews l.

      Unlike the Manarcadu church or some other church which were always under the Jacobite faction, the Kolenchery church has a pretty long history of being administered by the Orthodox side and its 1934 constitution. Therefore, what is wrong with a lay person like me from the south assuming that it is the Jacobite faction which is creating trouble.

      My read on this whole story is that, if the parish churches do have a written constitution made at time of establishing the parish church, stipulating conditions for joining or withdrawing from an association, that rule must be respected first. If the parish church do not have a written constitution or bylaw of its own and was ruled by decision of the elder or the Uniform Parish Regulation (UPR) of the Malankara Syrian orthodox Church Association, then the Malankara UPR should be the rule of thumb.

      Rgds
      Ronnie Daniel
      ID # 2304
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com