Independence Day - In praise of India

  • Viji
    Message 1 of 3395 , Aug 18, 2005
      Dear Members

      We all agreee India has weakness and strong points. I believe India has more strong points than weaknesses. Thousands of communities of different beliefs, races, languages, jatis, lifetstyles and values still are able live in peaceful existence not today or yesterday for for several thousands of India.

      People may criticize or find shortcomings in our systems. But the above cannot be found in any other country or civilization over such a long period of time.

      A.H. Venkitesh (Viji)

      In Praise of India

      1. Will Durant, American historian: "India was the motherland of our race, and
      Sanskrit the mother of Europe's languages: she was the mother of our philosophy;
      mother, through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics; mother, through the
      Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity; mother, through the village community,
      of self-government and democracy. Mother India is in many ways the mother of
      us all"

      2. Mark Twain, American author: "India is, the cradle of the human race,
      the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of
      legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. our most valuable and most
      instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only."

      3. Albert Einstein, American scientist: "We owe a lot to the Indians,
      who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific
      discovery could have been made."

      4. Max Mueller, German scholar: If I were asked under what sky
      the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts,
      has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found
      solutions, I should point to India.

      5. Romain Rolland, French scholar : "If there is one place on the face
      of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very
      earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India."

      6. Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA: "India conquered and
      dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single
      soldier across her border."

      7. Mark Twain: "So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone,
      either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the
      sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked."

      8. Keith Bellows, VP - National Geographic Society : "There are some parts
      of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and wonÂ’t go. For me,
      India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness
      of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to
      overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors,
      smells, tastes, and sounds... I had been seeing the world in black & white and,
      when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in
      brilliant technicolor."

      9. Mark Twain: "India has two million gods, and worships them all. In religion
      all other countries are paupers; India is the only millionaire."

      10. A Rough Guide to India: "It is impossible not to be astonished by India.
      Nowhere on Earth does humanity present itself in such a dizzying, creative
      burst of cultures and religions, races and tongues. Enriched by successive
      waves of migration and marauders from distant lands, every one of them left
      an indelible imprint which was absorbed into the Indian way of life. Every aspect
      of the country presents itself on a massive, exaggerated scale, worthy in
      comparison only to the superlative mountains that overshadow it. It is this variety
      which provides a breathtaking ensemble for experiences that is uniquely Indian.
      Perhaps the only thing more difficult than to be indifferent to India would be to
      describe or understand India completely. There are perhaps very few nations
      in the world with the enormous variety that India has to offer. Modern day India
      represents the largest democracy in the world with a seamless picture of unity
      in diversity unparalleled anywhere else."

      From the desk of the Moderator:

      Please sign your messages with member ID. If not having a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID before posting any more messages in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3395 of 3395 , Nov 30
        Dear honorable members

        Greetings in HIS name