Re: In regards to the Oppressed, Poor and the Needy?

  • John Joseph
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
      Dear Thomas

      Thanks for the posting.
      Very appropriate message for Malankara Church
      John Joseph
    • George Varghese
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
        To� rgphilipos

        I request you to read the the malayalam book� "Sishu Snaanam -� Tharkkangalkku Viraamam"
        written by Fr. Sunny Abraham of the Marthoma Church.� All your doubts can be cleared.

        There is n't�� any proof in the bible for and against� child baptism.� That is the truth.

        George Varhgese/Kuwait

        "rgphilipos" wrote:

        Hi all,

        Let me first introduce myself. I was born to Jacobite parents and
        attend the church whenever I am in Kerala. However, I do not know
        much of the doctrines of our church and I would love to know more.
        Hence, I subscribed to this group.

        I had many questions, one among them being child baptism and how it
        is done in the Jacobite church...

      • thomas_pa1
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
          Since this is an open letter, I have few quesions:

          - Is Indian Orthodox a really bad word? A church can be called by many
          names. Many innocently use the name "Indian Orthodox", especially
          faithful from other Orthodox churches in the world, to denote
          Orthodox Christians from India. These Orthodox Christians from
          poor Orthodox nations also take great pride that there is an Orthodox
          church in India. They feel great about it - that their faith is
          growing. Of course, this depends on one's mind set - whether one is
          more interested in the growth of Orthodox church or lesser wordly
          problems.

          - Regarding constitution, there is the ancient Apostolic
          constitutions. Every church has a constitution to exist in this world.
          We also need one.

          Let us drop wordly and silly arguments (throne, constitution,
          nation/language names etc.) and develop a broader understanding of
          church of Orthodox faith, unity between churches etc. The Church
          confessing same faith is one, no division or seperation there.
          If we reach that realisation, peace will prevail in the Church and in
          our minds. It is a very simple concept, but very difficult to
          experience and accept.

          Malankara church is not the only Orthodox church with internal
          disputes. Every Orthodox church is facing similar problems, thus
          inhibiting the growth. Let us make a difference with a simple
          understanding.

          Peace to you and to all.

          -T

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "MalankaraVoice.cjb.net" wrote:
          > Here is enclosed an open letter from Jacob V Joshua, New Delhi to
          one Fr.Eapen, a member of Methran Kakshi. Through this, Joshua is
          giving a clear idea on the latest developments in the Malankara
          Church.
        • V Thomas
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
            Dear Sir,
            My condolence to you and the bereaved family.We pray for the departed soul.
            Regards
            vmt
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
              Thank you for repling to my query.

              I do not read Malayalam (can speak, though) so I might not get the book. I
              did check the website that I was refered to.

              It is clear from the site and from the reply that I got, that there is
              nothing in the bible for or against infant baptism. But, if we look at the
              Acts, baptism always followed believing in Christ. In Matt 28:19, we first
              become disciples and then get baptized. Baptism is always the next step
              after you believe in Christ. Why would you baptize an infant apart from
              tradition's sake?
              Are we not to believe in the Bible alone? Traditions are okay as long as
              they dont contradict the Bible.

              This again is my humble opinion and I dont want to be picky. More important
              is to have a personal relationship with Christ and He will lead us to the
              truth in all matters.

              Love In Christ,
              Rajesh.