In regards to the Oppressed, Poor and the Needy?

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 23, 2002
      In regards to the poor and the needy?
      Zechariah 7:8-10
      Then the word of the LORD came to Zechariah, saying, "Thus says the LORD of hosts:
      'Execute true justice,
      Show mercy and compassion
      Everyone to his brother.
      Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless,
      The alien or the poor.
      Let none of you plan evil in his heart
      Against his brother.'
      Micah 6:8
      He has shown you, O man,what is good;
      And what does the LORD require of you
      But to do justly,
      To love mercy,
      And to walk humbly with your GOD?
      Luke 6:32-38
      "But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the MOST HIGH. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore be merciful, just as your FATHER also is merciful. "Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running
      over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."
      Hosea 4:6
      My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge...
      2 Peter 3:18
      But grow in the grace and knowledge of our LORD and SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST.
      To HIM be the glory both now and forever
      .
      Amen.

    • =?iso-8859-1?q?Philip?
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 23, 2002

        About Infant Baptism etc.

        Please refer the following link, maintained by St.Ignatius Church, Texas for the concerned matter.

         http://www.stignatious.com/salvation2.htm

        The article is the reproduced from the book written by Malankara Malpan, Very Rev Kaniamparambil Kurien Cor-episcopa, one of the greatest scholars of the centuary.  The transalation was done by Mr.Paul Philipose.

        JP

          rgphilipos@... wrote:

        Hi all,

        Let me first introduce myself. I was born to Jacobite parents and
        attend the church whenever I am in Kerala. However, I do not know
        much of the doctrines of our church and I would love to know more....
      • DANIEL BABU PAUL
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 23, 2002
          please tell his parents that I am putting him on my regular prayer list for the sick.
          TOTUS TUUS MARIA
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
            Shlomo! May the peace of our Lord abide with all of us.

            It is rather disturbing to find the upsurge of messages that advocate
            hatred, harshness, and other unchristian attitudes and actions in
            defense of the Church. Understandably, our Church is in a crisis and
            under siege from forces that seek our destruction. These are,
            however, not new situations for the Church which has survived nearly
            2000 years of adversity by the strength of its faith in God, strict
            adherence to the ideals that our Lord taught His children to uphold,
            and the spiritual discipline of incessant prayer and fasting. The
            early Church which faced persecution from the Jewish religious
            authorities as well as the Roman and Persian civil authorities
            emerged triumphantly by upholding the ideals enshrined in the
            Gospels. Evil will not overcome evil; as our Lord Himself tells
            us "all who take the sword will perish by the sword." (Matt. 26:51-
            53). Our instinct to use words and actions of hatred should be
            moderated by the knowledge that everyone is judged by his deeds at
            the day of reckoning. Resorting to words and deeds that do not befit
            a Christian diminishes our moral standing in the society; the graver
            consequence is that we deprive ourselves of a confident stand in the
            presence of our Creator. I recognize the importance of disseminating
            the facts, but this can be done without the hatred and rancour that
            does not befit an elect people of God; let the facts speak for
            themselves.

            In these days of much anxiety, I implore my brethren in Christ to
            pray diligently for our Church and its children that we emerge from
            this crisis stronger and without losing our souls to the devil. Let
            us resolve not to play into the hands of those who harbor illwill.
            Let us resist evil with good, strengthening ourselves with prayer and
            fasting. We may lose material possessions, but if we are steadfast in
            our faith and our hope and trust in God we have indeed lost nothing.

            Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
            Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources
            (http://sor.cua.edu)
          • Thomas Daniel
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
              Dear forum memebrs
              This is to inform you that the sudden demise of my niece Ms.Sindhu,w/o.Benz Mammen,Thoompunkal,Mavelikkara and D/O.Mrs.Lillykutty Thampy & Late Mr.Thampy Oommen, Pazhayaparambil Kandathil, Kattodu, Thiruvalla (D/O.Late Mr.D.Abraham, Karimpanackal Puthenpurayil,Cheppad), which happened on 23rd April.The funeral will be on 26th April at 11 am .
              Please pray for the soul.
              Thomas Daniel

            • John Joseph
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
                Dear Thomas

                Thanks for the posting.
                Very appropriate message for Malankara Church
                John Joseph
              • George Varghese
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
                  To� rgphilipos

                  I request you to read the the malayalam book� "Sishu Snaanam -� Tharkkangalkku Viraamam"
                  written by Fr. Sunny Abraham of the Marthoma Church.� All your doubts can be cleared.

                  There is n't�� any proof in the bible for and against� child baptism.� That is the truth.

                  George Varhgese/Kuwait

                  "rgphilipos" wrote:

                  Hi all,

                  Let me first introduce myself. I was born to Jacobite parents and
                  attend the church whenever I am in Kerala. However, I do not know
                  much of the doctrines of our church and I would love to know more.
                  Hence, I subscribed to this group.

                  I had many questions, one among them being child baptism and how it
                  is done in the Jacobite church...

                • thomas_pa1
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
                    Since this is an open letter, I have few quesions:

                    - Is Indian Orthodox a really bad word? A church can be called by many
                    names. Many innocently use the name "Indian Orthodox", especially
                    faithful from other Orthodox churches in the world, to denote
                    Orthodox Christians from India. These Orthodox Christians from
                    poor Orthodox nations also take great pride that there is an Orthodox
                    church in India. They feel great about it - that their faith is
                    growing. Of course, this depends on one's mind set - whether one is
                    more interested in the growth of Orthodox church or lesser wordly
                    problems.

                    - Regarding constitution, there is the ancient Apostolic
                    constitutions. Every church has a constitution to exist in this world.
                    We also need one.

                    Let us drop wordly and silly arguments (throne, constitution,
                    nation/language names etc.) and develop a broader understanding of
                    church of Orthodox faith, unity between churches etc. The Church
                    confessing same faith is one, no division or seperation there.
                    If we reach that realisation, peace will prevail in the Church and in
                    our minds. It is a very simple concept, but very difficult to
                    experience and accept.

                    Malankara church is not the only Orthodox church with internal
                    disputes. Every Orthodox church is facing similar problems, thus
                    inhibiting the growth. Let us make a difference with a simple
                    understanding.

                    Peace to you and to all.

                    -T

                    --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., "MalankaraVoice.cjb.net" wrote:
                    > Here is enclosed an open letter from Jacob V Joshua, New Delhi to
                    one Fr.Eapen, a member of Methran Kakshi. Through this, Joshua is
                    giving a clear idea on the latest developments in the Malankara
                    Church.
                  • V Thomas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
                      Dear Sir,
                      My condolence to you and the bereaved family.We pray for the departed soul.
                      Regards
                      vmt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 24, 2002
                        Thank you for repling to my query.

                        I do not read Malayalam (can speak, though) so I might not get the book. I
                        did check the website that I was refered to.

                        It is clear from the site and from the reply that I got, that there is
                        nothing in the bible for or against infant baptism. But, if we look at the
                        Acts, baptism always followed believing in Christ. In Matt 28:19, we first
                        become disciples and then get baptized. Baptism is always the next step
                        after you believe in Christ. Why would you baptize an infant apart from
                        tradition's sake?
                        Are we not to believe in the Bible alone? Traditions are okay as long as
                        they dont contradict the Bible.

                        This again is my humble opinion and I dont want to be picky. More important
                        is to have a personal relationship with Christ and He will lead us to the
                        truth in all matters.

                        Love In Christ,
                        Rajesh.