RE: Treachery (Reply to Dn George Mathew)

  • Rev. Dn. Zacharia Varghese
    Message 1 of 3367 , Jun 25, 2005
      Dear Moderators,

      I read with interest Dn. George's reply to a post concerning "treachery" and feel compelled to reply.

      First, as an aside, I cannot believe that the Dn. is not aware of many members in various Orthodox forums using pen names or group names. Why does he single one out (KEFA) for "hiding." Maybe because they are a recent voice of truth that takes the Dn. out of the Devalokam "comfort zone?"

      Secondly, the Dn. laments the return of Mor Severios to the Syriac Orthodox Church. He writes that he "still" loves him, AS IF MOR SEVERIOS SINNED OR DID EVIL by leaving the Metran faction. His sin was leaving the Syrian Church. If I recall, the Methran faction did not ordain Mor Severios, but merely accepted him and his property. Their leadership did not have a strong position for him, and I am sure Mor Severios felt guilty for causing the universal church such hardship. So he came back to his mother church. Mor Severios need not be lamented, but applauded. His example needs to be copied. The fact that he was accepted shows how the universal church takes care of all kinds of sinners.

      The real issue is why the Metran faction accepts bishops ordained by a Patriarch it rejects. Could it be... money, an opportunity to gain legitamacy, a desire to destroy the true church? You fill in the blank.

      Of course, I regret if I am being too hard on the Dn. He now knows what it feels like to have a leader switch sides. It is my sincerest desire that the Dn. follow in Mor Severios' footsteps. Such an action would demonstrate true "love" (to quote the Dn.) for Mor Severios. Come - join the true church Dn. Be in step with our Lord, your forefathers, and all the saints.

      As to the Dn.'s charges of non charitable speech with respect toward those who have cheated the church, misused their authority and church property, and have caused unbelievable damage to the Christian reputation, I find his words comical. It is pointless "to judge" people who are speaking ill of those who deserve such speech. Better than criticise us for a non charitable attitude, why doesn't the Dn. ask Mor Nicolovos to return the property he took with him when he left us? Or demand that the court cases filed by Devalokam end? Is the Dn. really saying that there aren't those who speak with hate, pride, and jealousy in his church? Need I point out the current leadership struggle between Milithios and Pachomios? Or the problems caused by the Nicolovos faction in the U.S.?

      True charity in the Church, dear Dn, begins by having godly leadership to set the example. Where is yours? Come on Dn. If you raise your hand to criticize, do it appropriately.

      Dn. Zacharia Varghese, M.D.
      St. Ignatious Church, Dallas
      St. Mary's Church, Houston
      Member ID 0970